Sponsored

Trump says he will sign executive order temporarily suspending immigration into US

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
1Ys8xcG.gif
What he said.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
About time this was done.

There's Covid around here - we can't let these poor people in. They might die! If our actions save just a single immigrant, they are well worth it.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
About time this was done.

There's Covid around here - we can't let these poor people in. They might die! If our actions save just a single immigrant, they are well worth it.
Interesting. So when you read "Legal Immigration" you interpreted that as what, illegal Mexicans? Also why do you assume immigrants are poor? This country was built by immigrants. My great grandparents were immigrants as were most likely yours.

Now as it is very few people are actually coming into the country because of COVID-19 so nothing needed to be done. But our president has to come up with the "New Headline of the Day" so now he is placating his base with this. He will most likely reverse himself again tomorrow, as he always does when a new headline comes out.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Interesting. So when you read "Legal Immigration" you interpreted that as what, illegal Mexicans? Also why do you assume immigrants are poor? This country was built by immigrants. My great grandparents were immigrants as were most likely yours.

Now as it is very few people are actually coming into the country because of COVID-19 so nothing needed to be done. But our president has to come up with the "New Headline of the Day" so now he is placating his base with this. He will most likely reverse himself again tomorrow, as he always does when a new headline comes out.
Not sure where you got illegal from. I meant poor in the "poor and suffering" sense. As in they will be suffering and probably dying if they catch Covid from the unwashed masses here in US. Since they are immigrating they have no homes to shelter in. Why are you busy trying to play gotcha with wording here?

There's nothing wrong with people immigrating, but I don't know how you could want more immigrants to come in when you feel it's unsafe for me to go out and drive my car. Do you want them to catch Covid or something?

My ancestors have a couple generations on yours but yes I am not of what people call Native American blood (meaning those that immigrated across the Bering strait from Asia).

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Not sure where you got illegal from. I meant poor in the "poor and suffering" sense. As in they will be suffering and probably dying if they catch Covid from the unwashed masses here in US. Since they are immigrating they have no homes to shelter in. Why are you busy trying to play gotcha with wording here?

There's nothing wrong with people immigrating, but I don't know how you could want more immigrants to come in when you feel it's unsafe for me to go out and drive my car. Do you want them to catch Covid or something?

My ancestors have a couple generations on yours but yes I am not of what people call Native American blood (meaning those that immigrated across the Bering strait from Asia).
My bad, Hack, apologies. Just me overreacting. He actually is now saying that certain people will be allowed in. I guess my point is that it was unnecessary and uncalled for. He is fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Can't he just stick to trying to help us get rid of this thing?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My bad, Hack, apologies. Just me overreacting. He actually is now saying that certain people will be allowed in. I guess my point is that it was unnecessary and uncalled for. He is fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Can't he just stick to trying to help us get rid of this thing?
It's not a big deal and I was writing somewhat tongue in cheek in my earlier posts here. I get what you are saying, but in my opinion the president should be ambitious. Halting immigration during a pandemic is not a high priority, or even a mid priority, but it does make sense. Heck, we are saying people can't gather, shouldn't leave their homes, etc. Immigration is a luxury item in my opinion. Something we want but definitely not a high priority. The health and welfare of US citizens are higher priorities and more effort should be focused there rather than figuring out how to safely bring more people in during this pandemic.

I could go with the concept that we go back to operating as normal and see where the cards fall. Yes do immigration like usual, but also give American citizens back all their freedoms and remove all restrictions. That makes sense to me. But saying that the pandemic prevents us from going for a drive in our car or going to a restaurant but then allowing immigration doesn't make sense to me. Unless immigration is a higher priority than the freedom and safety of the American people.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
So, while most of the people in this country are in quarantine with stay at home order, it would be ok to let people cross the border and travel across the country? Should they be screened for CV19 first? Should we be using the tests that we don't have enough of for the American people? Almost every other country in the world is restricting travel but we should not? Try to get a plane ticket to travel to Britain right now.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
So, while most of the people in this country are in quarantine with stay at home order, it would be ok to let people cross the border and travel across the country? Should they be screened for CV19 first? Should we be using the tests that we don't have enough of for the American people? Almost every other country in the world is restricting travel but we should not? Try to get a plane ticket to travel to Britain right now.
Doc, there is a difference between travel and immigration. Travel restrictions are already in place and are not changing at the current time. Immigration is way down due to these restrictions. My point is that our president decided to make a totally unnecessary pronouncement to give his base something to cheer about and his detractors something to bitch about. This is all about his power to use an executive order. He constantly has to show us how powerful he is. But ask about COVID-19 testing and he puts it on the states. He never misses a chance to show us his true colors. The good news is that his poll numbers are down and many staunch Republicans are not happy with his handling of this pandemic.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Doc, there is a difference between travel and immigration. Travel restrictions are already in place and are not changing at the current time. Immigration is way down due to these restrictions. My point is that our president decided to make a totally unnecessary pronouncement to give his base something to cheer about and his detractors something to bitch about. This is all about his power to use an executive order. He constantly has to show us how powerful he is. But ask about COVID-19 testing and he puts it on the states. He never misses a chance to show us his true colors. The good news is that his poll numbers are down and many staunch Republicans are not happy with his handling of this pandemic.
I am not happy with Trump about his handling of the pandemic just like I haven't been happy with his budgets. I understand he has to live within our current political system, but I want him to be more conservative. In my opinion he's caving too much to the liberal side on both of these issues. I wish he were less middle of the road. He's probably winning over some Dems with his behavior, but more conservative people like me don't like it as much.

Doesn't mean we are going to vote for Joe Biden or something, though. So Trump is fairly safe at the moment. I'm just ready for him to loosen restrictions the sooner the better.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
He's only limiting legal immigration for 60 days. Temporary permits are still OK and Illegal crossings are never OK. The fewer strangers we have coming here right now the better off we will be. Other countries are not as tough on this virus as we have been and it's reflected in the infection rates as well as death rates.

Breathe people, it's a temporary freeze.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Other countries are not as tough on this virus as we have been and it's reflected in the infection rates as well as death rates.
Hi George, I beg to disagree. The numbers show differently. Our numbers per capita are significantly higher than most other countries. You want proof. Take a look at the testing per 1M.

Immigration is not a problem. It wasn't a problem. It will not be a problem. Testing is a problem. Once again, it's a misdirection.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.00.55 AM.png

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Hi George, I beg to disagree. The numbers show differently. Our numbers per capita are significantly higher than most other countries. You want proof. Take a look at the testing per 1M.

Immigration is not a problem. It wasn't a problem. It will not be a problem. Testing is a problem. Once again, it's a misdirection.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.00.55 AM.png
I was mostly thinking deaths per million. We aren't the best or worst, but many are worse. Could use a more comprehensive list, but I accept being corrected.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
You didn't really answer any of my questions though. I was under the impression that one had to travel to immigrate.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.