Sponsored

Tyres.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Had a quick search on here for discussions about tyres and it seemed to show folk mostly discussing the standard fit Pirelli and the Michelins most people seem to prefer.

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 285 on the front wheels and Michelin Pilot sport 305 on the rear wheels.

Even with the 305 rears, I find traction is only "Optional". Therefore I've been wondering about stickier rubber.
I see people fit Toyo tyres to tuned cars and I was wondering if anyone here has fitted the Michelin Cup 2 tyres to their Gen 6 Mustang?
I avoid driving my Mustang in the rain and so on the occassions I do, I don't need ultimate wet weather grip for the rear wheels.

I'd be grateful for any comments related to fitting stickier rubber to the rear wheels, etc.
Cheers.
:)
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Wow what power are you running? 285 on the front is huge!

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
What temperature range do you normally drive your car in? Mostly cooler 40-50 or warmer 70-80?
I'll drive all year round, in the dry. Ambient air temps will therefore range between ~5 and 35 degrees C.

Obviously I can switch to my set of original tyres for autumn/winter driving, but was wondering about stickier rubber for spring/summer on my wider wheels.

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Wow what power are you running? 285 on the front is huge!
I bought wider wheels with different offsets to the OEM wheels to bring the wheel rims flush to the wheel arches, rather than use spacers. Even with the wider 305 rears the car can light'em up when I get into the throttle.

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I bought wider wheels with different offsets to the OEM wheels to bring the wheel rims flush to the wheel arches, rather than use spacers. Even with the wider 305 rears the car can light'em up when I get into the throttle.
what power are you at?

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i run the same setup 305/285's on mpss and very much grip is optional especially when cold i do feel like they have to be scrubbed up / warmed up to get the best out of them once they are up to temperature usually through some creative drifting they start to really bite hard though.

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
i run the same setup 305/285's on mpss and very much grip is optional especially when cold i do feel like they have to be scrubbed up / warmed up to get the best out of them once they are up to temperature usually through some creative drifting they start to really bite hard though.
Earlier this year it seemed to me the rear tyres didn't want to know at 7 degrees C or less. But in those conditions I wouldn't be "pushing" anyway.
I've not drifted my car, it feels mahoosively too big an unwieldly for me to hoon it, so I don't get the tyres into that temperature zone.

I'm thinking I'd stick to the MPS4S on the front, but try something stickier on the rear as I want more control over when I need to look through the side window.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
mps4s are good on the rears i had them too but couldn't get them in 305 so when i stepped up i had to go mpss.

if you can order from the states nitto nt888r i think tends to be the choice they don't sell them in the UK but they're basically toyo's yank brand. Interestingly though that compound isn't available in toyo brand.

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
mps4s are good on the rears i had them too but couldn't get them in 305 so when i stepped up i had to go mpss.

if you can order from the states nitto nt888r i think tends to be the choice they don't sell them in the UK but they're basically toyo's yank brand. Interestingly though that compound isn't available in toyo brand.
Yeah, I could only find the MPSS when I needed rear tyres.

Ah! I didn't know about the Toyo/Nitto link. The company I got my wheels from suggested Nittos (can't recall which model) but as I hadn't heard of Nitto at that time, I declined.
Watching some YT videos of U.K. modfied/higher powered cars, I see some folk have fitted Toyo R888Rs?? I was wondering if any Mustang owners had experience of either the Toyos or the Cup 2s.

I think at this stage I may go Cup 2, once things in the U.K. move back closer to something "normal".

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i'm not sure the toyo 8888r's are the same as the nitto compound despite having basically the same name.
I know gibbo205 had cup2's on his mustang as does/did mac on his but neither have been around in an age.

Sponsored

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Wider tyres do not necessarily mean more grip! Be aware also that MPSS and MPS4S tyres are very fickle regarding tyre pressures. Before just seeking apparently better rubber I would thoroughly check the temperature that the current set up get up to - it may be, especially for the oversized fronts, that they are just not getting warmed up enough.

I would also suggest that you get a digital laser type thermometer and experiment with different tyre pressures. You’ll know when you have the pressures correct as, after a good run, the temperature across the width of the tyre will be even. However, even then the ‘right’ temperature may not be high enough for best traction. If this is the case you have over tyred the car and will always suffer poor traction.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
it won't be his fronts that's the issue it'll be his rears. mps4s's even cold are very nippy on the fronts..

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
it won't be his fronts that's the issue it'll be his rears. mps4s's even cold are very nippy on the fronts..
That's pretty much been my experience.
The front holds on, admirably.
But with over 400bhp going through the rears, maintaining traction has been an exercise in patience out of corners & delicate throttle control.
In my experience.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i find a lot depends on the road surface too. some roads around here are lethal regardless i've had a drift on at 10 mph just dumping clutch others you can toe it in 2nd and it'll just grip and go

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
If looks have anything to do with it, 888r’s are just damn hot ... :inlove:

Joking aside, I was reading a thread on here and they seem to be very well thought of by some of the big power boys :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored