MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I would share a recent experience regarding warranty coverage. I called my Ford dealer about having a faint whining noise from the rear checked out. They said if I drop it off it would be 2 weeks before they could even get to it. However, if I made an appointment for about a month later they would be able to look at it when I took it in. So I made the appointment.

The car was also due for an oil change so about a week later I took it to my neighborhood shop where I usually get it done. I also had them change the differential fluid because it had occurred to me the whining noise might be from the differential fluid being low. However, changing the fluid did not stop the noise.

When I finally took the car in for the dealer appointment, they found a problem with the differential but said it wouldn't be covered by warranty because "someone else has been in there."

I explained it was just a recent fluid change and provided a copy of the receipt. The other shop used the correct Motorcraft differential fluid but the friction modifier additive they used was not the Ford product, so the dealer still had heartburn about the warranty.

I had the manager of the other shop email the dealer explaining precisely the product they used and why it's fine for the vehicles they use it in. I also reminded the service advisor that it's documented I made the appointment regarding the whining noise BEFORE the date of the fluid change.

After those discussions and emails, etc. it took a week for the dealer to finally decide the repair is covered. Be careful out there.
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have gone toe to toe with a few dealerships. Always keep every piece of documentation

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thats the problem with a lot of dealerships. They dont want to do anything and Ford unfortunately is pat of it. They expect you to buy the extended warranty, but then wont do crap.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Over the years I learned the best way to own a car while under warranty is to only get it serviced at dealerships. Ford pays for warranty repairs not the dealership. In order for a dealership to get paid they have follow ford`s guidelines. Of course dealerships have a certain level of discretion but you make it harder for them to deny anything when you had all done work by them.

Whenever you do your own maintenance or use aftermarket parts you will always run a greater risk of this. Even if you are legally in the right its still a hassle to make them repair something.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
LOL I'm going toe to toe with Vicrez right now. You should keep proper documentation and records on everything that is important to you. Times, Dates, Amounts and People Involved. When someone tries to step on you then you can step back!

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Over the years I learned the best way to own a car while under warranty is to only get it serviced at dealerships. Ford pays for warranty repairs not the dealership. In order for a dealership to get paid they have follow ford`s guidelines. Of course dealerships have a certain level of discretion but you make it harder for them to deny anything when you had all done work by them.

Whenever you do your own maintenance or use aftermarket parts you will always run a greater risk of this. Even if you are legally in the right its still a hassle to make them repair something.
I agree but when they can't get you in for a month it makes more tempting to go elsewhere.
Sponsored