Used 2016 GT 350 vs 2019 GT

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
I've been almost ready to purchase a 2019 GT after looking at several vehicles on the market. I frankly put the cart before the horse possibly to not first make sure that the 2018 Coyote 3 engine issues were something that must have been worked out. I had the exact car I want picked out and I was ready to fly out and drive it back which might sound crazy for a Mustang GT, but the Magneride cars with any discounts on them are few right now.

Anyway, I need a daily driver. I'm not crazy about a manual, but I was looking at a Performance Package 1 GT with Magneride and with the options I was hoping to get on it the price is in the range of a lower mile 2016 GT 350 and from a ride comfort standpoint I'm not sure these aren't fairly equal.

What would I need to be concerned about from a reliability standpoint, maintenance, or otherwise with a GT 350 as a daily driver?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
No all season tires fit these? Tire Rack only has two options showing period.

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
3yo. car over brand new w/options that you want. No brainer

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
3yo. car over brand new w/options that you want. No brainer
Well, one major option I would like would be an engine that doesn't require replacement under warranty and I'm afraid my confidence is shaken at the moment to hear the engine issues persist with the 2019 Coyote 3.

Gas mileage is much worse and there are no tire options for the stock rims I see. Those are daily driver problems to consider. I couldn't even order all seasons from Tire Rack to be installed to get it home.

It is cool to see the prices drop to a more affordable range. I hate to see these become ghetto fabulous, but at least they are attainable for those who coveted them when they were being gouged by dealers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Yes, your new 2019 GT will have an automatic, more tire options, more luxuries, etc.

However, going the other route, you'd have a Shelby GT350.

I say go with the latter :rockon:
It's certainly tempting. I'm seeing cars with 3k miles on them for the same price as a 2019 GT PP1 without Magneride.... that makes a really compelling proposition. These are practically new GT350s just without the warranty.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
It's certainly tempting. I'm seeing cars with 3k miles on them for the same price as a 2019 GT PP1 without Magneride.... that makes a really compelling proposition. These are practically new GT350s just without the warranty.
There will be a 5 year powertrain warranty for the balance of the time left that applies.

Sponsored

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
48K for GTP 10r80 401A PP1 MR B&O ESP S&S AE is overpriced for a 460hp car? How many 2019MY are having problems? As long as FMC is swapping out engines I have no problem with that.

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking at under $47k for a 2019 GT Premium, 401A, PP1, 10sp Auto, Magneride, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Safe and Smart, Extra Security, B&O Sound System - just about everything but the carbon fiber.... It's over $6k less than MSRP on this car and Magneride cars aren't being discounted much right now. I was ready to fly out and drive it home even if I had to order all seasons from Tire Rack and have them installed locally and haul the Pilot Sport 4s tires in the trunk/folded down seats regardless of how ghetto that might be to do that.

Then I thought I had really better find out what the issues were that I heard about and make sure it was fixed - which led me from Reddit asking around to here and I'm frankly in disbelief. I thought for sure it would have been worked out by now. I heard about this popping up a pretty long time ago now and then they thought it was isolated to a number of early production vehicles.

I'm actually thinking in terms now that the car might not make it all the way back (1,500 - 1,750 miles) and what might happen if the motor fails on the drive home. How much more of a nightmare that might become.

Not to mention the GT 350s seem to be having the same problem. Even the dudes on this forum don't seem to be putting that together. They're over in their section speculating that the assembly QA wasn't as good as the GT 350. Apparently that's not the problem?

How I can even be sitting here thinking I want to believe it's a fairly isolated issue that might be worth the gamble is enough for me to have my head examined possibly. I just let myself get really emotionally involved in the Mustang and now I've got to try to be more judicial in considering if it is worth it.

It might be argued that I'm asking on a forum in the dedicated section where people with issues are congregated reporting their problems, but these problems shouldn't exist. How many does it take before you just say you have to turn away from it before it becomes your problem too?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
4 track days. 150+ autocross runs. 15,000 miles of DD'ing. Zero, absolutely ZERO motor issues or weird sounds.

I'm actually thinking in terms now that the car might not make it all the way back (1,500 - 1,750 miles) and what might happen if the motor fails on the drive home. How much more of a nightmare that might become.

Sorry to sound like a dick but you have GOT to be kidding...

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
If I drive the shortest route it would be around 1,400 miles, but that would be through some bitterly cold parts of the country with snow on the ground.... If I drive south and go around the snow it would be over 1,700 miles.... but it would be through some incredible scenery and roads to experience in a brand new GT. Plane ticket is like $200. A few nights in a Motel 6 on the return trip might be $250. It's really hard to find the GT with Magneride right now.

There are guys over in the S550 forums talking about their cars not making it 1k miles before they are in service for a new motor. Several of them are super low miles and getting new short blocks (?). Whatever they're getting it's taking several weeks to perform the warranty service.

I went on a 7k mile road trip in my Honda this summer to Maine and up the coast... It had about 120k miles on it before the trip and it ate those miles up like a champ. Not one single issue. A more performance oriented car might have been more fun down the Blue Ridge Parkway, but the Honda wasn't exactly boring. My Honda actually has lower profile tires than the stock GT 18" wheels I have noticed. 235/45 vs 235/50. Not sure if that really translates to saying much, but something to think about.
Sponsored