Sponsored

Water/Meth Injection thread...

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Never had a turbo car until this and in all my researching I keep coming across W/M injection over and over. Anyone have experience with it? It seems from all the threads its simple to install, a great way to give some extra octane, cooling, detonation protection, and even engine cleaning with seemingly no Cons? Just seems too good to be true or am I missing something?

:confused:
Sponsored

Optimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No, you could not be any more correct. IMO it is one of the best mods for any turbo. I have no idea why there are no dynos posted for simple progressive kits for this car. I would guess that a water/meth kit would add at least 20WHP without a tune and even more if tuned for the water/meth. A simple progressive water/meth kit cost aprox $400 and can be installed in about 2-3 hours or less and will add cooling, octane and help keep your intake valves cleaner.

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
My buddy that has a grand national swears by it.Iam definitely planning on using it.

Optimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have seen posts on this forum mentioning that even on a single 1/4 mile run by the end of the run timing is being pull (less power)due to heat and a water/meth kit will reduce IAT's more than any I/C and should stop timing pull due to heat on this engine with or without a tune.

OP
OP
PewterCam

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, you could not be any more correct. IMO it is one of the best mods for any turbo. I have no idea why there are no dynos posted for simple progressive kits for this car. I would guess that a water/meth kit would add at least 20WHP without a tune and even more if tuned for the water/meth. A simple progressive water/meth kit cost aprox $400 and can be installed in about 2-3 hours or less and will add cooling, octane and help keep your intake valves cleaner.
My buddy that has a grand national swears by it.Iam definitely planning on using it.
Ok that is what I keep reading over and over.. No cons.. Best thing ever. Installation is just a single hose to a 1/8" NPT nozzle after the IC and before the TB, the controller, boost reference line, basic wiring, the pump, and tank which can be mounted just about anywhere. I think I may just hold off on installing any hard parts and just grab a M/W kit and start in on it. It doesn't even need a tune so I won't have to wait on the Cobb ATS to be released. I've installed multiple Nitrous kits so this would be super simple.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PewterCam

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen posts on this forum mentioning that even on a single 1/4 mile run by the end of the run timing is being pull (less power)due to heat and a water/meth kit will reduce IAT's more than any I/C and should stop timing pull due to heat on this engine with or without a tune.
Yes the stock IC is really poor on this car and the fuel system is near its limits as well with high boost tunes.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
Ok... There are a few things we need to consider...

I'm not a water/meth genius, but there are some issues we had on my previous platform (VW GTI) with water/meth.

The main thing was premature throttle body failure.. pretty much everybody's throttle body eventually failed, and they just replaced it.
Obviously they thought it was worth it, they loved W/M and didn't mind. I'm not talking failing after 1mo, it took years lol

Also, failsafes in case you run out of water/meth. This is only if you are using the meth to run a 100oct file on 93oct for example... but what if you run out of meth? What if you have mechanical failure and end up trying to run 100oct on 93oct and get a ton of pre-ignition? Just some thoughts.
Most people used the Aquamist HFS-4 to work with the complexity of that car's ECU and for the failsafes, but that system is nearly $1000 lol.

Moving on -- I would love to do water/meth on this car, if not purely for cooling purposes, but a few notes for the "newbies"

Try to avoid a Pre-Intercooler nozzle.
Why?
You will, eventually, get a nasty buildup in your intercooler. It will be a mixture of blowby and water/meth (or whatever mixture you run) and it will pool up in the bottom and cause issues...

Buy the right nozzles!
Why?
Not all of them are the same, not all of them have the same amount of atomization and they don't all spray the same. :)

Anyways -- I'm interested to see how everything works out for this car.
I love water/meth, and I'm interested to see how long it takes people to start doing a 5-nozzle setup.
One post-IC, and four in the intake manifold per cylinder...

Optimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ok... There are a few things we need to consider...

I'm not a water/meth genius, but there are some issues we had on my previous platform (VW GTI) with water/meth.

