Sponsored

Used S550 @ Ford had tune still has Warranty?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
i would bring it up and be weary buying any used 5.0. these cars are notorious for being tuned, and driven hard and dealers know this, that is why that is pretty much the first thing they check now. that being said im dying to tune mine, but my warranty is piece of mind to me atleast during the life of my auto loan. its sad because i trust the tuner but i dont trust fords workmanship, and im not going to give them the benifet of denying something major due to a tune that in reality probably didint even cause the problem.
why would you trust an aftermarket tune and not Ford? Ford tunes their engines to minimize warranty repair. Aftermarket tunes are designed to maximize power.

If buying used Mustang, just assume that its been tuned, and that if it requires an engine or transmission repair, it won't get covered by warranty and make an offer that accounts for such risk.

Risk / reward ...
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
The ppl at Ford must just read this forum and laugh at all the fear of them finding signs of tuning. In the year I've been on here I've heard several different theories on how they detect tuning and they all conflict with each other. At the same time I've seen many contend that there is no code or anything else and it is literally just a matter of the dealer looking to see what the runtime on the PCM is which would reset anyway every time the battery is disconnected.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
engine tune is a different animal. A bad tune can be bad. :headbonk:
And your point is? I was referring to his dealership saying a catback would void the warranty, never said anything about a tune.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The ppl at Ford must just read this forum and laugh at all the fear of them finding signs of tuning. In the year I've been on here I've heard several different theories on how they detect tuning and they all conflict with each other. At the same time I've seen many contend that there is no code or anything else and it is literally just a matter of the dealer looking to see what the runtime on the PCM is which would reset anyway every time the battery is disconnected.

Working at ford, and having many friends at the local ford dealership as mechanics I can say with complete confidence that FORD can see the PCM logs and tell if it has been flashed. That doesn't go away when you disconnect the battery.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
I can say with complete confidence that FORD can see the PCM logs and tell if it has been flashed. That doesn't go away when you disconnect the battery.
Absolutely correct.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I had some basic work done at a Ford dealer, and mentioned that I really wished the exhaust note was louder, and was thinking of swapping in a FRPP exhaust or perhaps some other cat-back. The service writer agreed on the exhaust note being too quiet, but told me that they wouldn't be able to do any more warranty work on the car if I swapped out the exhaust, since their dealership policy was to deny any warranty claims on any cars with mechanical modifications unless they got a court order forcing them to do the warranty work.

So, be careful with anything that a dealer "assures you" if it's not in writing.
well all know this is false

and psa to everyone, jimmy is back and he'll always give the exact opposite and inaccurate response...or a lie. so if you're new around here don't take him seriously lol...

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I have got a very good relationship with my dealer. total trust in them. They use a local Speedshop for mods and if pre approved "no problem" they Cary a good track record of holding true to their word. A class act dealer

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I have got a very good relationship with my dealer. total trust in them. They use a local Speedshop for mods and if pre approved "no problem" they Cary a good track record of holding true to their word. A class act dealer
ain't the dealer, it's ford who has to approve the work...if someone blew it up it's not the dealer putting a new engine in there! :p

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Working at ford, and having many friends at the local ford dealership as mechanics I can say with complete confidence that FORD can see the PCM logs and tell if it has been flashed. That doesn't go away when you disconnect the battery.
I thought 100 or so key cycles and they have no clue if there was or was not a different tune on it?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
It's in Ford's financial best interest to be able to detect a computer update. It wouldn't make sense if that could be defeated by simple 12V power supply toggle.

So if you want to buy a used car that may or may not have had a tune, and may or may not have been tracked, either get a excellent deal, or else move along to the new car lot. Otherwise, "you’ve gotta ask yourself one question:
eastwood2.jpg

Sponsored

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
chances are you buy a used muscle car or any sports car in 2015 or 2016... it's been tuned and modded. people beat these cars to death not only with their feet, but their washing habits... it's why i buy new even if i do have to take that 1st year of depreciation hit.
Amen to that Brother!

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I had some basic work done at a Ford dealer, and mentioned that I really wished the exhaust note was louder, and was thinking of swapping in a FRPP exhaust or perhaps some other cat-back. The service writer agreed on the exhaust note being too quiet, but told me that they wouldn't be able to do any more warranty work on the car if I swapped out the exhaust, since their dealership policy was to deny any warranty claims on any cars with mechanical modifications unless they got a court order forcing them to do the warranty work.

So, be careful with anything that a dealer "assures you" if it's not in writing.
...A Ford dealership installed my FRPP Touring Exhaust. You can also buy Ford Racing parts through them. Exhaust was cheaper through American Muscle, had parts delivered and dropped off dealership and installed with invoice receipt in writing.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I would have bought a used 2011+ Mustang GT for 1/2 price, and then bolt on a Tremec and S/C, for the same price as new GT. And take my chances on repairs. But the used Mustangs I looked at were just a few grand off new. The used car salesmen were very optimistic. Granted those had leather, but I don't want to pay extra for that.

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
There has been 2 used S550`s 5.0 m6 at my local Ford that had Tunes-CAI-LTH that were returned to stock and traded for 5.0 auto`s I know them from the race track . I was told that once there has been a Tune installed warranty is void Period. But they sold them with balance of factory warranty, I`m sure this is happening else where also. Do they clear the history of having a Tune, I do not understand how they can void our warranty for a tune that has been installed then returned to stock also?:crazy:
Dealers prerogative! The dealer can honor warranty after mods or not. They can offer their own warranty if they think it will sell the car. I mean who's going to buy a used 2015 Mustang with low miles that has no warranty.

However...if the dealer does perform a warranty repair on a modded car that he has chosen to warranty...he's not going to get any reimbursment from Ford/Factory unless he defrauds them.

Like others have said. The warranty between the buyer and the dealer should be in writing for sure.

My guess would be in that case, it would only be valid at that dealer. Where as a non- modded car with a warranty issue can be taken to any dealer.

In addition, as far as the tune goes, my understanding is that the PCM in the 2016 does count the number of flashes. So even if you took out the modded tune and reflashed with the stock tune, when you went to the dealer for a warranty issue with the drivetrain, they would know the car/PCM was flashed and there would be a record of work with Ford that legitimately required that flash of the PCM.

That being said...if you went to a dealer for warranty work on a non- powertrain issue...the dealer may or may not check for that. But if you've got an after market exhaust and an CAI, if the dealers looking for a reason to not warranty, he's got ya!
Sponsored