Sponsored

Tyres

ian2144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT grabber blue/black roof
I see Yokohama Advan & Toyo Proxes are available in 275-40. I have used both before on lesser powered cars and been perfectly happy with them, but not sure how they would cope with 400+ bhp. Any one tried them yet ?
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Avoid Toyo T1R's and pretty much any Toyo on the Mustang, there performance cannot even rival the Pzero let alone a Michelin and they generally cope poorly with heavier cars and the Mustang with tank of fuel and driver is not far off 2 tonne.

AD08R from Yokohama is a fantastic tyre, really grippy in Summer and for track been a semi-slick, they are half decent in the wet too.
Advan V105S is also a good road tyre, fantastic grip in all conditions, my only complaint with them was they are quite vague for feel and the do lose performance as you wear them down whereas the Michelins keep performing well for example.

Tyres in order of Performance I'd say for road in all weathers:

PS4S
PSS
Continental SP6
Hankook V12 EVO (or any of the flagship Hankook)
Pzero "PZ4"
Bridgestone S04 (I prefer them to Pzero, they give a lot more subjective feel and predictability, but all out performance Pzero generally beat them but I'd take Bridgestones as they inspire more confidence).

There are loads you can try, the Michelins tend to be cream of crop, the other advantage Michelin tend to give is they generally last twice as long but don't cost double the money of say a Pzero, so in the end you save money and get the best performance. :)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Toyo R888R's work just fine on mustang :)

ian2144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT grabber blue/black roof
Avoid Toyo T1R's and pretty much any Toyo on the Mustang, there performance cannot even rival the Pzero let alone a Michelin and they generally cope poorly with heavier cars and the Mustang with tank of fuel and driver is not far off 2 tonne.

AD08R from Yokohama is a fantastic tyre, really grippy in Summer and for track been a semi-slick, they are half decent in the wet too.
Advan V105S is also a good road tyre, fantastic grip in all conditions, my only complaint with them was they are quite vague for feel and the do lose performance as you wear them down whereas the Michelins keep performing well for example.

Tyres in order of Performance I'd say for road in all weathers:

PS4S
PSS
Continental SP6
Hankook V12 EVO (or any of the flagship Hankook)
Pzero "PZ4"
Bridgestone S04 (I prefer them to Pzero, they give a lot more subjective feel and predictability, but all out performance Pzero generally beat them but I'd take Bridgestones as they inspire more confidence).

There are loads you can try, the Michelins tend to be cream of crop, the other advantage Michelin tend to give is they generally last twice as long but don't cost double the money of say a Pzero, so in the end you save money and get the best performance. :)
Thanks for that, I tend to stick with the major brands. I think it’s false economy buying cheap tyres ,but each to there own. I see Khumo Ecsta’s were also mentioned somewhere in the tread, I had khumo Motorsport tyres on my Caterham R400 very sticky in the dry , but absolutely horrendous in the wet.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyo R888R's work just fine on mustang :)
They are not a road tyre, anyone fitted those for a road car is to put it bluntly stupid, unless the car is an absolute hot summers weekend and track toy only.

R888R is bloody incredible on the track, like shit to a blanket, but damn are they a noisy tyre, when I fitted them to my EVO for track work I thought the diff or gearbox had gone, swapped back to the AD08R's tyres and noise gone.

On track they were incredible for outright grip, but that was where it ended, noisy on the road, average in the wet, very susceptible to aqua planing and really as such only a tyre I only would ever recommend for track use, they also wear down pretty quick.

Yes they work, but really not recommended at all for any road car, track car, absolutely.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
the R888R is the new compound you're thinking mostly of the R888 I think the older ones the new ones surprisingly not bad on any car although wouldn't want to try them in the wet but maybe still better than pzero's

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the R888R is the new compound you're thinking mostly of the R888 I think the older ones the new ones surprisingly not bad on any car although wouldn't want to try them in the wet but maybe still better than pzero's
No no I am fully aware of the 888R's and albeit though they are an improvement over the outgoing 888's they are certainly not a road tyre.

The only car I might consider them for on the road would be something like a Caterham / Westfield, but certainly not on a big heavy daily driven car.

Pzero is a lot better in the wet on the road, which is saying something, on a damp track yes R888R is better, but on a road R888R in a road RWD car driven in all conditions is just a very bad idea, in fact it is stupid, very stupid.

R888R's tend to cost twice the money of road going tyres, perform worse on the road in anything but the current heatwave were having and last about 1/4-1/3 of the time.

Like I say, on track they are superb, but have no place on a road car been driven on the road, there are far better options for far less money which will last far longer, only a crazy silly person would buy them for a road car.
Sponsored