Sponsored

TRIPLE YELLOW S550 MUSTANG Thread

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Quick Q - I've read (and seen) yellow and red cars suffer from paint fade pretty easily (along with black ones).

Any idea how durable Ford's yellow paint is? My car is parked outside - and while Seattle does not have a ton of sun most of the time, the summers are pretty bright with long days. It's driven 3-4 times a week and I'm wondering if I should get one of these....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/covercraft-carcover-50th-2015.html

(I do wax the car 2-3 times a year with Collinite Double Coat)
Sponsored

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
Traded in the old 2001 mustang GT with 172,000 miles for a 2015 mustang gt premium performance pack. What a hell of an upgrade, i'm excited beyond belief, I've waited years for this moment. And yeah, I'm quite partial to yellow.

Obviously you have excellent taste.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Traded in the old 2001 mustang GT with 172,000 miles for a 2015 mustang gt premium performance pack. What a hell of an upgrade, i'm excited beyond belief, I've waited years for this moment. And yeah, I'm quite partial to yellow.

Congrats - both the 01 and 15 look gorgeous.
Question from a first time Stang owner - how was the car through 172k miles? Did you own it for long time and was it reliable, did it hold up well?? The mileage is insane, I have yet to see a modern German car (M3 etc) hit anything close to that.

Lastly - from the photo the yellow paint in your 01 looks amazing. Did you park it outside and feel the yellow was prone to fading?? Any tips on maintaining the look?

Cheers - love the rides.

MustangMark83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang GT
Congrats - both the 01 and 15 look gorgeous.
Question from a first time Stang owner - how was the car through 172k miles? Did you own it for long time and was it reliable, did it hold up well?? The mileage is insane, I have yet to see a modern German car (M3 etc) hit anything close to that.

Lastly - from the photo the yellow paint in your 01 looks amazing. Did you park it outside and feel the yellow was prone to fading?? Any tips on maintaining the look?

Cheers - love the rides.
I was the second owner. It was only a year old when I bought it in 2002. It held up well until the last few months. When it was around 150k miles things started to go wrong. If I were to list all the issues the car had, I would run out of room. But it still got me from A to B (although I felt like it was struggling each and every mile). The clearcoat is peeling pretty bad but it's hard to tell from those pictures, I had a re-spray done in 2004 because the original color was zinc yellow which is more of a faded yellow. I painted it screaming yellow which came on the 2004's and is very similar to the current triple yellow. It never saw a garage so I suppose it held up well for the last 11 years, never noticed any fading but about a year ago the clearcoat started to peel. I didn't do any waxxing, and I haven't washed the car in a year. It was pretty much so far gone due to it's age that I quit caring about it and I was more than ready for a new vehicle.

The only thing I replaced was the usual brake pads, clutch, fluids, etc. Pretty much everything on the car was original and I'm sure I could have put it over 200k miles on the stock block and transmission if I was willing to put some money into it. Which I might have done, but then the 2015's came out and well, I couldn't resist. Didn't really care for any of the previous model years to be honest. Ford definitely hit a home-run with the s550 :hail:

edit: if you're a first time stang owner I would like to point out that the 4.6L V8's were well known for their reliability. The ford crown vic's which many police departments and taxi cabs use have the same motor, just tuned down a little bit. Many of them are running around with over 300,000 miles. I can't speak for the 5.0 because I've never owned one until now. Cheers

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
So Mark what's your opinion on the new Triple Yellow compared to Screaming Yellow? In the pictures it looks quite similar.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
So Mark what's your opinion on the new Triple Yellow compared to Screaming Yellow? In the pictures it looks quite similar.
Good point. They look the same, I thought that was triple yellow in the 01 as well :-) (I need to brush up on my Stang history).:headbonk:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Whoa, now… don't go making any rash decisions. Triple Yellow GLOWS. If you want a bright yellow (and I did), TY is everything you were hoping for.
Here's mine in the sunshine the day after I bought it.
That looks killer Scott. Very nice.
And yes,........it does glow. :headbang:

Sponsored

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance

L0k1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tricolor Yellow with stripes.
I picked her up last night from the lot drove to a nice big car event. Finally got to get a picture of her when I got up for a morning drive.

11834863_1194697060545606_1559817205013567328_o.jpg
Sponsored