Sponsored

What does this sound like? Engine or

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
https://imgur.com/a/35CQFAC

Cold start, upon acceleration. It seems to be coming from engine area but hard to tell. I know these engines make all sorts of noises but it sounds like a nut is loose in the engine and its being thrown.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ha ha. That's actually the most realistic description I've read. I have bad news for you: You're officially a member of the 'tick club' now. And unfortunately, it sounds nastier than most others I've heard. There's still not a consensus what the tick is. IMO, it can be 3 things: piston slap, rod knock, or bad bearings (as in improper tolerances). If the last, it'd definitely get worse over time. The first is debatable. Only the second is supposedly harmless... which of course that's what Ford says (without saying what actually is) via a TSB.

Hey, could you please tell us the year of your car, current mileage, and circumstances when the tick appeared, like an oil change, etc? Thank you. Just to get more 'statistics'. Sorry for the bad news man... but it's a very common affliction, so far from the only one. Mine doesn't have it yet, but it only has 800+ miles, so far from out of the woods yet.

OP
OP

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ha ha. That's actually the most realistic description I've read. I have bad news for you: You're officially a member of the 'tick club' now. And unfortunately, it sounds nastier than most others I've heard. There's still not a consensus what the tick is. IMO, it can be 3 things: piston slap, rod knock, or bad bearings (as in improper tolerances). If the last, it'd definitely get worse over time. The first is debatable. Only the second is supposedly harmless... which of course that's what Ford says (without saying what actually is) via a TSB.

Hey, could you please tell us the year of your car, current mileage, and circumstances when the tick appeared, like an oil change, etc? Thank you. Just to get more 'statistics'. Sorry for the bad news man... but it's a very common affliction, so far from the only one. Mine doesn't have it yet, but it only has 800+ miles, so far from out of the woods yet.
I had a 2011 GT that had the tick and that was like the typewriter tick. And it was during idling the tick occured. During idling in my 2019, I haven’t heard it. So this sounds different to me. I have like 700 miles.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I had a 2011 GT that had the tick and that was like the typewriter tick. And it was during idling the tick occured. During idling in my 2019, I haven’t heard it. So this sounds different to me. I have like 700 miles.
I believe JC is confusing the “typewriter tick” to the 2k rattle. Yours sounds like the later. The tick as you noted has been around for a long time. Do a search for the rattle as others have posted videos as well. Just FYI, there has been only speculation as to what these noises are. Ford has pretty much washed their hands of the tack, saying it is normal. Based on the severity of the rattle owners have had engines replaced.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
https://imgur.com/a/35CQFAC

Cold start, upon acceleration. It seems to be coming from engine area but hard to tell. I know these engines make all sorts of noises but it sounds like a nut is loose in the engine and its being thrown.
Do you have active exhaust? To me it seems like sounds comes only when you press on the throttle, I heard the typewriter tick is at steady idle.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Do you have active exhaust? To me it seems like sounds comes only when you press on the throttle, I heard the typewriter tick is at steady idle.
Yes, I do have AE. That’s what I thought it might be too.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That noise has nothing to do with AE, unfortunately. And all of those types of engine noises are typically duplicated easier from idle to around 1,200 rpm, and accelerating the engine slowly.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium