Trending on /r/cars: 2019 Shelby GT500 to receive Ford's new N/A 7.0L V8 w/ DI

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Thats astounding that ford would crank 800HP out of the 5.2 and give it a warranty. That thing is gonna be fast as hell and give the demon a run for its money on the street... even on the strip, and handle way better. Still...while it will be an ass kicker, it just won't be real special... sort of like the current hellcat. Not special...even tho it will outperform it in every catagory known to man.
Is the demons HP numbers with race gas or is that 93?
Sponsored

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Thats astounding that ford would crank 800HP out of the 5.2 and give it a warranty. That thing is gonna be fast as hell and give the demon a run for its money on the street... even on the strip, and handle way better. Still...while it will be an ass kicker, it just won't be real special... sort of like the current hellcat. Not special...even tho it will outperform it in every catagory known to man.
Is the demons HP numbers with race gas or is that 93?
808 on 93 Have to change tune and use 100 to get the 840.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
808 on 93 Have to change tune and use 100 to get the 840.
Wow, I guess the ford could outdo the demon, maybe offer a race gas tune thru ford performance to outrun it.
Knowing Dodge, with the 707 hellcat and their dyno results, the demon is probably making close to 850 on 93.
The demon needs that crate to run the 840 tune, correct?
How in the hell do you get the crate there? in the trunk? I think not, you gotta haul the darn crate there in a truck, so why not just get a trailer and haul the whole thing there? Better yet, why not just buy a cobra jet, or if your a mopar fan a drag pack challenger, and beat the demon?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It's power to weight ratio in it's lightest form will be about 5.26. If this next car weighs in at about 3900 pounds and has at least 750 HP it It'll have a better power to weight ratio
I know, but it would need to be gutted to get to under 4000 lbs IMO, that means no back seat, minimum as well as other weight saving measures.

ALSO, like mentioned above, the ford will dyno maybe 10 hp over factory numbers while the demon will probably be more like 40 to 60 over.

Sponsored

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Wow, I guess the ford could outdo the demon, maybe offer a race gas tune thru ford performance to outrun it.
Knowing Dodge, with the 707 hellcat and their dyno results, the demon is probably making close to 850 on 93.
How in the hell do you get the crate there? in the trunk? I think not, you gotta haul the darn crate there in a truck, so why not just get a trailer and haul the whole thing there? Better yet, why not just buy a cobra jet, or if your a mopar fan a drag pack challenger, and beat the demon?
The crate has tires, and tools. They ship it to you and it has a special mat for the trunk that holds everything. After you put 100 octane in you can hit a button and access the 840hp.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I'm with you. I was interested in the Demon until the whole crate thing showed up. Not interested in a lego set. The Demon is really only geared to hard core drag racers. If that's your thing it's the shit! If you want to rip down a curvy backroad not so much! I'm glad the GT500(halo) is benchmarking the ZL1 instead of the Demon! Dodge can have the straight line crown! Driving in a strait line would get old quickly!

Last edited:

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I know, but it would need to be gutted to get to under 4000 lbs IMO, that means no back seat, minimum as well as other weight saving measures.

ALSO, like mentioned above, the ford will dyno maybe 10 hp over factory numbers while the demon will probably be more like 40 to 60 over.
From all indications ford is planning on using much more CF/aluminum, I think with a tech package and full seats the car is going to come in around 3900-3950.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The crate has tires, and tools. They ship it to you and it has a special mat for the trunk that holds everything. After you put 100 octane in you can hit a button and access the 840hp.
The tires and everything fit in the trunk? I had a challenger and didn't think the trunk was that large those skinnys must be real skinny haha.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I'm wil you. I was interested in the Demon until the whole crate thing showed up. Not interested in a lego set. The Demon is really only geared to hard core drag racers. If that's your thing it's the shit! If you want to rip down a curvy backroad not so much! I'm glad the GT500(halo) is benchmarking the ZL1 instead of the Demon! Dodge can have the straight line crown! Driving in a strait line would get old quickly!
That's my sediment as well. To run the max time you swap the skinnies, swap the HVAC control (for race fuel button) reflash the computer, and fuel. Then if you get that magic 9 you get kicked because it doesn't have a full roll cage!! And the car has NO ability to go to a road course. Perfect for drag racers though.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
From all indications ford is planning on using much more CF/aluminum, I think with a tech package and full seats the car is going to come in around 3900-3950.
Now, if thats the case, the car is getting back to being exciting, even with the 5.2 CPC. It just needs something to give it a push, and special carbon and aluminum bits would do the trick. Usually with the GT500 it was the motor that made in unique and special, but I could go for body/chassis bits and pieces. if this car comes in weighing that much in a non R package with around 800 HP... that will be one hell of a car.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Now, if thats the case, the car is getting back to being exciting, even with the 5.2 CPC. It just needs something to give it a push, and special carbon and aluminum bits would do the trick. Usually with the GT500 it was the motor that made in unique and special, but I could go for body/chassis bits and pieces. if this car comes in weighing that much in a non R package with around 800 HP... that will be one hell of a car.
We'll see, hopefully sooner then later! I gotta think since the A10 ZL1 weighs about 3920 and comes basically fully loaded that would be the number they are shooting for, assuming is RWD.
Sponsored