Tire Pressures for Michelins 4S

RubberFeet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
S550
Tire pressures? Working with Michelins 4S 305/30 19s square. Lots of folks using much lower pressures than the 34f/33r numbers I have have been working with. When I go lower things start feeling, for lack of a better word, 'lumpy' and not planted to the pavement. Frt camber is - 1.5 R -1.25 Any one using this set up? What TP?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What size wheel? Generally I would recommend 30 psi cold, which will go up to about 32-33 after some driving.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
32psi cold and regularly checked with calibrated gauge. Racing has taught me that even .5psi can make a major difference.

Thinking about going down 1 psi. Problem is cold pressure can change 2-3 psi throughout the day. So 32 in the morning might be 34 in the afternoon. So its all a compromise.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I go 32 cold front, 28 cold rear
Factory pp1 staggered set up
Rides well, accelerates well, hugs corners with the nannies turned off well. I got it with 34 all around and started dropping from there until I was happy.

OP
OP

RubberFeet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
S550
BmacIL
MRR 11" wheels on all four. Coil overs, BMR bars front and rear set in the middle. Most of the rubber stuff gone in the IRS. Vehicle weight with full fuel 3590. 471 hp at the wheels. Std day density alt 5 to 6K ft winter. Way higher in summer.
The tp you are quoting is the middle of other discussions. Trying to find reason I feel queasy when I go to those lower numbers. Also, what are your front to rear ratios. I have always gone just a snad lower in the rear, assuming radial growth with application of power. Have not played on a track with these tires as yet. I expect that would clear up the mud.
Thanks for your input. Are you working with 305s?

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm running mine around 32/33 cold right now. Temps fluctuate from 40 in the mornings to 50s and sometimes upper 70s this time of year so staying on top of it is a pain.

Oddly enough, I get the best traction around 37 psi (warm) when the temps are higher and I've been driving around a lot. It could just be that the tires like the higher ambient temps, but 70° and 37 psi is when I can put my foot to the floor, in first, and not just break loose. This is with trac control off.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
BmacIL
MRR 11" wheels on all four. Coil overs, BMR bars front and rear set in the middle. Most of the rubber stuff gone in the IRS. Vehicle weight with full fuel 3590. 471 hp at the wheels. Std day density alt 5 to 6K ft winter. Way higher in summer.
The tp you are quoting is the middle of other discussions. Trying to find reason I feel queasy when I go to those lower numbers. Also, what are your front to rear ratios. I have always gone just a snad lower in the rear, assuming radial growth with application of power. Have not played on a track with these tires as yet. I expect that would clear up the mud.
Thanks for your input. Are you working with 305s?
For the street on a square setup I run the same front and rear. 275/35R19 all around. The wider you go the less pressure you need to handle the load. Also you don't increase the area of the contact patch unless you lower pressure, it just changes shape. Gotta balance that with wear patterns but my tires have been wearing pretty flat in that range of pressures.

For track I stagger 2-3 psi less at the rear.

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
Interesting reading.
In 4 weeks I'm doing a 580 mile 'race' against my boss thru Germany.
More here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/is-my-17-gtpp-faster-than-a-slow-bmw-116d.121319/
Me in my Mustang and him in his BMW 316d 1,6L diesel engine. I have 275 and 295 on my GT. What kind of pressure would U go with, that will give me less fuel use, since that is my major concern.
I'm sitting on these coilovers:
https://www.pedders.com.au/kits/sportsryder-extreme-xa-adjustable-coil-overs/
Thinking the tires will need to be at a pretty high pressure, and the coilovers on a harder setting since I will be going at maximum speed at some portions of the german autobahn.
Thoughts anyone?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting reading.
In 4 weeks I'm doing a 580 mile 'race' against my boss thru Germany.
More here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/is-my-17-gtpp-faster-than-a-slow-bmw-116d.121319/
Me in my Mustang and him in his BMW 316d 1,6L diesel engine. I have 275 and 295 on my GT. What kind of pressure would U go with, that will give me less fuel use, since that is my major concern.
I'm sitting on these coilovers:
https://www.pedders.com.au/kits/sportsryder-extreme-xa-adjustable-coil-overs/
Thinking the tires will need to be at a pretty high pressure, and the coilovers on a harder setting since I will be going at maximum speed at some portions of the german autobahn.
Thoughts anyone?
Probably not for either. I would leave the coilovers at the factory setting based on my experience via others with them. For tire pressures, I would consider going slightly higher for better fuel economy, but if you go too high you'll create more heat and wear of the tire. Around 36 psi at operating temp would be good, so start at maybe 33.
Sponsored