Sponsored

*UPDATE PAGE 2* Gauging interest in black emblem covers……

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Solid black was always the way to go. It looks great on the Ford web site build function.
It only works on the bright colours and even then it's harder to read from distance. I love the new silver outlined version on Velocity Blue, it stands out nicely, as it should.
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Wonder how red trim on the emblems instead of silver would look, would match the hood and rocker stripes…

davtpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Here's a used pre-production Mach 1 at Montrose Ford in Ohio, chassis PP012, production date Sept 2020, with the original black emblems. These are the best pics they had listed but I am for sure going for black emblems on a silver car:

1626827162190.png

1626827244259.png
I have the iconic silver ordered and the sides would look great with the black. I do like the Silver/black on the back as the it’s more visible as this is

Pipefittermax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2306
I didn't like the silver highlight either, so I went with yellow from Bemaro, you can get the decals in several colors

20220319_151234_resized.jpg

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Black emblems installed. There are definitely tips for a successful project, as usual the first guy makes the mistakes...

The emblems are part # MR3Z-16228-AB, I paid $169.25 from Levittown Ford. Other supplies were black spray primer, semi-gloss black spray paint, painter's tape, isopropyl alcohol, and fishing line.

The emblems are oddly a two-piece construction which helps to explain the high price - adhesive and a black trim ring around a silver emblem.

IMG_4532.JPG

They come shipped with a firm clear plastic backing, and a foam surround attached to a less-sticky clear front film. Carefully remove the foam and front film, leaving the letters attached to the clear backing, for painting.

IMG_4534.JPG

I did the passenger side first. Removal of the stock emblems was pretty standard stuff. Alcohol wipe about 8" around and use painters tape to outline the location.

IMG_4531.JPG

Use fishing line to gently saw off the stock emblems. I used a hairdryer on the first side to soften the adhesive but not on the second side, it make the adhesive smear and was harder to remove. They came off pretty easily. Then roll off the big pieces of adhesive with your thumb and use alcohol and paper towels to remove the goo.

IMG_4533.JPG

Now the tricky part. The front film attached to the foam carrier is NOT adhesive, but the actual adhesive backing is pressure sensitive and super sticky so once the backing separates from the letters, DO NOT TOUCH THE ADHESIVE. This was one of my two fatal errors. On the passenger side, I pulled off the backing from the bottom of the letters to the top. This is definitely the better direction to do it, not from one side to the other. Then carefully try to look through the front film to line up the bottom of the letters with the bottom tape guide. This is hard because the letters will fall out of the foam if the foam is held upright! Once you get the bottom and sides eyeballed close, take a deep breath and apply the letters starting at the bottom and rolling up to the top. Then apply pressure to the letters to activate the adhesive. Pull off the foam and tape and you're done!

IMG_4538.JPG

Normally you F-up the first attempt and get better, but that didn't happen this time... I tried removing the backing from left to right on the driver's side, instead of from the bottom up. That caused the letters to lift out of the foam a little and get crooked. So I then made error #2 of touching the adhesive with the backing to try to get the letters back into the foam. The letters locked onto the backing and I had an instant moment of panic. Was able to get it off but could not get the "1" to line back up in the foam just right, and as a result the "1" on the driver's side is a little tilted and I am furious. It's not SUPER obvious but I know it's there, just like the crooked floor tiles in the basement :curse::headbang:

IMG_4542.JPG

So there you go. Here's a before and after pic, you can see how invisible the silver emblem on silver paint is, compared to the better contrast of the black emblem. Good luck if you choose this route!

IMG_4407.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kevin70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Scion xA, Mitsubishi 3000GT
I didn't like the silver highlight either, so I went with yellow from Bemaro, you can get the decals in several colors

20220319_151234_resized.jpg
That looks pretty good. I don't mind the silver, but the paint matching on a bright color looks good. I don't think the black emblems on the side look bad (though they probably would just "disappear" on a black car, but I think the black emblem on the back doesn't look good. You just can't see it on the black background. You might as well just remove the emblem.

OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Black emblems installed. There are definitely tips for a successful project, as usual the first guy makes the mistakes...

The emblems are part # MR3Z-16228-AB, I paid $169.25 from Levittown Ford. Other supplies were black spray primer, semi-gloss black spray paint, painter's tape, isopropyl alcohol, and fishing line.

The emblems are oddly a two-piece construction which helps to explain the high price - adhesive and a black trim ring around a silver emblem.

IMG_4532.JPG

They come shipped with a firm clear plastic backing, and a foam surround attached to a less-sticky clear front film. Carefully remove the foam and front film, leaving the letters attached to the clear backing, for painting.

IMG_4534.JPG

I did the passenger side first. Removal of the stock emblems was pretty standard stuff. Alcohol wipe about 8" around and use painters tape to outline the location.

IMG_4531.JPG

Use fishing line to gently saw off the stock emblems. I used a hairdryer on the first side to soften the adhesive but not on the second side, it make the adhesive smear and was harder to remove. They came off pretty easily. Then roll off the big pieces of adhesive with your thumb and use alcohol and paper towels to remove the goo.

IMG_4533.JPG

Now the tricky part. The front film attached to the foam carrier is NOT adhesive, but the actual adhesive backing is pressure sensitive and super sticky so once the backing separates from the letters, DO NOT TOUCH THE ADHESIVE. This was one of my two fatal errors. On the passenger side, I pulled off the backing from the bottom of the letters to the top. This is definitely the better direction to do it, not from one side to the other. Then carefully try to look through the front film to line up the bottom of the letters with the bottom tape guide. This is hard because the letters will fall out of the foam if the foam is held upright! Once you get the bottom and sides eyeballed close, take a deep breath and apply the letters starting at the bottom and rolling up to the top. Then apply pressure to the letters to activate the adhesive. Pull off the foam and tape and you're done!

IMG_4538.JPG

Normally you F-up the first attempt and get better, but that didn't happen this time... I tried removing the backing from left to right on the driver's side, instead of from the bottom up. That caused the letters to lift out of the foam a little and get crooked. So I then made error #2 of touching the adhesive with the backing to try to get the letters back into the foam. The letters locked onto the backing and I had an instant moment of panic. Was able to get it off but could not get the "1" to line back up in the foam just right, and as a result the "1" on the driver's side is a little tilted and I am furious. It's not SUPER obvious but I know it's there, just like the crooked floor tiles in the basement :curse::headbang:

IMG_4542.JPG

So there you go. Here's a before and after pic, you can see how invisible the silver emblem on silver paint is, compared to the better contrast of the black emblem. Good luck if you choose this route!

IMG_4407.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG
exactly how it was supposed to be. what are your plans for the rear emblem?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
exactly how it was supposed to be. what are your plans for the rear emblem?
Leaving it silver so you can see it against the black.
Sponsored