Sponsored

Who removed their ROUSH Axle Back Mufflers?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Set the cruise control at 70 mph on the freeway. You don't hear any drone like that?
Drone is different than the tone of the exhaust. Drone is resonance that makes your head feel pressure. It's very uncomfortable. All but the quietest exhausts will have an increase in exhaust volume at cruising speeds.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Set the cruise control at 70 mph on the freeway. You don't hear any drone like that?
I do not. I hear the exhaust, lightly, but that isn't the same thing as drone.

OP
OP

Fabulous

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium Performance Pack Mustang
With the Roush AB and X Pipe at all speeds and RMP's there was always some kind of a drone. They are kind of quite at low RPM's and Hell bent when you get on it. It was fun to punch it and hear that raspy cracking roar. Just not that kind of sound everyday. With the X pipe removed the Roush sounded the same just more tolerable.
Just a preference.

OP
OP

Fabulous

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Quick Craigslist search in Phoenix revealed 3 sets of Roush AB for sale. Two V6 and 1 V8.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
With the Roush AB and X Pipe at all speeds and RMP's there was always some kind of a drone. They are kind of quite at low RPM's and Hell bent when you get on it. It was fun to punch it and hear that raspy cracking roar. Just not that kind of sound everyday. With the X pipe removed the Roush sounded the same just more tolerable.
Just a preference.
I don't really think you are hearing drone. Drone and hearing the exhuast are two different things.

Sponsored

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT base PP Borla s-type H pipe
I don't really think you are hearing drone. Drone and hearing the exhuast are two different things.
Once you are cruising I have no drone at any speed. My Borla S-type was louder at cruising speeds. Like you said if you can hear the exhaust this doesn't mean you have drone. So far I think this is a perfect setup for daily driving. Maybe having the 3.73 gear has a lot to do with it.

All4ford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Deep Impact Blue
I'm running SP LT's offroad with stock resonator and Roush axlebacks. I love the deep tone on startup,normal grandpa driving and highway driving but these things change exhaust notes several times throughout rpm changes. Sometimes in the range of 2500-3500 Rpms they ring and sound like crap under normal acceleration. The ringing sound, sounds like the the mufflers are to thin of material. They sound awesome under normal driving and highway driving but sometimes I think they sound cheap and embarrassing when they make the ringing noise and this makes me want to seek other options.

Crowderb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Package
I loved the roush until I put LTs on. Now I have SWs exhaust

ThrillSeekr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Edition
I've had a love / hate relationship with my Roush A/B setup.

The progression:
1. I started with the Roush A/B and a Lethal H pipe. Just a tad too loud for my liking (mine is a daily driver).
2. Went back to factory mufflers and left the H pipe installed. Nice, but too far the other direction i.e. wasn't loud enough.
3. Took the H pipe off and reinstalled the suitcase. Then reinstalled the Roush A/B. This is my current setup and I've found that it's loud when I'm WOT, but quiets down nicely all the other times.

I'm sure in 2-3 weeks I'll change my mind again and try something different...

OP
OP

Fabulous

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
You are the most accurate in saying "I've had a love / hate Relationship with my Roush A/B setup." Could have never said it any better!

Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
So how loud is the Roush A/B anyways? My only concern is waking the neighbors on a cold start in the morning.

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
So how loud is the Roush A/B anyways? My only concern is waking the neighbors on a cold start in the morning.
The cold start can be a little loud(only for a minute). Other than that, it is like a kitty cat until you step on its tail. Nice burble (no snap-crackle-pop) on the down shift. I honestly was expecting it to be too loud for me. Found that to not be the case because now i wanna go all h pipe on it. It's all subjuctive of course...but i find it intoxicating.

Normus Girth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I think the tone of the exhaust note and possibly the way the engine operates(firing order) is giving ppl false impressions of drone. At 2k the exhaust note at a certain speed producesa significant bass at least on mine with roushs and x-pipe, but its not drone. Its just a loud ass bass or rumble.

Ive owned and driven a variety of cars with all combinations of engines and exhausts. If Roushs are droning for you something on the car isn't operating correctly, put on correctly, or the exhaust combo is frankly too darn loud for you.

Normus Girth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
They aren't that loud cruising and idling with x-pipe. Idling produces a nice rumble, and yes they are super loud with the xpipe when you get on it. Cold starts are very loud with the x-pipe. No way around it. Its gotten to the point where I open the garage door and start the car from the inside, windows up instead of the remote start because it gets loud as hell in my small garage.

Others say without the xpipe/h-pipe its the perfect exhaust for those that want all all around quiet exhaust until you stomp on it. The x-pipe makes it significantly louder.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
The Roush with X-pipe is a very loud combination at cold start and also at moderate to high rpm. It's all perspective and personal opinion of course. People considering this combination need to be aware of what they are actually getting.

One of many sound clips available on YouTube.
Sponsored