Sponsored

UPR catch can - is it safe to have cable resting against it when hot?

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
I installed a UPR catch can and have a thick bundle of electrical wires (that is wrapped in black tape/cloth) pressing against it.
Even if I move the cable apart, it bends back to rest against the side of the can towards the bottom.

Is it safe to have electrical cables against hot parts. How hot does the catch can get during normal operation. I am guessing it will be upwards of 150F. I haven't researched the insulation temperature rating for cables inside the hood. I guess they've got to be designed to tolerate high temps.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
The exhaust is what does most of the melting of things on vehicles. I would be more worried about the cables/wires rubbing through and shorting after a while rubbing on something. Is there any slack to use a couple wire tires and keep the bundle from rubbing?

OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
... Is there any slack to use a couple wire tires and keep the bundle from rubbing?
Not much slack as the bundle of wires there is the size of a kids wrist. I should try wrapping the can in some sort of insulation like a beer can koozie and give that a shot

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

jpgc_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I've had this catch can for about a year and it gets hot but not that hot. I can pull it to drain it while filling my gas tank after just turning the car off. Its hot but I can still handle it with bare hands. If you are concerned with the wire bundles, add something like the dura wrap in the previous responses or another heat resistant wrap/tape around the wires that are close to the can.
Sponsored