Sponsored

Would you consider buying a 2015 Mustang if it were equipped with .........?

lengnert

Threads
Reaction score
Ok, we have a thread or two with wish lists for the next generation Mustang.

This thread is for answering the question(s) about if the next Mustang were to be equipped with something you maybe wouldn't be so excited about.

There are some obvious components, options or traits from current and previous Mustangs that some may not be enthusiastic about.

Rules of thread:

The post above you will contain a feature which if equipped on the next Mustang, you will have to decide whether or not it would be a "Deal Breaker" to keep you from buying the car.

If you are the first to answer "yes" or "no", you get to pick the next feature up for the next person to choose.

And it carries on from there.

It is fair to note that anything anyone puts up for decision is theoretical in nature.

OK? I will start. As a nod to BasiliskST, I will have chosen the following feature. He made mention of a rear suspension design that had fallen into my deep recesses of memory, but I think deserves some mention. That design is the De Dion rear suspension system.

In consideration of the performance Ford has been able to achieve from the Live Rear Axle system, I think there is some merit to the De Dion system. I can imagine given the same impetus to achieve greatness with the De Dion as they did with LRA, Ford could really achieve greatness.

Not only could they achieve some of the 'benefits' that IRS can achieve, but they retain the 'benefits' of the LRA.

So, if Ford chose to perfect the De Dion suspension for the 2015 Mustang, would that be a No No for you?
Sponsored

blackstallion4209

The Stallion
Threads
Reaction score
I don't know much about that setup, and don't know of any other cars with it. So I'd probably avoid it, at least for a year or two to see how it is.

Now, if Ford replaces the 5.0 in GT models with an Ecoboost v6, would you still buy it? (there's only 1 correct answer lol)

OP
OP

lengnert

Threads
Reaction score
No, not as the GT model. The GT model is historically offered in V8 form and always should be, in my opinion.

Now, would I consider buying a V6 EB model over a 5.0 GT, if both were offered? That, I don't have an answer for. It would depend on circumstances (cost of purchase, insurance and whom besides me would be driving) and the differences I would discern after driving both.

Would you buy the next gen Mustang if it were aesthetically beautiful/sexy/(insert really any adjective which evokes an outstanding looking car - HERE -) to you, but drew NO inspiration in it's styling from any previous Mustang before it?

OP
OP

lengnert

Threads
Reaction score
I will answer my own question here since 'traffic' has been a bit light on here.

Yes, if I found the new Mustang that appealing I would forgive Ford for not incorporating design cues from past Mustangs. The caveat being, that it would have to look outstanding and still look like a proper American pony/muscle car.

Next question:

Would you buy the next Mustang GT (GT being the operative model here) if Ford were to revert back to a V8 engine of less than 5 liters in displacement?

Rev

Threads
Reaction score
Lengnert, I looked up the De Dion design. I can't say any advantages come to mind other than keeping the weight centrally located and you would have very little unsprung weight keeping the car as nimble as possible, however it could take up some trunk space and even the spot for the fuel tank. The big bar on the rear, I believe makes it a LRA, and as great as the LRA has been, IRS is just that much more advantageous. I would love to see that De Dion design in an ultra exotic since exotics are pretty much all compromises.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lengnert

Threads
Reaction score
Lengnert, I looked up the De Dion design. I can't say any advantages come to mind other than keeping the weight centrally located and you would have very little unsprung weight keeping the car as nimble as possible, however it could take up some trunk space and even the spot for the fuel tank. The big bar on the rear, I believe makes it a LRA, and as great as the LRA has been, IRS is just that much more advantageous. I would love to see that De Dion design in an ultra exotic since exotics are pretty much all compromises.

I don't disagree that an independent rear suspension is the best for all around handling. I also think that it gives the driver some added sense of stability even in day to day driving.

However, there are drawbacks to an independent rear suspension. Notably, because of it's added complexity an IRS needs to be engineered to much greater tolerances for it even to begin to be any benefit. It's complexity (and added articulation under different loads) also lends itself to reduced tire surface contact (with the road that is) in different circumstances. There is also the usual added weight to the system versus the DeDion or LRA.

