Would you buy Electric Mustang?

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Been meaning to post for a while. Nearly 50 years I've waited to get a V8 convertible. Ever since I saw a preview for BULLIT on "This Day Tonight" in the Sixties.
On Carsales several Ecoboosts are available mid $50s. Last 12 months only two GTs have appeared below $70 k - both at $69 k. One private, one from a Ford dealer.

Both great looking cars.
In essence I am paying $15 000 extra for that V8 rumble. I would not be using the power or performance - so it is simply the sound track to the sixties I am waiting to pay a premium for.

For sometime I have been considering a thread with this title. Now I read Ford actually are going to do a hybrid.

To me, so much of this iconic car is wrapped up in that deep throated idle and "bark" from dual exhausts. Reminiscent of my ZB Fairlane with Aunger Hot wires.

The hybrid performance is planned to equal the GT.
Would you buy an electric Mustang?
Sponsored

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White EB Black Roof and Stripes
I can understand people paying a premium just for the soundtrack. Like you said, the power of a V8 over the EB is rarely required. For me personally, I don't really care about the soundtrack that much.

Would I buy it? It depends. Lets say the Hybrid and the V8 is the same price, then it would come down to performance and specs and running costs etc etc. But if everything is the same, then I would probably pick the V8 option.

If the Hybrid is more expensive to buy, and save on running costs, I'd probably still pick the V8. Typically you wouldn't recover the extra spent buying a Hybrid from the running cost over the typical life of the car (5-10 years).

But if the Hybrid is cheaper, and has same performance as V8, then I'd definitely choose the Hybrid.

Jack110

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT fastback manual triple yellow
i wld love the hybrid in a v8 version best of both worlds

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
If it performed like the car I have now, sure, as long as I can keep my v-8 car too.

Sponsored

SteamPlane

Car, beer & whisky nerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT Convertible
While we all associate the Mustang with V8, we should remember the first model was a small inline 6 cylinder engine. And it sold like hotcakes.

Just my $0.02 (full disclosure – I have a V8 on order :D).

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Unfortunately I don't think we will see the hybrid mustang, Australia as always will get the hand me down cars eg no gt350 etc.

I personally don't care what's under the hood as long as it's got power, looks good, sounds good I'm happy.

This is my first V8 I've owned and to be honest not really impressed with the performance, sound.

So bring on the hybrid cars (Supra)

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
A hybrid car will mean more weight, so it will be interesting to see how they deal with this aspect.

MrMustang1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red mustang GT
Inevitably it is and will be the way of the future with mustang and all cars. I have had a few V8s over the years and am impressed with this one is a great alrounder. But as the world is changing pressure from echo tree huggers and do gooders on various manufacturers car's will wheather we like it or not will become electric. I personaly love the sound the smell etc that comes from internal combustion engines they have a character that can never be replaced by hybrids or electrics. Inevitably as I said though electric will be the thing of the future and we can do nothing about it.

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
No

Sponsored

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Yes

Malibu1

Malibu
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I am old school and a V8 fan. I will not buy a hybrid no matter how fast it is.

Sturty91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual
No

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
The V8 rumble is the only reason I didn't get an EcoBoost Stang, so I can't see myself going for a hybrid (4-cylinder?) Mustang, or a full 100% electric one.

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would put an order down today, for a V8 hybrid Mustang!

Doesnt seem likely though. Id rather see the whole brand die if the V8 has to. Regardless of power output or performance, for me a Mustang = V8.

No doubt whatever hybrid engine they use will be a great engine..... it just wont work for me in a mustang unless its V8.
For any 6 or 4 hybrid i'd be looking at something else.
Sponsored