Sponsored

Wind shear/noise in passenger door above 60 mph?

spicyypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I've had my car for almost 3 months at 3000 miles and have very recently started hearing an obvious wind shear/noise in the passenger door when driving on the freeway above 60 mph.

Anyone else experience this? I don't have any panel fitment issues and the door closes well, the weather strip guards look good also so I have no idea what's causing this.
Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I thought I heard it on mine from the driver's side but I can't quite pin it down so I haven't gone to service for it. I can't tell if its all across the windshield; that would be a design issue.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I thought I heard it on mine from the driver's side but I can't quite pin it down so I haven't gone to service for it. I can't tell if its all across the windshield; that would be a design issue.
Same problem here.:doh:

5ohslow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
null
Vehicle(s)
null
i had a small pin hole by the front weld seem on the roof. it was so small but at highway speed it made noticeable noise.

it was on the drivers side about 2 inches from the windshield where that seem runs along each side of the roof. a piece of tape was a quick fix

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
i had a small pin hole by the front weld seem on the roof. it was so small but at highway speed it made noticeable noise.

it was on the drivers side about 2 inches from the windshield where that seem runs along each side of the roof. a piece of tape was a quick fix
How are they going to permanently fix it? I'd think that would involve a lot of painting as they would have to re-seal it?

Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I checked my roof welds and they look ok. I took it into the dealer for this and a couple other things. But I have a theory.

They gave me a rental. A '15 Silverado. This truck has a BAD wind noise at the drivers door. Worse than the Mustang, I'm sure. I did not have this on my '07 Mustang. A friend has a '12 Hyundai Sonata and does not have any noise. So I was scratching my head comparing these cars...what could possibly be a common thread? Then it came to me.

The outside mirrors on both the '15 Mustang and Silverado stand away from the body, seprated by couple inches with the black plastic base. The S197 did not have this, it was 1-piece. The Sonata has a 1-piece also with no gap between the mirror body and the door. I am thinking that it could be an aerodynamic thing where the air flow is disrupted as it comes around the windshield thus creating a turbulent zone and being noisy. In other words, a bad design. I'm not an aerodynamic engineer though. This is my best theory. I will update with what my dealer finds, and if they tell me its normal then I wll want to drive another '15 to see if it has it.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There is a TSB for wind noise from the passenger side windshield.

Not enough window sealant was used.

That might be your issue. If you're not sitting in the passenger seat a noise from any where in that area is difficult to locate (could be front window or side window).

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Mine is the driver's side - and the windshield has been replaced twice (it made noise with the factory windshield) so the sealant was replaced. The only TSB I know of is for the welds having a gap. Mine is still at the dealer....

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Mine is the driver's side - and the windshield has been replaced twice (it made noise with the factory windshield) so the sealant was replaced. The only TSB I know of is for the welds having a gap. Mine is still at the dealer....
If you cruise down the highway at 60+ MPH there will normally be a slight wind noise due to the rear view mirrors and the air flow around the windshield and side windows.

How do you know if that is what you are hearing or not? One way to check is drive the car with a passenger. Both of you listen to the wind noise on your respective side of the car with radio off and on a smooth road. Then switch sides and let the passenger drive the car. Listen again and compare notes.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
But other cars do not make this noise concentrated in one area.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
But other cars do not make this noise concentrated in one area.
All cars make some wind noise next to the side window at highway speeds that can be heard when it's quiet in the cabin. Like I said, compare both sides of your car to see if both sides sound the same. If they do, then the wind noise you're hearing is probably normal. The next step would be to compare your car to other S550 Mustangs.

Lakeland-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SErik
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Race Red
Mustang's have frameless doors. Noise isolation is not great on most frameless doors.

I had a BMW with frameless doors, it had similar wind noise issues.
My Toyota has wind noise too, much louder than the Mustang, even with framed doors.
Sponsored