Water on 2015 GT Door Sill Plate

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
Hello, I'm wondering if this is normal.. When I wash the car ('15 GT Premium) and then open the doors, there is water on the sill plate (that lights up and says Mustang) and on the area that leads to the door hinge. I'm concerned that the rubber gasket around the door is not doing it's job keeping the water off of this area. The same happens when driving in the rain.

Have you found this on your 2015's?

Thank you
Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
There are a couple holes on the weather striping that sits against the door. Best to open the door after a wash and lightly pull it away from the door and you'll see a bunch of water drain out.

OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
There are a couple holes on the weather striping that sits against the door. Best to open the door after a wash and lightly pull it away from the door and you'll see a bunch of water drain out.
So the water on the sill plate is "normal" ?

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
So the water on the sill plate is "normal" ?
Well I would say a little probably is, I don't think I've washed my car and not had water there personally

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
Definitely happens when I wash my '17. Same with the trunk. Both piss me off pretty bad because I feel like there shouldn't be water getting into either. Unless this is not normal at all. Drying out the trunk hinge area sucks.

Sponsored

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
One thing for sure, Ford did not make this car to float

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
My drivers side door sill has been damaged due to water getting into it. Back in November I took it in to get it replaced under warranty and they said they will cover it. Only problem is it's almost February and I still have not received a replacement door sill. The guy at the service department says they have received the wrong part from Ford. My car, being a 2014 production model has a different wire harness that does not match what my car has. I have yet to open it my self to see but he did mentioned my door sill comes with 4 wires and the ones he is getting ( using my VIN ) is a two wire clip. Which clip do you have?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
it's normal. dumb, but normal. irritates me every time i see it. 

OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I've attached a photo where the water gets when I wash the car or if it rains. I wonder if the stock lighted sill plate has a gasket to keep the water out of the LED's. >> Note: The picture has an after market sill plate, mine is the stock illuminated plate that is controlled by "MyColor".
389297.jpg

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Please try putting some good wax like McGuires Natural Caruba wax. I guarantee
the water will not sit on the sill anymore

Sponsored
OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
Please try putting some good wax like McGuires Natural Caruba wax. I guarantee the water will not sit on the sill anymore
I have high end wax on there, so the water beads. But that's not my reason for this post.. I'm trying to determine, before I begin what is sure to be a long drawn out issue with my dealership, if this is common to the 2015 Mustang. If it is common, then there is no sense in contacting the dealer, if it not, then I need to have it as well as the alignment of the doors addressed.

Jwoair23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm sorry, I honestly don't mean this to be rude, but are you guys serious? Every car I have ever had (10+) has had this happen, its so normal I never even had the thought that it wouldn't be. As long as water is not intruding the car interior space there is nothing to worry about. The doors are not sealed from the outside body panels, nor is the trunk area, no car made that I am aware of is in fact. Part of my normal "detailing" process has always been to open the doors/trunk and dry and clean those areas as well.

Again, this is not meant to come off as rude, but this is incredibly normal.

OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
Thank you. I won't worry about it anymore

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
Funny you should ask. I just washed my '17 for the first time today, and I saw no water where you indicate in the photo. The only water was on the ledge below the sill plate. I used a foamer with quite a bit of pressure, so I would think if it was going to leak, it would have leaked today. I've never seen it leak in the rain either. Sooooo for my car it is not normal, but YMMV.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Damn I thought i was obsesive.

Its totally normal. Happened on my 08 too. Just wipe it off when you wash.
Sponsored