Sponsored

Tuning questions ecoboost

RobBaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 6 speed, Performance Package in RR
I have some questions that may seem naive but let’s see if you can help resolve these. Others may have the same questions and afraid to ask.

It seems companies like Cobb offer hardware (and maybe others) that can change tunes on the fly ie economy or track. One question is if you drive with the track version installed but drive conservatively will your MPG be that much different than switching to the economy tune?

The same question would apply to third party tuners where you can’t swap out a tune. Is the aggressive track tune going to heart your MPG if you are driving conservatively?

Cobb and probably others offer tunes for 91 and 93 octane gas. If you have the 93 octane tune installed what are the downsides of running 91 octane, potential damage or just weak performance? Would running a tune out of sync with the gas be noticeable to the casual driver?

Could Ford QA these third party tunes and deem them within tolerances for warrantee purposes?

I would think that Ford wants to encourage third party participation as this can only contribute to growth (sales) for Ford.
Thanks
Sponsored

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
I have some questions that may seem naive but let’s see if you can help resolve these. Others may have the same questions and afraid to ask.

It seems companies like Cobb offer hardware (and maybe others) that can change tunes on the fly ie economy or track. One question is if you drive with the track version installed but drive conservatively will your MPG be that much different than switching to the economy tune?

The same question would apply to third party tuners where you can’t swap out a tune. Is the aggressive track tune going to heart your MPG if you are driving conservatively?

Cobb and probably others offer tunes for 91 and 93 octane gas. If you have the 93 octane tune installed what are the downsides of running 91 octane, potential damage or just weak performance? Would running a tune out of sync with the gas be noticeable to the casual driver?

Could Ford QA these third party tunes and deem them within tolerances for warrantee purposes?

I would think that Ford wants to encourage third party participation as this can only contribute to growth (sales) for Ford.
Thanks

Good afternoon,

On our full custom Cobb tune which is more aggressive than what Cobb offers off the shelf, we were still able to net 26-28mpg on the highway with conservative driving. The Economy mode just turns down the boost curve (I could get very technical here, but lets just say the boost comes in softer than the power tune), and the timing is a little more conservative with the intentions to keep the demand for fuel lower than it would on a power map.

If you were to run a 93oct map and put 91oct in the car you could potentially see detonation/knock, but the car is very good and predicting knock events and will automatically adjust timing/boost/fuel to accommodate. It is best if you are running 91oct to run the matching tune, there is a reason for it. :thumbsup:

carterussell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB Magnetic Premium
I have the Cobb tuning and I find it extremely difficult to get the same MPG with the high-performance map as the fuel economy map. For everyday trips, I have it on the fuel economy map and I can switch it very quickly if I want to get into it or I'm first at the stop light etc. You don't have to have the tuner plugged in to change the maps on the fly. Big plus for those like me who don't want a tuner on their dash.

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
the warranty question is just solely based on the dealer. not ford itself. are to many tuner companies out there for ford to look into making them warranty complaint.
According to the service department at my dealer, it's Ford's decision if there's any question about a blown engine, transmission or rearend. I doubt there would be any problem with normal minor repairs but he said Ford gets involved with major repairs for drive train failures.

That's a show stopper for me since mine came with a written lifetime power train warranty good at any Ford dealer.

I'd love to have a tune but I'm not willing to risk losing the warranty.

Jim

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
My experience is:

Mpg have been exactly the same stock and after my tune but I get to drive with higher performance. I drive very heavy footed and average 21 mpg all city. If I get on the highway my mpg are 28ish. I ve experienced the same numbers before and after tune.

I have run the 91 and 93 versions of my tune and the performance has felt the same. 0-60 has been the same. You can run higher octane gas than the tune but should avoid less. For example I have run 93 gas with 91 tune. I have read that there is a limit to which the car can adjust timing to account for less octane gas so unless you know how much I wouldn't risk it.

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
77 Corvette Black W/Flames
I have the Cobb tuning and I find it extremely difficult to get the same MPG with the high-performance map as the fuel economy map. For everyday trips, I have it on the fuel economy map and I can switch it very quickly if I want to get into it or I'm first at the stop light etc. You don't have to have the tuner plugged in to change the maps on the fly. Big plus for those like me who don't want a tuner on their dash.
are you able to switch it by changing your drive modes?
Sponsored