Sponsored

With regular maintenance, how many miles can one get out of a 15-17 GT?

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
All you need to do is check around and ask the 2011-2014 owners. There has to be some in the 200s by now. And I am a Subaru guy at heart (I've owned 5 of them) but the reason I got out the game with them is because the EJ is NOT a reliable engine, stock, modded whatever. My last WRX had the FA and while I didn't have issues before I got rid of it, I lived in a state a Paranoia.

People can try to say "it all has to do with how you take care of it", not really the truth for the EJ. I have good buddies that have a Subaru performance shop and they make money hand over fist rebuilding, replacing engines. 100k is also almost warranted you will be replacing head gaskets. I have a friend that has a POS Outback with 300k I think. The N/A engines are more likely to last longer than the turbo'd.
I have a early build 2011 Mustang GT with 26,000 on the clock, still running strong.No problems or oil usage, and it's a S197 so it's perfect,:headbang: and will last 300,000 miles no problem.:D
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
The blocks have an explosive charge that detonates at exactly 36k.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

All you need to do is check around and ask the 2011-2014 owners. There has to be some in the 200s by now. And I am a Subaru guy at heart (I've owned 5 of them) but the reason I got out the game with them is because the EJ is NOT a reliable engine, stock, modded whatever. My last WRX had the FA and while I didn't have issues before I got rid of it, I lived in a state a Paranoia.

People can try to say "it all has to do with how you take care of it", not really the truth for the EJ. I have good buddies that have a Subaru performance shop and they make money hand over fist rebuilding, replacing engines. 100k is also almost warranted you will be replacing head gaskets. I have a friend that has a POS Outback with 300k I think. The N/A engines are more likely to last longer than the turbo'd.
If you are talking N/A engines that have forced induction later on, I can see how they wouldn't last as long.

If you are talking engines designed with forced induction in mind, that simply isn't true. Any modern engine should make it to at least 200k miles. My '03 Jetta TDI(TBE, Tuned, bigger turbo) had 300k miles on it and it ran perfectly when I sold it. The only reason I sold it was I wanted more tech features in a car. There are quite a few TDIs of all generations out there with at least 500-600k miles. Regular maintenance works wonders eh?

I have no doubt the ecoboost is capable of at least 200k miles.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you are talking N/A engines that have forced induction later on, I can see how they wouldn't last as long.

If you are talking engines designed with forced induction in mind, that simply isn't true. Any modern engine should make it to at least 200k miles. My '03 Jetta TDI(TBE, Tuned, bigger turbo) had 300k miles on it and it ran perfectly when I sold it. The only reason I sold it was I wanted more tech features in a car. There are quite a few TDIs of all generations out there with at least 500-600k miles. Regular maintenance works wonders eh?

Well said and 100% true. With that being said though too, there are plenty of 5.0's running around with 7 - 9lbs of boost with over 100K miles on the clock.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
People tend to put more miles on trucks so that is where you will see how long the 5.0 will last.

Sponsored

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
I had over 250K on my '88 GT when I sold it. Ran great. I have no reason to believe a newer 5.0 can't do the same.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd

What are you talking about? I was talking about a N/A EJ engine VS turbo'd.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
My babied we'll maintained 2004 f-150 blew a engine @120k and a tranny @150k so if I can get half that out of the stang I'll be happy!:headbonk:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

My STI knocked regularly in stock form. Just removing the intake silencer multiplied the knock events x10. I actually flashed the car back to stock and sold my Cobb unit towards the last year of ownership. I was tired of seeing all the detonation in my datalogs, and I figured it would be better to have it stock in case of engine popping.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

While I understand your point and agree with it, using a diesel as an example of mileage capabilities of a gasoline engine is probably not the best comparison. Diesel engines and fuel systems are built stronger than most gasoline engines. I have seen Ford diesel engine examples bought back from the field with 800k miles and no operational issues. This is always more common with the diesels. It is pretty rare to see a gasoline engine go over 500k.

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Iā€™d say unless something was wrong with your engine from the get go and it burns oil, 100k is no problem with the new 5.0.
Boosted, whole different can of worms, being that the compression ratio is 11.0:1, detonation is the enemy on pump gas. Look around in the FI section, you will see nobody likes to use pump gas because of the engine knock it causes when boosted. Everyone eventually goes E85 or starts adding MMT additives to suppress the knock, doing this might get you 100k miles if you are thinking of forced induction.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
There's no reason to believe that the major components like engine and transmission won't last hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of maintenance wise and not beat up on on a daily basis.

It's the rest of the car that you have to worry about falling apart, and that I am not as confident in as the drivetrain itself.
I would guess this. Most modern engines will go well into the 100K range even with design defects (like my 2005 5.4 Ford Triton). I drive all my cars well up to the high 100K range before I get rid of them. I have only had one (Nissan) that failed for an engine problem, and that was a snapped timing chain on an interference engine at about 180K. The Triton broke a chain guide, not a cheap fix but it survived. There will be many squeaks and rattles, but they will run.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I'm willing to bet it'll last twice as long as the Subie 4 banger

Never had an issue with my WRX. 80k miles stg 2(I bought it at 20k miles) and it was running just fine with I got rid of it and not a single issue. One of the best cars I have ever owned.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

While I understand your point and agree with it, using a diesel as an example of mileage capabilities of a gasoline engine is probably not the best comparison. Diesel engines and fuel systems are built stronger than most gasoline engines. I have seen Ford diesel engine examples bought back from the field with 800k miles and no operational issues. This is always more common with the diesels. It is pretty rare to see a gasoline engine go over 500k.
Diesels are the ones that suffered from getting gummed up(intake manifold, egr valve, etc). It isn't as bad now with ULSD. But yes, I know diesel engines are built pretty stout. The majority of gasser engines that make it 300k, 400k, 500k miles are low hp engines like old Acura and Honda models. With higher strung engines these days, I'd say most should reach 200k miles with regular maintenance.

urkmywrld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L
@ Nomadic: My ā€˜15 has made it almost 5700mi so far.

Mine is '17 Eco in 6 months I am at 4870 I would reach 100k fast I guess :D at this rate.
Sponsored