Sponsored

Track Day Preparation/2018 Mustang

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Hello everyone. New to this forum and to newer mustangs (also own 1966 and 1967 Mustangs). I'm an older guy looking to spend a perhaps once per month at my local track. I've never tracked a personal car but have rented time behind the wheel of exotics at the track.

What, in terms of vehicle prep, can expect to be required to do to enter the car? Safety equipment? I would guess each track is different so what in general will I need?
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
First post eh?

I would check with the organization that is promoting your event and their website.

Also a good general google search works well as preparations will be pretty universal no matter the event.

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
First time out. Clear all loose items from the car, take out the floor mats, and look over the car, look for screws/nails in the tires. check your fluids and make sure they are topped off. and i personally, even if you are on stock brake pads, get some good fluid in it, i like motul RBF 600 or 660, do a full flush with that

But definitely check with the group running it to get their tech sheet and go over that.

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^Thank you! This gets my thought process kick-started. I'm a stage4 cancer patient and have a limited time left on this planet. I certainly don't want to cut that time short with a easily-avoidable accident at the track.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
^Thank you! This gets my thought process kick-started. I'm a stage4 cancer patient and have a limited time left on this planet. I certainly don't want to cut that time short with a easily-avoidable accident at the track.
Can you tell us more about your car? Is it a performance pack car? If so you don't need to do much, they are a pretty capable car as they sit. I was very impressed with how well my car did first time out with the only mods being tires and wheels. Not perfect, but they do very well.

Sorry to hear about your health issue, my wife was diagnosed as stage 4 in 2011, given months to live and she's still sitting here beside me. A long rough road, but there is hope, new treatments come out regularly and they are making progress. It's clinical trials of new drugs that have kept her going for the last couple of years. I hope you find similar results.

Sponsored

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Thanks JohnD. Very encouraging post. I hope I can prove the docs wrong on estimated time left on my clock. This new Mustang is a pick-me-up and gives me something to think forward in life.

Anyway, the car does have the Perf. Pack 1 (10sp A/T). Good tip on tires. P Zero Neros are going in storage...

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You're going to be in the beginner class, right? Show up without crashing the car on the way, fill it up with gas before you arrive, ask someone to borrow their torque wrench and strike up a conversation while you check the torque on your wheel lugs, bring some water on ice, empty the car out when you get there, wear your seat belt and helmet, and listen to your instructor. That'll be fine. Stock brakes (especially Brembo) with stock fluid will do just fine. I went many track days before changing to a fancy fluid and stock pads are good, just create more dust than the moon. And the PZeros will do fine on track... especially the first time. They're not a bad tire. Little greasy once you get faster in the back half of the day, but you're not racing.

Spend money later.

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^Very true- novice class, not going to be placing anywhere near the front, just trying to make it around without endangering anyone else. We'll give the Neros a try. Thanks much for the other tips!

Last edited:

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
So I'm new to the track scene. I started with time trials at a cart track(<1mi) with 4 warm up sessions before the the timing. Graduated to track days last month. My first time, I didn't bring anything except my wallet, helmet, and a hat. Torqued the wheels before I left the house and bought food and water at the event. The car was great. the second time, I brought chairs for myself and GF, a cooler with water, gatorade, cokes and a large umbrella. I needed to fill up after my second session and used that opportunity to grab lunch offsite. I didn't spend too much time sitting as I was chatting with the people parked next to me and perusing paddock swooning over cool cars.

I had an instructor with me for my first two sessions, the first guy wasn't that helpful, yea he showed me the apexes and turn in points but wasn't really helpful in creating or keeping my pace up.

My second instructor was also showing me apexes and turn ins, but he was having me push myself, and the car. He'd call out braking points and that's when I really started to use the car, no more early braking and coasting into turns, no more coasting or braking through sections that I could actually hit flat out. That's when the fun began.

I've done two 1 day track days. The first with no prep beyond a visual inspection, the second I swapped the oil, trans, and diff fluid for. I intended to do a brake fluid flush and pad change but amazon let me down. I don't think I need anything else to keep this up, but I want camber plates to save my tires before my next event.

For a beginner, an instructor is a must, maybe even after they will let you loose on your own an instructor can help you have a great time and stay safe.

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^Thank you for this post. Yes, the instructor made a difference when I was tracking rental exotics. Maybe one out of three instructors I've had actually encouraged me to have fun and accelerate deeper into turns.

I'm still hazy on what I might need for restraint (internet has loads of info on 4, 5 and 6 point harness info) other than something that will keep my old rear to the seat in the twisties.

I need to make a list of support items to bring along. The track I plan on going to is in a fairly remote location.

Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
^Thank you for this post. Yes, the instructor made a difference when I was tracking rental exotics. Maybe one out of three instructors I've had actually encouraged me to have fun and accelerate deeper into turns.

I'm still hazy on what I might need for restraint (internet has loads of info on 4, 5 and 6 point harness info) other than something that will keep my old rear to the seat in the twisties.

I need to make a list of support items to bring along. The track I plan on going to is in a fairly remote location.
Which track are you going to? And which group are you running with?

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Depends how hard you plan on driving. I'd keep an eye on oil temps. Take it easy on the brakes. I wouldn't be too worried about staying in the seat with street tires. If you can handle it, turn off the traction nannies off (but please only do so if you know how it will affect the car). Get to know the other guys driving similar cars. First time at a track focus on 1 or 2 turns and work on exit speed. Have fun!

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
CAR TRACK DAY

NECESSITIES:

Helmet, SA2015
Ear plugs
Sunglasses

Cooler
One gallon of water in 16oz bottles
Two sandwiches
Chips
Food bars
Padded folding chair
Cash (maybe $300)
Tylenol/similar

GoPro kits with spare batteries
USB battery pack, fully charged to charge camera(s) battery(ies)
Suction mounts

GOOD-TO-HAVES:

Fire extinguisher
New bottle of factory pre-mix coolant
Ryobi P731 power inflator

Walmart 8gal Tough Tote or Milwaukee MTB2600 toolbox, inside:
New bottle of factory brake fluid
Two quarts of appropriate oil
Extra set, front brake pads
Tire air gauge
Torque wrench
Ryobi cordless drill w socket adapter
Two extra tool batteries
Compact ratchet/socket set and allen/hex key set for brake calipers
Work gloves
Cotton rags/towels/Blue towels
Two rolls of yellow painter’s tape and knife/razor blade

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Castrol SRF. Does not need to be bled as much as Motul, and ends up costing less in the long run. Have an open mind and have fun!

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I really appreciate your responses. I would come unprepared if it weren't for you guys!
Sponsored