Sponsored

Why I will never let dealers and repair shops work on my Mustang!

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I follow some strict rules in my home shop, one of them being a place for everything and everything in its place.

At the end of the day I know if I am missing something because organization is a very important part of my setup.

I can't stress enough how important organization is. The molds and containers help me know that I have returned everything to the proper place after completing a job.

I also use a tool cart when working on projects this helps keep parts, bolts, screws ect... in the cart rather than lost on the floor or under the hood.

drivers.PNG

wrench2.PNG

wrench3.PNG

socket.PNG
The issue is that the tech at the repair shop is constantly racing to beat the time, all day every day. When that’s your number one priority, it’s easy to see how mistakes can be made. The repair shops encourage this mentality, especially the dealers, and is heavily incentivized. Those guys are literally rushing from job to job and don’t have the time to be this particular about organization. It’s really unfortunate because there are guys (and gals I’m sure) that are incredibly knowledgeable and that talent is wasted on chasing a paycheck or the next bonus tier because the system sucks. Maybe some day things will change, but I doubt it will be any time soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The issue is that the tech at the repair shop is constantly racing to beat the time, all day every day. When that’s your number one priority, it’s easy to see how mistakes can be made. The repair shops encourage this mentality, especially the dealers, and is heavily incentivized. Those guys are literally rushing from job to job and don’t have the time to be this particular about organization. It’s really unfortunate because there are guys (and gals I’m sure) that are incredibly knowledgeable and that talent is wasted on chasing a paycheck or the next bonus tier because the system sucks. Maybe some day things will change, but I doubt it will be any time soon.
I’m sure that a lot of people don’t know how the system work
Basically every single work call for a certain amount of time ( the book)
If The my mechanic can beat the time, he share the extra profit with the dealership
Let say that a water pump replacement call for 3 hours, if the mechanic can do it in 2 hours, you the customer still pay 3 hours, but this extra hour that you paid for is shared between him and the dealership
Manufacturers know the system so well than warranty work use a different and less time table
Obviously this system do not promote good work