Sponsored

Transmission/Gear box faults

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My car (Manual GT) is booked into the dealers due to a strange whirling sound coming from the cars underside/gearbox area, it happens when the car has done at least 5 miles and has warmed up, I'll feel that when I pull away very slow (creeping in traffic) in 1st I can hear what sounds like the cogs of the gear box rotating, at times this sound gets very loud until you start moving off faster then it will stop once the speed gets up, had a tech guy ride out with me today and thankfully he heard it to, I did at one point note that when I dumped the clutch the sound stopped. I have checked the US side and a lot of people seem to say the gear box on the Mustang does seem to whine and be rather loud, for those that have taken delivery of your car does yours seem to make a whirling sound like dry gear clogs spinning when you pull away really slowly? The tech guy said he'll drive the garages demo and see if that did it but knowing me it'll be fine, any feed back from you already new owners would be very useful.
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
The MT82 is Chinese and does have some QC issues, mine is silent thankfully but some report whining and whirring.

I'd not accept a noisy gearbox but also at same time could be tolerances and bedding in or it could maybe be low on oil as the factory short filling some on coolant so whats to say some did not get short filled on gear box or diff oil.

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
My car (Manual GT) is booked into the dealers due to a strange whirling sound coming from the cars underside/gearbox area, it happens when the car has done at least 5 miles and has warmed up, I'll feel that when I pull away very slow (creeping in traffic) in 1st I can hear what sounds like the cogs of the gear box rotating, at times this sound gets very loud until you start moving off faster then it will stop once the speed gets up, had a tech guy ride out with me today and thankfully he heard it to, I did at one point note that when I dumped the clutch the sound stopped. I have checked the US side and a lot of people seem to say the gear box on the Mustang does seem to whine and be rather loud, for those that have taken delivery of your car does yours seem to make a whirling sound like dry gear clogs spinning when you pull away really slowly? The tech guy said he'll drive the garages demo and see if that did it but knowing me it'll be fine, any feed back from you already new owners would be very useful.
Yes Twiggy mine has the same problem assuming one mans whining is another man's grinding but this needs to be posted upstairs with the grownups as we are a tiny fraction of the Mustang populace down here. I was just about to do it but as you already have the words in place...:thumbsup:

OP
OP

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'd say it's a whirling cog sound, thing that worries me is this going to be long winded, it's all very new to the tech guys over here at the mo.

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
A wise spanner monkey once told me the only time to worry about a mustang gearbox was when it was silent

Sponsored

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
I'd say it's a whirling cog sound, thing that worries me is this going to be long winded, it's all very new to the tech guys over here at the mo.
Yes, this is what I am dreading. I'm going to try and get mine in to be listened to at least on Thursday. Need to be firm with them I think.

Mine is a swirling grinding sound to my ears but what you say about the warming up thing...it has to be the same.

What was your build date BTW? Mine was 22/02. Faulty batch I wonder?

OP
OP

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If you're creeping in traffic mainly in 1st 2nd and 3rd and feathering the accelerator it's really becomes noticeable.

OP
OP

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yes, this is what I am dreading. I'm going to try and get mine in to be listened to at least on Thursday. Need to be firm with them I think.

Mine is a swirling grinding sound to my ears but what you say about the warming up thing...it has to be the same.

What was your build date BTW? Mine was 22/02. Faulty batch I wonder?
Sounds the same, just like dry clogs rotating which gets a bit tinny when it's really bad. Build date 01st March, came over on the boat called Salome not that that make a difference.

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
Sounds the same, just like dry clogs rotating which gets a bit tinny when it's really bad.
I'm getting quite a bit of vibration through the lever as well. Much more than I'd expect from something that's so infamously isolated by layers of plastic and rubber. Grasping it tight affects the volume and tone of the noise slightly but it certainly doesn't go away.

OP
OP

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm getting quite a bit of vibration through the lever as well. Much more than I'd expect from something that's so infamously isolated by layers of plastic and rubber. Grasping it tight affects the volume and tone of the noise slightly but it certainly doesn't go away.
Mine stops once you start moving faster, it only lasts a few secs. Maybe the reason we hear it when it's warmed up is because the oil has thinned if it is gearbox oil related.

Sponsored

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
Mine stops once you start moving faster, it only lasts a few secs. Maybe the reason we hear it when it's warmed up is because the oil has thinned if it is gearbox oil related.
I just popped upstairs and there's a guy from the Czech Republic with a new GT reporting something suspiciously similar. Gonna chime in...

OP
OP

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Last edited:

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
Mine isn't from the gear knob like in that video, mines more a gear cog whirling rotation sound around where the gearbox joins the engine. I'm no expert in this bit to me i'd say it almost sounds like the gear box is dry.
I still think it could well be the same thing - I'm just hearing it come up from underneath through the easiest route which is the shift boot. It's probably a right racket underneath. Just a shame it doesn't do it in neutral. Would be a piece of cake to trace then.
Sponsored