The main thing was premature throttle body failure.. pretty much everybody's throttle body eventually failed, and they just replaced it.
Obviously they thought it was worth it, they loved W/M and didn't mind. I'm not talking failing after 1mo, it took years lol

Also, failsafes in case you run out of water/meth. This is only if you are using the meth to run a 100oct file on 93oct for example... but what if you run out of meth? What if you have mechanical failure and end up trying to run 100oct on 93oct and get a ton of pre-ignition? Just some thoughts.
Most people used the Aquamist HFS-4 to work with the complexity of that car's ECU and for the failsafes, but that system is nearly $1000 lol.

Moving on -- I would love to do water/meth on this car, if not purely for cooling purposes, but a few notes for the "newbies"

Try to avoid a Pre-Intercooler nozzle.
Why?
You will, eventually, get a nasty buildup in your intercooler. It will be a mixture of blowby and water/meth (or whatever mixture you run) and it will pool up in the bottom and cause issues...

Buy the right nozzles!
Why?
Not all of them are the same, not all of them have the same amount of atomization and they don't all spray the same. :)

Anyways -- I'm interested to see how everything works out for this car.
I love water/meth, and I'm interested to see how long it takes people to start doing a 5-nozzle setup.
One post-IC, and four in the intake manifold per cylinder...

I guess I am not pretty much everybody because I have been spraying water/meth in my 2012 2.0 TSI Mk6 turbo Beetle for 3 years and my throttle body still lives. I also run an APR 100 octane file on 91 octane fuel plus water/meth on one nozzle after the I/C. FWIW stock power is 200 HP and 200ft/lbs at the CRANK and on the 100 octane file my 2012 turbo Beetle dynoed at 276HP & 315ft/lb at the WHEELS) your mileage may very.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
You may not be but I'm talking guys that were k04 and up. Is there a beetle forum or did you use golfmk6 because that's where I saw the issues in their water/meth thread

I almost went water/meth on my Uni k04 GTI but ultimately decided to switch to this platform lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtpavelka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I'm also interested in water/meth kit. Never used one. I've only had one other boosted application and that was a '93 fox body with a vortec.

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I have used multiple meth injection setups on several cars. On my STI I used Aquamist and my EVO I used Coolingmist. I put my current system together using Coolingmist and Snow Performance parts. The most important thing is to have failsafes. Snow Performance has some of the best failsafes. Also, have your meth injection jet approximately 6 inches from the throttlebody. Out of all the kits, the Aquamist is the nicest but will take the longest to install. It took me and my subaru tech buddy 6 hours to install the Aquamist. The other kits only take maybe 2 to 3 hours. There are some great gains from meth. I had 80k miles on my EVO with the meth kit. You can run it without a tune but you will not see all of the gains without the tune. I would also stay away from any tuner who tries to steer you away from meth. You want a tuner that has tuned cars with meth in the past. I ran a 50/50 mix of water and meth. I know a lot of people that just run windshield wiper fluid. I will be running meth on my 2015 Mustang GT with the Whipple kit. :

Here is a link with a lot of info in regards to meth injection.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937176

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Great discussion here guys! A typical addition to our intercoolers is a drill/tap location on the tank for the installation of meth injection. This is not a pre-drilled port, however it is a portion of the cooler with a thicker wall which is suitable for creating some nice threads. A few of our most recent coolers utilize this feature, as shown below.

11+ GM Duramax Intercooler

15+ WRX Intercooler

We are also working on development of a Mustang EB intercooler. We are hoping to incorporate a bung of this type into the end tank of our cooler. Is this something you guys see as a valuable feature?

Thanks
-John

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
That'd definitely be a fantastic addition, and would set your intercooler apart.

Seeing as the Focus ST still hasn't fully fought through the fueling issues with the time they've had, it seems that turning to alternative solutions will be the best option as of right now. So, alternate fueling sources like Water/Meth seems like a very strong option. If an intercooler had the ability to have a water/meth port in it, I would definitely choose that one.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I'm considering just getting a simple Snow Performance kit.
Sponsored