Sponsored

Warranty question for tracked vehicles

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Tried searching on the forum, doesn't seem to be any discussions specifically pertaining to the Ford OEM warranty on cars that are tracked.

I'm well aware that any sort of modifications can and will void your warranty, especially tunes. But I haven't seen any such discussion around being on track, for a non competitive/timed learning event if there is any wording in the Ford manual that such activities would not be covered in case of a mechanical failure.

Is anyone aware of such? I don't have the car yet but I'm looking at one, specifically with the track pack for such reasons. I imagine a car specifically optioned with a "track" option that they would be ok with people taking it on the track.

Obviously insurance and/or body damage is a whole nother story, more thinking of the mechanical aspect of it.
Sponsored

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
The owners manual has some recommended service intervals if you track your car. I would think as long as you are following their guidelines, you should be covered. That's my best guess.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Ford makes it pretty clear in the manual. They also make a statement that covers them at the end. It comes down to your relationship with your dealer. Ford has to prove it to you that you caused the issue.

Excerpt from manual:

"Using your vehicle on a dedicated road
course may result in degraded function
and failure of major systems such as the
engine, transmission and rear axle due to
the overheating of these systems. If you
intend to use your vehicle on a dedicated
road course, we suggest that you equip
your vehicle with racing-type coolers to
protect these three systems.

In addition, if the vehicle is subjected to
dedicated road course use, we recommend
the following vehicle durability
maintenance:
• Change your axle lubricant and friction
modifier after the initial (first) hour of
high-speed operation; thereafter
change the axle lubricant and friction
modifier every 12 hours (under these
conditions).
• Change your transmission oil after each
event where your vehicle is subjected
to individual on-track sessions
exceeding 15 minutes.
• Change your engine oil and filter after
each event.

Additionally, perform a multi-point
inspection on items specified in the
scheduled maintenance section of this
owner guide before and after dedicated
road course use. See General
Maintenance Information (page 344).
See the vehicle service manual for removal
and installation procedures. Replace with
Genuine Ford and Motorcraft™ service
parts as needed.
These actions may not necessarily protect
your powertrain from damage in dedicated
road course use. Subjecting your vehicle
to dedicated road course use even with
these proposed precautions may render
repairs non-reimbursable under the
warranty
."

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Well first off - they can't "void" your warranty. They can refuse a repair if it was caused by improper use/maintenance/modifications. Second - how EXACTLY is the dealer going to know you tracked your car? Follow the maint schedule and get in good with your service adviser and you will be just fine.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Warranty claims now become a "conversation" between you, Ford and the dealer. They'll know you tracked it.

Ford has stake in proving the car's track-readiness but at the same time they need to cover their butts for joe-schmoes that drive/maintain the car in stupid ways.

For an HPDE, with a full fluid flush afterwards, your car should have no problems. For time attack or autox, how you maintain the car depends on a variety of factors (how you drive, ambient temperature, etc.) and you might have to go well above and beyond what Ford recommends. It is *much* more complicated than just adding "racing type coolers".

Sponsored

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Well first off - they can't "void" your warranty. They can refuse a repair if it was caused by improper use/maintenance/modifications. Second - how EXACTLY is the dealer going to know you tracked your car? Follow the maint schedule and get in good with your service adviser and you will be just fine.
The rubber scuff marks on the underbelly, beads of tire rubber falling out of the suspension or feathering of the side walls of the tire surfaces during jacking the car on a lift are a dead giveaway! If you don't have any of these symptoms, you might have been on a racing surface, but you haven't "tracked" your car.

I was told if the work meets the criteria for abuse, then they wouldn't cover the work under warranty. This came up when they resurfaced my rear rotors after they were squealing and pointed out that the rotors had been "very hot".

NB: This is a good teachable moment...
When the service advisor points out that your rotors had been "very hot", don't grin broadly, offer a high five or show any sign of "oh heck yeah!". In future, I will furrow my brow and ask if the calipers might be binding to proffer some form of explanation for the extreme temperatures.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
The rubber scuff marks on the underbelly, beads of tire rubber falling out of the suspension or feathering of the side walls of the tire surfaces during jacking the car on a lift are a dead giveaway! If you don't have any of these symptoms, you might have been on a racing surface, but you haven't "tracked" your car.

I was told if the work meets the criteria for abuse, then they wouldn't cover the work under warranty. This came up when they resurfaced my rear rotors after they were squealing and pointed out that the rotors had been "very hot".

NB: This is a good teachable moment...
When the service advisor points out that your rotors had been "very hot", don't grin broadly, offer a high five or show any sign of "oh heck yeah!". In future, I will furrow my brow and ask if the calipers might be binding to proffer some form of explanation for the extreme temperatures.
:lol: The Ford Dealer suggested I buy slotted rotors for track use the only time I brought it for service. And yes they know you tracked your car the instant they plug into it. My previous Coach told me everytime he brought his GT500 in they would remark how they had never seen anyone with such high G'loadings and speeds on a data download. They know, don't hide it, the Customer / Service Rep relationship can go very well or very bad depending on how it is approached. They will not void a warranty, but don't track your car and complain the brakes are worn out :D

Reactions: 113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
:lol: The Ford Dealer suggested I buy slotted rotors for track use the only time I brought it for service. And yes they know you tracked your car the instant they plug into it. My previous Coach told me everytime he brought his GT500 in they would remark how they had never seen anyone with such high G'loadings and speeds on a data download. They know, don't hide it, the Customer / Service Rep relationship can go very well or very bad depending on how it is approached. They will not void a warranty, but don't track your car and complain the brakes are worn out :D
This is the best advice I've seen. Trying to hide that you tracked the car seems silly to me. I think it would be pretty damn obvious to any service rep worth their salt.

I'm not too worried about my dealer. I've bought two cars from them and have gone in, like clockwork, for basic oil change and inspection every 5k for 8 years now. Pretty much every service rep knows me by name, or at least knows my face and my car.

Personally, I don't anticipate running into problems with them, as both the service guys and sales reps know I plan to buy my next car/Mustang from them as well. As long as the repair costs aren't outrageous why would they risk losing a customer when they've already made bank off of me? Guess anything could happen but I'm not too worried about it.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Reminds me of the time Mitsubishi voided my warranty for "participating in competitive driving event" with my evo. (I assume they looked up my name online and found my scca results from auto-x.) :headbonk:

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've always been under the impression that Ford's stance has been that non-competitive performance driving (such as your standard track day) is fine, but entering a competitive event (as in the SCCA guy above) is where Ford draws the line. That seems to be in line with this: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...tang-will-void-its-warranty-despite-line-lock

Cotter clarified in his e-mail, "Racing (ex. in a bracket-style competition at a drag strip) would be an issue; testing the capabilities of the Mustang at a test-and-tune day where there is no incentive for fastest quarter mile times (etc.) is permissible. You can have plenty of fun at a track without entering the realm of 'racing.' Issues would arise when you are specifically competing against other cars 'wheel to wheel.' Testing the capabilities of the Mustang is not an issue."

Sponsored

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
For the record, I was honest with the local dealer near Laguna-Seca, and it did not make for a good outcome.

Sometimes you just get stuck with a passive aggressive sour-ass who would rather not help you, no reason or justification required. I guess in their eyes performance driving is bad.

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I think ignorance is bliss on their part. If you tell them they're somewhat obligated to either let a manager or Ford know before repairing your car. One time I started to tell my "guy" at the dealer and he simply looked at me and said "I didn't hear that...".

Clean off the tire pebbles, put a few miles on the rotors, scrub the tires a bit with regular pavement, give it a bath inside and out and under, and THEN take it in.
Sponsored