Sponsored

Wheel Spacers-One lug slightly stripped

RVA5.0Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Hey all, as my title states, I have had 25 MM spacers on my mustang for about a month now. I had torqued all the spacers down to 120 ft/lbs, and was just checking them again today and re-torquing. All felt normal like before with zero or little movement, and when I was re-torquing one lug, it seems like I did not seat the socket completely to one of the spacer lugs and it seems to have slightly stripped the spacer bolt/nut. It feels like it is definitely torqued down to at least 120 FT/lBS but now im nervous. I don't plan on taking the spacers off anytime soon and the spacers seemed to have remained fully torqued after 500 miles...

HELP! Should I be worried? If I do decide to get new wheels down the road, I can see where this may be an issue, but will it be ok? Any insight will help. Forgot to take pictures because its like 95 degrees out and humid and I had to be somewhere with my fiance...

It's only 1 nut of all.
Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
if its the factory stud, replace it, if its the stud on the spacer, replace the spacer, no questions asked

OP
OP

RVA5.0Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
if its the factory stud, replace it, if its the stud on the spacer, replace the spacer, no questions asked
It's the stud on the spacer. Damn. I guess I will have to do my best to try to remove the spacer without stripping it further. I could probably get it off, it looks like just the outer edge of the lug is stripped.

Could I drive on it for a couple days until I get a new one if I can't get the existing one off?

OP
OP

RVA5.0Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

Got a picture of the nut... Doesn't really look that bad, does it? The stud is fine on the wheel, its just the nut that came with the spacer(s) is a little stripped around the outside..sucker is torqued down.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Try using a "hex" socket like these......this type grip the flats and are far less likely to damage the corners of the nut...

This type.."multipoint" will grip on the corners of the nut, and eventually cause damage..

Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
oooooooh! you stripped the lug nut, I thought you some how stripped the threads on the studs, if youre sure its tight, let it be for now

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You are prolly ok short term but...

Good news! You likely have that nut torqued enough from looking at it.

Bad news: You need to be able to check it occasionally and after pot holes since it is Aluminum spacer.

Good news! This has been an issue since the lug nut was invented and there are tools for it:
Google "stripped lug nut remover amazon" and look at the reverse fluted sockets. They work great.
SK, Craftsman, Irwin, Hanson just read up and see who makes good set and size you need. Watch out for cheapo soft metal china versions.
Or get a Lugripper if you want to get crazy.
Some places like discount tire might have them on hand in shop. Just ask around. Maybe Offer $5 to get the nut off; though some shops will do it free to try n get your next tire service business.
Sponsored