Sponsored

your thoughts on parking outdoors

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
I drove pieces of crap when I lived in an apartment. Moved up a bit when I bought a condo, no garage, but it had a nice covered parking spot. Now I have a garage, and my Boss is always parked in it when "not in use." I like a garage because of all the obvious reasons, but it keeps it out of the sun too. I always wondered about car covers, never used one, but wondered if it would scratch the car if the car was dirty....

Buy the cheapest condo with a garage, would be my advice....write off all the interest.
Sponsored

Long Run Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 ECB Manual Prem PP Nav CO "Orange Crush"
Find a significant other who has a garage. Live with him/her. No rent. With the money you save you can buy a 350 GT R. :)

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
with a car cover, unless your car is always spotless, it can and will do more harm then it does good.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I will emphasize my point that I mentioned earlier:

Pay for a paint correction and coating upfront, then you shouldn't have to worry about bird droppings and other harmful contaminants for a while (obviously do your research on this before hand in regards to coating longevity and what your car is protected from).

The coating will NOT protect from the rare chance of hail or door dings, but hey, it is better than nothing.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I have a 16x28 detached garage on my property. A few years back I moved my driveway. Now I have no vehicle access to my garage. I have just ordered a GT/CS vert and I am expecting it within the next 2 - 3 months. Before the car arrives I am lifting and moving my garage so I can park my car in it every night. I guess I am a looking at it a little different because it's a connvertible. :D

This is my thoughts on outside parking:thumbsup:

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Check with the apartment manager about what type of vehicle protection is allowed. Most will not allow the 'tent-quonset hut' type of semi-permanent cover. If you decide on a car cover, make sure that it can 'breathe' to allow moisture to pass through the cover-otherwise a great way to accelerate corrosion. The car cover should also have a 'soft' interior layer. A strong wind could quickly cause the cover to abrade the soft clear coat-paint found on the new Mustangs.

Stangman21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2016 Premium
I recommend in picking up a good car cover. Chances are you won't be using it all the time since it is annoying to put on and take off, but it is great to have.

I also suggest on getting the car coated Cquartz, Modesta, or the like. If not, make sure the paint always has a nice coat of wax/sealant on it.
+1 on this. I live in a house but no room for the stang in the garage. A little cleaning and checking on bird droppings or whatever from the elements is good. Stock up on Adams Polishes for detailing needs.

I used to own a car cover. And also became a problem on a daily driver. So just be sure to have a sealant on your paint or H20 guard and gloss from Adams Polishes. It'll be fine outside.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I park my GT outside because my condo doesn't have a garage and I also parked my previous Mustang outside. I owned that Mustang for nine years and it looked brand new when I traded it in for my S550. I'm in FL so no snow but crazy hot sun can also beat the hell out of a car. I also agree with having a coating applied so you don't have to worry about bird poop and tree sap. I had CQuartz finest applied to my GT a few days after taking delivery in November and it looks brand new.

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
If I couldn't afford a place with a garage, I wouldn't want to have a car that I loved. It's like having a supermodel girlfriend and leaving her drunk, passed out around a group of strangers...and you aren't there to keep an eye on things.
so I should bang a fat girl instead? :frusty:

Pootie_Stang

Wah Dah Ta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP Base
my #1 priority when picking apartments is a garage. I normally move around every couple years, only pick places with a garage. My last place had a big shared multi level garage, so I paid for two reserved spots with one next to a wall. Parked in the one by the wall and paid for the one next to it so no one was around me.

My new place has an individual garage and I sleep SOOOOOO much more sound knowing my car is isolated and safe.

Sponsored

RARR_LS2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I couldn't do it
image.gif

OP
OP
Joelang33

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Whippled 16 Mustang GT Premium PP
To all of you that told me pick a different apartment....lol its already reserved for me and I put a deposit down. it is basically a duplex it is an older house and I have the entire top floor. someone living in the bottom floor. The plus side to no garage is at least it has a private little lot behind the house where it is hidden from the street. so I don't really have to worry about some dumbass dinging it or anything like that. also there is no trees so sap is out of the question as well. I am curious about the people that said car covers can damage the car more than protect it? how so? does the car have to be freshly washed in order to use the cover and not scratch because of dirt etc? believe me I would have gotten a garage if I could but this was too great of an option for me and my girlfriend not to get this place. the price is right for my budget so I am just weighing my options of what im gonna do with the stang....

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
To all of you that told me pick a different apartment....lol its already reserved for me and I put a deposit down. it is basically a duplex it is an older house and I have the entire top floor. someone living in the bottom floor. The plus side to no garage is at least it has a private little lot behind the house where it is hidden from the street. so I don't really have to worry about some dumbass dinging it or anything like that. also there is no trees so sap is out of the question as well. I am curious about the people that said car covers can damage the car more than protect it? how so? does the car have to be freshly washed in order to use the cover and not scratch because of dirt etc? believe me I would have gotten a garage if I could but this was too great of an option for me and my girlfriend not to get this place. the price is right for my budget so I am just weighing my options of what im gonna do with the stang....

If your car is dirty and the paint is covered in debris, dragging a car cover over the car will induce swirls and scratches. I would only use the cover on a freshly cleaned car, but that is just me.

Since you have a hidden lot, maybe you can set up a tent of some sort for the car? I'm sure others will chime in!

Stangman21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2016 Premium
If you must choose the car cover route then go with Covercraft.

http://www.covercraft.com/us/en/vehicle-covers

These are high end covers that fit perfectly for your GT stang. But I agree with Joe 5.0 in regards to your car. It has to be clean if you want to use the car cover. If it's filthy (bird droppings, road grime, etc.) it will rub against the liner and all over your cars paint and scratch and swirl.

CorryBasler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
Until i get me a dependa, I'll be stuck parking outside in the barracks parking lots.

It sucks to have to wash all the time, but its just what you have to do :(
Sponsored