Turbo Spool, Warm Up, Cool Down

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Most Turbo cars require a warm up and cool down (5 mins) to get the turbo going. Does the ecoboost require the same? What about a turbo timer or what is the story?
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I've just been going by the oil temps. Once the oil reaches normal temps, I can get on it. That usually takes 5 minutes or so. I just make sure that before I park it, I don't push the car too much for at least 3-5 minutes beforehand to cool the turbo a bit before letting it sit.

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I've just been going by the oil temps. Once the oil reaches normal temps, I can get on it. That usually takes 5 minutes or so. I just make sure that before I park it, I don't push the car too much for at least 3-5 minutes beforehand to cool the turbo a bit before letting it sit.
Same here, it's crazy how high the oil pressure shows on the gauge until the oil reaches normal temp.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Same here, it's crazy how high the oil pressure shows on the gauge until the oil reaches normal temp.
Yeah, I hope those without the perf pack still check their oil pressure. That shit gets near the danger zone just getting up to speed casually.

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Yeah, I hope those without the perf pack still check their oil pressure. That shit gets near the danger zone just getting up to speed casually.
Yeah I don't know they made the guage top at 100 it makes me feel like I'm going to blow the ship up when I'm at 90 shifting casually like your saying.

Sponsored

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
Nah you don't really need to warm them up for 5 minutes, that's rotary engine territory. Only need to let it cool down if you've done hard driving and don't want the oil to bake inside the turbo and if you do that much hard driving you would need a turbo timer.

I doubt companies would be make lots of turbo cars that require people to wait 5 minutes to be able to drive them...your average driving is going to turn it on, put it in gear and go.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
ok so its not just me with oil pressure...lol anyhow im wondering why its so high before it warms up

Rca4697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Based on what heppened to me yesterday, you do need to warm up the car till normal. Last night I turned my car on after having it parked the whole day and only waited about a minute before taking off. I felt the car running weird, spooling at around 12psi max and when I floored it, car was completely different. 10 miles later I decided to park and turn the car off and back on again. I waited for a few minutes and car came back to normal (better than before I would say) This is the first time this ever happens so from now on I'm warming thus baby up till normal.

hemiCouple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Turbo Focus ST

KazyMedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RX-8 and Toyota 86
On the 2 litre ecoboost the turbo is cooled by engine coolant as well. If you shut off the engine while the turbo is still a little too hot it'll "siphon" coolant to help cool it down. I'm not saying baking oil in the turbo is impossible but in the 2 litre's case it's improbable.
I was about to say this.:love:
Sponsored