But alas, my cries are falling on deaf ears anyways here as the Mustang itself will be part of the IRS crowd soon enough. :eek:

Rev

Threads
Reaction score
I'd argue that you would get more contact with the road, Lengnert. With a multilink, double wishbone, and even Ford's Control Blade that will be on the next Mustang, keep the contact patch fairly flat through the travel arc. With a short arm, long arm setup you get two different travel arcs and connecting points to the wheel hub (for lack of a better word), are two different points so as the wheel travels up the tire remains mostly flat.

This is a simple image but it illustrates it fairly well...

Lavien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
No, not as the GT model. The GT model is historically offered in V8 form and always should be, in my opinion.

Now, would I consider buying a V6 EB model over a 5.0 GT, if both were offered? That, I don't have an answer for. It would depend on circumstances (cost of purchase, insurance and whom besides me would be driving) and the differences I would discern after driving both.

Would you buy the next gen Mustang if it were aesthetically beautiful/sexy/(insert really any adjective which evokes an outstanding looking car - HERE -) to you, but drew NO inspiration in it's styling from any previous Mustang before it?
cool thread.

hey all, im new here (but not new to mustangs or other forums in general). just going through some old threads here.

if i may take a crack at this.... i would absolutely buy an aesthetically beautiful car even if it had no inspiration from the styling of previous mustangs SO LONG AS it maintains the same basic formula of long hood, short rear deck coupe, 2+2 seats, and offers a v8 (i would even consider a comparable EB v6). im in the camp that a few generations of the mustang were total outliers and i love that about it. thats part of the reason behind its longevity imo.

now the flip side.... would u buy a mustang if it was not aesthetically good looking but packed 911-like performance?

Deroxas2.0

now the flip side.... would u buy a mustang if it was not aesthetically good looking but packed 911-like performance?
Hell no. You better be getting something that looks good for 30-40k. Maybe if we're talking about a cheap econobox car that still performs well (doesn't exist) I could just get past the looks for the performance and price value. But not something in the Mustang's segment and price.

Deroxas2.0

Continuing the hypotheticals...

Would you guys get the Mustang if it was AWD?

Sponsored

shelby1k

Ugh. Not this whole debate again. Answer is no...... AWD will add weight, complexity and cost. Everything the Mustang should NOT be.

To answer the other question, I would buy a new Mustang (I'll stick with the GT500 or GT350, whatever they call it) if they came out with Fox like proportions and 911 performance, even if I wasn't totally in love with the looks. For the price, it would be too good to pass up.

A more realistic question is, would you buy the 2015 if it ends up looking like a Fusion coupe styling wise?

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Ugh. Not this whole debate again. Answer is no...... AWD will add weight, complexity and cost. Everything the Mustang should NOT be.

To answer the other question, I would buy a new Mustang (I'll stick with the GT500 or GT350, whatever they call it) if they came out with Fox like proportions and 911 performance, even if I wasn't totally in love with the looks. For the price, it would be too good to pass up.

A more realistic question is, would you buy the 2015 if it ends up looking like a Fusion coupe styling wise?
If it ends up looking too European, I'm sticking with my 13. I love my 13 so far. I wish it had irs however. That is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Maestro5.0

If it ends up looking too European, I'm sticking with my 13. I love my 13 so far. I wish it had irs however. That is what I'm looking forward to the most.
I can live with the Fusion front end. It's a great looking car with a lot of similarites to the Aston martin.

I dont really consider it "European" looking. It just looks more modern to me.

J.Darcy

Many of us have been waiting for IRS for a long time now.

Judging by the proportions of the prototype in the latest video and pics it doesn't look like it'll be too European (too slim or sleek).

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I can live with the Fusion front end. It's a great looking car with a lot of similarites to the Aston martin.

I dont really consider it "European" looking. It just looks more modern to me.
Yeah...I just don't think the next mustang should look like a fusion. I hope it doesn't for me, at least.
Sponsored