Sponsored

VMP gen 3r everyones thoughts

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I agree that fitting phenolics will improve the IAT’s, the point is that a larger intercooler is a larger intercooler. Personally, based on my experience with the phenolic spacers, I wouldn’t fit ANY blower without them.
Combine phenolics with an inverted intercooler and you have the best opportunity to avoid high IAT’s.
The other point that seems lost on some people is the bit where the inverted blowers offer a longer inlet port. If you take a look at a Gen 2 Whipple, there is no ”length” whatsoever. Phenolic spacers also lengthen the port very slightly.
The concept of using a larger blower for the same boost isn’t novel. Look at what Whipple are doing, or what Eaton have done. The
The 3100 won’t be light-years ahead of the 2650 but I’d expect people to be picking up the 2650 at a discounted price at some point in the near future.
From what I can see, the difference in price is $450 USD. Personally, at that price difference, I wouldn’t even look at the Gen3R based on my experience of swapping out my Gen 2 Whipple for the Edelbrock unit.
Not a chance.
Food for thought.
I agree, I should clarify I was referencing the "used" marketplace for everyone who dumped their Gen3R's in exchange for the new platform.

New vs. New if it's under $1k difference I'd get the new flipped architecture. If he's patient, he can wait a few months and everyone who wants the newest/shiniest toy will be selling 2650 variants to upgrade.

But yeah, if it's a few hundo more, get the flipped unit. It's superior for a number of reasons, most noteworthy is simply more room for a bigger intercooler.

As far as volume goes, as long as you're not getting belt slip, I'd go as small a unit as could make the power I wanted.

People are talking about getting the 3.8L but there's virtually no one who's tapped out the 3.0L gen 5 whipple (that isn't a die hard race rat). If you're spinning the blower so hard you have to 10 rib it or live with belt slip, then I agree, move up, but I wouldn't run a giant blower just so I could live with 6 ribs. It's just more space under the hood (I'm already having to lower the motor to clear the factory hood) and more parasitic loss (although that's probably minimal).

I guess what I'm saying is that bigger isn't ALWAYS better, there's the same debate over on the centri side with P1 vs D1 vs F1 blowers. I'm also a fan of "better to have and not need" but a 10 rib setup and a gen 5 3.0 liter is good for over 1200 rwhp before someone says "alright, we're running out of blower"
Sponsored

khalismatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Non-PP, 6-Speed MT-82
If your pick is between the GEN 3R and the Odin, I can personally attest to the fact that you should, no, you NEED to get the Odin. Cooling is much, MUCH better in that platform. I had the Gen 3R blower and the same cooling set up however, the Odin has two bricks (1 for each bank) and it still amazes me to watch temps drop the more I floor it.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
So I think I'm pulling the trigger . Ive had my eye on the gen 3r for a couple years now. Its seems to be what I'm looking for in a blower . Offers that low end crazy kick in the pants, lots of rooms for future upgrades and power. What are your guys thoughts on this blower? How would this blower be mostly different from a centri?
The 2.65 VMP and Odin kit are great blowers. We sell them here at @LethalPerformance! Give @Logan@Lethal or myself a shout and we can answer any questions you have! https://www.lethalperformance.com/s...017-ford-mustang-gt/supercharger-upgrades/vmp
Sponsored