Sponsored

What's the next performance mod I should purchase?

MustangDominance

Professional Fast guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Mustang
Exhaust wise, currently I have an H pipe, dual glasspack resonator, muffler delete with resonated tips.

Engine wise, I just have a cold air intake.

I also have an sct x4 with an unleashed 93 octane tune.

What should I do next for more horsepower?
Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Reische 170* thermostat is a good cheap bolt on. Just ask your tuner to change your fan settings if you choose to go that route.

OP
OP
MustangDominance

MustangDominance

Professional Fast guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Mustang
Reische 170* thermostat is a good cheap bolt on. Just ask your tuner to change your fan settings if you choose to go that route.
How much of a difference would that make?

I'm not just looking for cheap mods though, I want to maximize horsepower without doing a supercharger or turbocharger.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
How much of a difference would that make?

I'm not just looking for cheap mods though, I want to maximize horsepower without doing a supercharger or turbocharger.
I don't like quoting hp figures as every car is different. However I will tell you that it dramatically drops cylinder head temps allowing your engine to run more timing along with being all around safer for your engine. It is a popular mod in the 5.0 section and we share the same thermostat. http://www.lethalperformance.com/reische-performance-ford-50-170-performance-thermostat.html

If you are looking for maximization without forced induction have you considered a set of hot cams, upgraded valve-train, milling the heads, ported heads, ported intake manifold, high compression pistons etc.? I will quote one of my old posts from another thread (you can ignore the forced induction bits). You're really limited by $ and not your engine. The V6 is very potent. Also check out: http://supersixmotorsports.com/

Good basic mods:

Fix suspension weak points in the IRS. This totally transforms the car in the handling department, makes the car rotate better, dramatically reduce wheel hop. You will be surprised how much of difference this makes. You will have to do this regardless if your V6, EB, or GT (you're not running away from that lol) if you really want the most out of your suspension (see my sig). If you're a MT-82 you'll definitely want to swap fluid for the BG. You'd want BG in the diff as well. You also have all of the sway bar, springs, coil overs, and various suspension mods as any other Mustang at your disposal.

For Engine:

Basic Mods:

93 Oct tune
Reische 170* T-Stat (you need a tune for this, helps keeps temps cool allowing more timing thus more HP)
PCV Delete (PCV reduces effective octane and makes IATs climb)
Oil catch can
Shorty headers
Exhaust
Ported intake manifold

Advanced mods/Hot NA:

Aggressive cams
Upgraded valvetrain (springs etc.)
Higher compression pistons
Milling the heads
P&P Heads
4.0L Stroker
100 Oct or E85 (Allows more timing advance = big power)

Extreme:

Procharger (skips most of the high compression n/a stuff and going straight to FI).
-Supporting mods for the blower (depending on goals).

-3.5L TT EB turbo kit (requires custom fabrication and knowledge/ once again skips most n/a high compression stuff)
-Once again supporting mods/build depending on goals.

-Good FI tuning to tie it all together.

**Sky is the limit and technically it's no different than any other engine. Know what you want before you buy it. Buyers remorse should be prevented at the test drive. Do research before modding. Figure out if the engine is right for you in the first place. I personally like the Cyclone because it forces you to be more creative in modding. That might not be for you and you want more power out the box (ala GT etc.). Also remember there are people who never can have enough power and have their needs met (not matter what vehicle they own). Know your power goals and what you want or you will be in an endless state of confusion.

There's plenty I have missed and you're only limited by your wallet.

OP
OP
MustangDominance

MustangDominance

Professional Fast guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Mustang
I don't like quoting hp figures as every car is different. However I will tell you that it dramatically drops cylinder head temps allowing your engine to run more timing along with being all around safer for your engine. It is a popular mod in the 5.0 section and we share the same thermostat. http://www.lethalperformance.com/reische-performance-ford-50-170-performance-thermostat.html

If you are looking for maximization without forced induction have you considered a set of hot cams, upgraded valve-train, milling the heads, ported heads, ported intake manifold, high compression pistons etc.? I will quote one of my old posts from another thread (you can ignore the forced induction bits). You're really limited by $ and not your engine. The V6 is very potent. Also check out: http://supersixmotorsports.com/
So how much am I looking at for the cams+ an install? Because tbh I definitely wouldn't be able to put those in myself.

Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So how much am I looking at for the cams+ an install? Because tbh I definitely wouldn't be able to put those in myself.
That all depends on your local machine shop. I'd also check and make sure your tuner is cool with tuning for them if you choose to go that route. You are basically trading your VCT (which is honestly for fuel economy/emissions though better than nothing) for a set of hotter cams. Don't forget valve springs, retainers etc. If the Cyclone is similar to other Duratec-esque valve-train designs the valve springs probably aren't the best for super high RPMs. Contact SuperSix and see what they would recommend.

OP
OP
MustangDominance

MustangDominance

Professional Fast guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Mustang
That all depends on your local machine shop. I'd also check and make sure your tuner is cool with tuning for them if you choose to go that route. You are basically trading your VCT (which is honestly for fuel economy/emissions though better than nothing) for a set of hotter cams. Don't forget valve springs, retainers etc. If the Cyclone is similar to other Duratec-esque valve-train designs the valve springs probably aren't the best for super high RPMs. Contact SuperSix and see what they would recommend.
Alright that sounds like a plan.

On a side note, how would I go about doing a PCV delete, and what will that get me?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright that sounds like a plan.

On a side note, how would I go about doing a PCV delete, and what will that get me?
PCV overtime causes an oily/gunky intake manifold. This reduces effective octane, fouls out plugs overtime, and raises intake air temps. By venting the atmosphere and not burning it back into the engine you will have a healthier engine + a cooler air temps. While many go long miles with no issue, PCV is still a hindrance and this mod is cheap insurance.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1446406&postcount=48

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1469258&postcount=134

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Save your money and get GT in a year or two. No matter how much you mod you will always be chasing GT power. You procharge it, you are going to make 400-450whp after spening 6-7k and be at the limits of your motor and are going to be like "damn I could have made this power with bolt ons on a GT".

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Procharger!!!!

Sponsored

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
PCV overtime causes an oily/gunky intake manifold. This reduces effective octane, fouls out plugs overtime, and raises intake air temps. By venting the atmosphere and not burning it back into the engine you will have a healthier engine + a cooler air temps. While many go long miles with no issue, PCV is still a hindrance and this mod is cheap insurance.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1446406&postcount=48

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1469258&postcount=134
I have 2 questions.

1. Deleting the PCV from the drivers side just remove it from the valve cover and intake air breather hose and plug? Also were do I get the chrome breather to replave the PCV.

2. When replacing the thermostat with a Reische 170 can you use the same gasket?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 2 questions.

1. Deleting the PCV from the drivers side just remove it from the valve cover and intake air breather hose and plug? Also were do I get the chrome breather to replave the PCV.

2. When replacing the thermostat with a Reische 170 can you use the same gasket?
1. There is no PCV on the driver's side, just the passenger side. For the passenger you just twist it out and there is a plastic cover underneath it you can remove and the spring/checkball will fall out. You can get chrome breathers from ebay.

2. Use the new gasket if it comes with one. Rubber gaskets are reusable but to be on the safe side I would use a new gasket. They aren't that much.
Sponsored