What CAI on 2018 CJ swap?

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Recently did a CJ swap on my 18 with a Steeda closed box. I've seen some people have issues while others do not, well I am one of those that has issues. At first I thought she was good, once I actually started driving the car I realized how terrible driveability is. Car surges terrible at stops, has turned off twice while making a u-turn, so kinda worried that now it has become a safety issue and I might end up getting hit If the car turns off while trying to cross the street or something. Yes insert is in, yes tuner has said "its the intake, get rid of it, no amount of tuning will fix".

With that being said, I have asked on other pages, what people are running, I have gotten JLT and Rev Auto. Asking here now, those of you guys running a CJ swap on your 18+ cars, what CAI are you running?
Sponsored

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Interested in this as well. It’s a bummer cause the Steeda is such a good design. Is it bad for all tunes or just e85? Which tune are you using? Thanks

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
If you have the flex tune then yes the steeda is the problem for sure, its apparently not that well known but the steeda closed box is incompatible with any flex tune due to MAF placement.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
How is it on straight e85 or straight 93? Seems to me that if it’s not good on flex then it’s probably not the best/safest on 93 either? Would love to know more though about this and what kind of fuel trims people are seeing with this intake.

If you have the flex tune then yes the steeda is the problem for sure, its apparently not that well known but the steeda closed box is incompatible with any flex tune due to MAF placement.

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
How is it on straight e85 or straight 93? Seems to me that if it’s not good on flex then it’s probably not the best/safest on 93 either? Would love to know more though about this and what kind of fuel trims people are seeing with this intake.

straight e85 or 93 has been fine on this intake, its the learning ability of the flex that is thrown out of whack with the steeda, the MAF placement is too turbulent and doesnt allow it to learn correctly. With 93 and e85 only tunes there is no learning process, the logic is already there for the octane levels.

Sponsored

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Thanks yeah that echoes everything I’ve heard. Bummer really. I know Steeda makes an open element now that they just released but not sure how it is?

straight e85 or 93 has been fine on this intake, its the learning ability of the flex that is thrown out of whack with the steeda, the MAF placement is too turbulent and doesnt allow it to learn correctly. With 93 and e85 only tunes there is no learning process, the logic is already there for the octane levels.

OP
OP
OrangeFury1

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
The problem is with E85 itself regardless if E85 R tune or Flex tune. On 93 is a lot better but you can still tell it’s not 100% right. On E85 is when it acts up the most.

OP
OP
OrangeFury1

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
My experience has been same with Flex Fuel or dedicated E85 tune. No change at all whatsoever. On 93 sometimes it still surges but definitely no where near as much as it does with E85 on Flex or Race tune, does it no matter what. Signal is very erratic.

OP
OP
OrangeFury1

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I went ahead and just ordered the PMAS. Guess we will see how that goes, my car surges so bad someone literally asked if it was cammed lol.
Sponsored