PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
On my phone, that sounds like chain slap... Just a guess

I had a 3.5 Nissan that sounded like that ish when the chain guides went.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I hear two noises in that last video. The higher "tick" sounds like a solenoid going berserk and cycling on/off a million times a second.

I also hear a grumbling kind of diesel-like noise.

Does the tick change with RPM?

Does the diesel noise change volume or tone at all if you blip the gas?

I have some type of transmission issue and it's literally causing the BBQ-like tick and a similar diesel sound. Hoping it's the release bearing and not something internal. I am at the end of my service contract and taking it back to the dealer (again) to try to have it diagnosed and fixed before that runs out.

OP
OP

BurnsS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP Premium
I hear two noises in that last video. The higher "tick" sounds like a solenoid going berserk and cycling on/off a million times a second.

I also hear a grumbling kind of diesel-like noise.

Does the tick change with RPM?

Does the diesel noise change volume or tone at all if you blip the gas?

I have some type of transmission issue and it's literally causing the BBQ-like tick and a similar diesel sound. Hoping it's the release bearing and not something internal. I am at the end of my service contract and taking it back to the dealer (again) to try to have it diagnosed and fixed before that runs out.
1. The tick does change with RPM. Only happens like once or so a week. Under no specific conditions. It’s been going on for a few months, but started right before the weather cooled down. Happens long enough to pull away and stop then good for a few days.

2. The second one you’re hearing does sound diesel like right?? I’ve had it at the dealer for 3-4 days at a time. It’s gotten worse and I don’t hav much time to fool around with ceratec or different weights of oil to try and smooth it out.

I’m under warrant for another 12 months. So I’m going to try and get all of this right on Fords dime.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Take it back to them and tell them to pull the front cover and check the VCT's...

If the car is under warranty, and you have already had them document all concerns - like as in on your work order you see the actual documentation in writing - keep driving it and if it implodes or ventilates the block - you can tell them "told ya there was a concern"... Sure, I'm being sarcastic in the end there, no one wants to go through that BS, but there isn't much else to do if the Dealer isn't willing to dig further.

Aside from the above, your choices are:

1) Find another Ford Dealer and schedule an appointment with them. Show them your vids OR tell them you want to go on a drive with the Tech, Service Writer or Shop Foreman so you being present to point out the concerns.

2) Call the Ford 800#, ask for a Supervisor and tell them you want a Regional Rep. and Case opened about your concerns. They will open a Case with the existing Dealership and at that point, your vehicle gets priority AND the Dealership must work with Ford to satisfy your concerns. I will tell you this up front - the Ford Rep will also tell you the same as I did in #1 above, that if you're not getting resolution at your local Dealer, to try another.... They will still open a Case for you so things are documented but, that's your options.

3) Sell the car or Lemon it (if applicable by your Home State Lemon Laws). Not being sarcastic here. Some folks are not happy even if their concern is actually found to be "normal" (and normal meaning totally within Ford's specs and determinations of normal) or if the vehicle still comes back with the same issue. Unfortunately, it's a mechanical object, not all engines or internals are the same (regardless of miles or model year), so they're NOT going to sound the same at all when comparing other vehicles to yours.

My guess is there's a VCT issue which encompasses the timing chains.

Have you or Ford Tech checked for any exhaust leaks at the manifolds or mid pipe? Exhaust leaks will also sound like "ticks".

5.Slow.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 3
Sounds perfectly normal to me. I had a big problem with engine tick. After throwing a cat back on my car I noticed a huge difference the tick is basically gone now. Leads me to wonder if somehow the stock exhaust is linked to all of these people having the BBQ tick. There's 1,000,000 theories on it, but who knows.
Sponsored