Twin Turbo with VMP 69mm Twinjet Throttle Body

2017_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe and healthy!

Is anyone running the VMP 69mm twinjet throttle body with a twin turbo system? If so, any driveability issues or tuning challenges?

I have an MMR billet intake manifold with the VMP 69mm twinjet throttle body with my current set-up (ProCharger). Although my tuner was able to dial it in and the car put down 850 to the wheels, the car can be a little unforgiving if my shifts are not at a precise RPM level (tough when driving a GT350 with a 8,250 redline and the car desires shifts around 3,500 RPM).

I am considering a twin turbo set-up and want to know if I should abandon the MMR intake/VMP TB combination. I was not sure if the belt-driven blower is the cause of such hiccups, so I figured I would raise the question with the community. Thanks!
Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe and healthy!

Is anyone running the VMP 69mm twinjet throttle body with a twin turbo system? If so, any driveability issues or tuning challenges?

I have an MMR billet intake manifold with the VMP 69mm twinjet throttle body with my current set-up (ProCharger). Although my tuner was able to dial it in and the car put down 850 to the wheels, the car can be a little unforgiving if my shifts are not at a precise RPM level (tough when driving a GT350 with a 8,250 redline and the car desires shifts around 3,500 RPM).

I am considering a twin turbo set-up and want to know if I should abandon the MMR intake/VMP TB combination. I was not sure if the belt-driven blower is the cause of such hiccups, so I figured I would raise the question with the community. Thanks!
Sounds like you need to go over your setup. Check all mechanical. If still has hiccups put heat on your tuner. Comment in bold is a red flag. Probably mechanical. I cannot see a tuner being that dysfunctional to where tune wants to shift at 3500 rpm.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Is that the same TB that comes with their Odin kit? If so I have seen several instances were someone had to have that TB replaced once or twice before they got one that worked properly.
That said, dialing in a TB on these cars can be a chore and it could be tune related...

OP
OP
2017_GT350

2017_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thank you for the feedback, Black Dog and MKL_DS! The VMP 69mm twinjet is the TB that is included in the Odin supercharger package. My tuner did advise against the larger TB (monoblade and twinjet) and noted the challenges, but in my infinite wisdom thought it could be dialed in properly. The car fires up and idles well, but above 4000 RPM's, the shift causes some pretty harsh bucking. I might be dealing with a tune AND mechanical issue.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Thank you for the feedback, Black Dog and MKL_DS! The VMP 69mm twinjet is the TB that is included in the Odin supercharger package. My tuner did advise against the larger TB (monoblade and twinjet) and noted the challenges, but in my infinite wisdom thought it could be dialed in properly. The car fires up and idles well, but above 4000 RPM's, the shift causes some pretty harsh bucking. I might be dealing with a tune AND mechanical issue.
Have your tuner look into tip-in and are the imrcs turned off in the tune? Both of those can cause weird bucking / driveability issues.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
You are welcome. I would lean more to tune being off. Not knowing who your tuner is. Bucking will break things be careful. Give a shout out to Wengerd Performance if you cannot get your tuner to fix the issue.
Sponsored