Winter tires for daily driver

ironguru49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Charger SRT 392 2016
I will be moving up north here soon and I just got my GT350. I know the stock tires are not good for cold weather driving, so I'm looking at doing a 2nd set of tires and rims for cold weather, not so much driving in the snow.

Any recommendations for good all weather tires? Thanks!
Sponsored

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Michelin alpine PA4s. Absolutely amazing. GT350 is my only car and it has been driven in snow many times including in hills and extremely challenging situations where AWD SUVs simply could not survive.

If you are going to drive the car in snow or even if you are not going to drive it actually in snow but will drive it in winter, you need to treat the underside of the car. I use fluid film for this, I have now done two full applications and could not be happier.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Michelin alpine PA4s. Absolutely amazing. GT350 is my only car and it has been driven in snow many times including in hills and extremely challenging situations where AWD SUVs simply could not survive.

If you are going to drive the car in snow or even if you are not going to drive it actually in snow but will drive it in winter, you need to treat the underside of the car. I use fluid film for this, I have now done two full applications and could not be happier.
No you don't.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
If you're going to avoid snow more than dusting or up 1" I use and recommend the BFG Comp2 A/S...I ran it on my 15 GT/PP and use them now on my Camaro SS

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I also love my Michelin Alpins and that's what I'm running right now. (not Alpine, but Alpin). However, @OP, these are not all weather tires. They are winters; take them off and put on your summers when the temp is consistently above 40F.

I don't know if you'll find all weather/all season tires for a GT 350. I have 2 sets of wheels with different rubber; stock for summer and the Michelin Alpins for winter and that's the setup I'd recommend.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ironguru49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Charger SRT 392 2016
Thanks for the suggestion, @nimblepony, it was my intentions to swap out the tires between summer and winter set. How do the stock handle in the temps around 45-60 degrees?

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
At 45F I noticed they can slip a bit in sport mode but you almost have to try. Nothing that would send you into a ditch or anything. Above that they act pretty normal. But below 45 they get real hard and don't grip the road.

For central Iowa that means I usually swap the tires + wheels at the end of October and then again usually at the end of March, although last year was particularly harsh and I needed to keep with winters until well into April.

By using the 40F guide I mentioned above, I've been able to keep the wear on my winters to a minimum. This set is on their second winter season and when I put them on, they still looked brand new.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The stock Michelin Pilot SS tires are fine all the way down in the 20s if you are careful and don't drive on icy days. I know that because we have wide temperature swings and I hate to use snows if it will get up into the 50s during the day. I've been fine with my Blizzaks for the last 4 years - first with a 2015 GT and now the GT350, but I haven't tried other offerings and I mostly just drive the GT350 in cold weather, not through snow.
Sponsored