Sponsored

Where to get a 2017 Shelby Super Snake hood?

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
I've wanted one of these hoods for a few years, but due to work, finances, and other projects taking priority, the time never seemed right. Well, back in March I finally decided it was time to pull the trigger and I ordered one. After 6 weeks with no word on a shipping date, I called the vendor to check on my order, they in turn had to check with Shelby. A couple hours later I was informed that due to production problems at the manufacturer that Shelby is discontinuing the hood and they were cancelling my order. Since then I've called several other vendors that show the hood on their website only to learn that all of them simply drop ship the hood from Shelby and no one kept any in stock.

This is the hood that Shelby has recently discontinued;
https://www.shelbystore.com/2015-2017-50th-Anniversary-Super-Snake-Hood-p/ss50thhood.htm
It still shows up as available on many websites, but if you call around, everyone says they can't get it anymore.

So, my last hope is someone here knows where one might be available, or knows someone who bought one but never installed it for some reason, or maybe just changed their mind on having it and want to go with a different hood but need to get rid their Shelby hood 1st.... I know, it's a long shot, but you never know until you ask :wink:
Sponsored

zx2reme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, I doubt anyone keeps these in stock. When I ordered my wife's, after looking around, it looked like they all drop shipped from Shelby as well. I ordered mine from Shelby's ebay page in the end. Not sure how much research you did on this, but if I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't have ordered theirs. They are one of the most expensive hoods already and when they come in, they need lots of work (their fine print says they require 10-15 hours prep work). Kind of caught me off guard. My body shop was shocked that it was that rough and thought I bought it from a knockoff company, lol! $3400 bucks later I would have been better off going with the GT350 style hood and saving about a grand. It is nice though. As for fit, it took a bit to get it lined up (still not perfect, but close). I still need to install hood pins though. While driving on highway, there is a lot of flex in the cowl area. Probably okay, but I still want the piece of mind. It definitely gets lots of attention though and I believe is the best looking ram air hood we have. Just my .02.

OP
OP
Rick#7

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Thanks for the input, I had read that a bit of flutter at speed is normal with these hoods. My biggest complaint about other ram air style hoods is they all look like a generic scoop was slapped on top of a flat hood, and just don't blend well with the lines of the car, at least in my opinion. The '17 Super snake hood has the twin ram air inlets like other GT500 scoop inspired designs, but the lines also fit with the lines of the car and looks like a factory styled hood instead of an after thought.

With this being discontinued now, my search is on again for something I like. I might go with the Anderson composites GTH hood in keeping with the Shelby theme, plus they have a reputation for the best fitting parts, so less issues getting it aligned on the car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You could try searching salvage/recycler sites and the many online auction sites like CoPart, IAAI, Erepairables, etc to see if a Shelby Super Snake shows up in their inventory, they have in the past. Most accidents though are front impacts so it still may be slim to none with finding a damage free salvage hood...

Try The Parts Farm, Prestige Mustang, Steel City Mustangs, and there is also MPS in Georgia I think it is... Granted they deal with Mustangs specifically, but do remember they too know Shelby Super Snake parts are $$$$... so they probably won't have a superb smoking deal, but worth reaching out and asking for leads.
Sponsored