Which Car Cover?

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Which Car Cover do people recommended that won't break the bank or scratch the paint. It's under a carport but outside. Thanks!
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have a Covercraft Noah and like its construction but I think it was just discontinued/replaced. Some feel that it fits too loose but I am fine with the fit. If you search, you can find me photos of the car covered. I purchased the extra front and back cover keepers to help prevent the cover from coming off. I did buy a lock to prevent it from being stolen by some kids but I really use the cable to pass the cord under the car. The lock did get rusty and problematic over the winter.

The issue with scratching comes into play when you leave the cover on when there is wind. I think they recommend removing the cover in any kind of breeze even (5+mph).

The other aspect of scratching is how well you keep your car and the cover clean. If you cover the car without cleaning it, those small particles will act like sandpaper. At a minimum, I go over the car with ONR or a quick detailer before covering it after any kind of drive. Also, it is important to wash the car cover. Outdoor covers will need a large commercial washer to clean.

After all the work, I am not so sure I would buy one again. This cover is my first for the Mustang and has protected it from Nov '20 and so far it has helped. I hated scratching the car when removing snow, getting covered in pollen and all the water spots on the glass and paint that require a good cleaning and often a polishing/compounding to remove. My hopes are that the cover will reduce the frequency of doing these things. Of course, the marring that could occur would also need a polishing to remove. Other than putting it in a proper garage, I am not sure there is a good way to protect an outdoor car like ours. I do wash my car about weekly, even in the winter - by hand. No car washes for my pony. There is always a good spray sealant/wax on the car and the water always beads. I find that even though it beads water, if you do not remove that water, it will leave spots. I even spray my glass (like using TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant Spray on them).

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Some ideas, first link is a satin cover goes on first. It will protect the paint.

https://www.carcoversfactory.com/ca...poiler/indoor-premium-satin-edition-car-cover

This is a Ford part, using my points for it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 3.22.41 PM.png

This, I nothing about, strictly a price comparison.
https://sealskincovers.com/collections/ford-mustang-gt-coupe/products/2020-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-5l

The other 2 will leave marks, the same density as swirls .
One area that can be affected. Is between the Mustang logo & the seem running L to R, below it.

The cause is pulling the front of the cover down and over the front splitter. Cover gets tight over the contours of the body.

This one purchased last year, being replaced with the Ford part
IMG_0039.jpeg

The key to keeping the paint free from marks is the satin cover above. The heavier the cover the greater the chance. Noah, every cover company makes that type. It also lets water, pollen & dust thru (breathable).

Taking the 34, to the Datona Trukey run, needed a cover staying at a local hotel.
Ordered the California Cover, Noah thinking Noah, hell should stay dry, lesson learned.

Anyway food for thought

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Some ideas, first link is a satin cover goes on first. It will protect the paint.

https://www.carcoversfactory.com/ca...poiler/indoor-premium-satin-edition-car-cover

This is a Ford part, using my points for it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 3.22.41 PM.png

This, I nothing about, strictly a price comparison.
https://sealskincovers.com/collections/ford-mustang-gt-coupe/products/2020-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-5l

The other 2 will leave marks, the same density as swirls .
One area that can be affected. Is between the Mustang logo & the seem running L to R, below it.

The cause is pulling the front of the cover down and over the front splitter. Cover gets tight over the contours of the body.

This one purchased last year, being replaced with the Ford part
IMG_0039.jpeg

The key to keeping the paint free from marks is the satin cover above. The heavier the cover the greater the chance. Noah, every cover company makes that type. It also lets water, pollen & dust thru (breathable).

Taking the 34, to the Datona Trukey run, needed a cover staying at a local hotel.
Ordered the California Cover, Noah thinking Noah, hell should stay dry, lesson learned.

Anyway food for thought
That is funny b/c the Noah from Covercraft is touted as waterproof. There is a difference between the cover billowing and dust coming under from the wind. I have never seen anything get through the cover so far other than when it is wind driven.

1620402602617.png

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I bought a Covercraft Block it 380. It is a medium weight/ price cover that is adequate for my needs. I have used the Noah cover for other vehicles and it is heavy and utterly waterproof. The important part about using a cover is to wipe the car down with a detailer and microfiber to remove dirt and dust. If you are parked on grass, don't use a cover, the grass condensation, overnight, will get under the cover.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Wow, never knew that. Thankfully, I'm parked on gravel. Thanks.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Be careful if you're not on blacktop. Technically, I would think you could put a plastic tarp under the car to stop the condensation from the earth, underneath, but you would have to decide if all that trouble is worth it.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Well, I don't think gravel creates condensation.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Don't cover the car right after pulling in. You're under a car port. let the body cool down. Engine is fine running temp/warm.
Back to the body. California Duster, go over the body, before covering. Don't use it on the wheels, possible break dust could get inbeaded.

Suggest the large one with the nap that is 360 around the handel. Shake the thing out as you move, never wash it.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
No, but the dirt beneath the gravel does... Not the end of the world, but underbody surface rust will be a problem, unless you live in the desert southwest.

Sponsored

celica0774

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1
"...won't...scratch the paint..."
None of them. The cover may or may not scratch the paint, but the dirt that it traps will. I suppose you could wash the car and the cover before every use. Otherwise you're just trapping the dirt for the next little breeze to rub in to your paint.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I'd rather enclose the carport on three sides than cover a car under the carport. I tried just what you are doing and aside from being a big pain in the ass, I would get condensation under the cover (dust too). I was going to ditch the cover and enclose the carport, but then I rearranged my shop to be able to pull the car in.

The covers I tried were the top of the line versions too.

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Which Car Cover do people recommended that won't break the bank or scratch the paint. It's under a carport but outside. Thanks!
I have a Covercraft Weather Shield HP. I have used it for two winters and it has not scratched my car at all and my GT is black. The car has to be clean when you cover it. I use a California Duster after a drive. My car is not a daily driver, never has been driven in rain or snow or when roads have salt on them. My car is outside all winter because my boat has to go in the garage so six months out and six months in. Also make sure to limit the amount of movement of the cover in wind and you will be fine.

MiroLagy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robs
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi there guys. Personally, I’ve never used a car cover. Cause, you know, somehow carport has always been enough for my little sweetie. So, tbh, I still see no purpose in car covers. If you explained it to me, I’d be grateful. I have a good friend who works at https://carportaustralia.com.au/colorbond-carport/. Actually, he built me a carport. And I’m still very grateful to him for that. So, I’ve made a mistake. I used car covers when I didn’t have a carport or garage, at least. My car used to get overheated by the sun, so I decided to buy a cover so it would reflect or absorb the heat. And, tbh it really helped me then. Anyway, I don’t remember the one I used, sorry.
Sponsored

Last edited: