Threads
Reaction score
Website
craigbrimanson.myportfolio.com
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Ecoboost
I thought I'd share a tip on how to get all your iTunes library and purchased music to play on a jump drive through the usb port on our cars and get "playlists" on the usb drive as well. I have a base radio but I'm sure this covers the premium models as well. If all this was covered I did not see any thread on this so sorry if this is a repeat.

First you need to convert everything to a mp3 format. This will help save space and SYNC does not recognize most music formats that I've found. To do this you need to go to file > Convert > mp3. If mp3 is not an option you need to do this in the settings or preferences.

Also something else I did within iTunes was change the genre of the songs. Through SYNC, at least on the base models, when you try to play similar songs it seems like it only chooses songs within the genre. So I made sure certain artists had the exact same genre listed on it. Not sure if "Hip-Hop/Rap" and "Hip Hop/Rap" would mix the songs if you play similar music to an artist because of the damn hyphen. And some songs were labeled weird or off from how I would classify the songs.

To get around not being able to create playlists if you put songs into a folder on the usb you can access these folders from the radio. If you have the base model you can access this under browse usb. I just created playlists in iTunes and dragged the songs from that playlist over to the folders I created on the usb (ex: rock, classic rock, Kenny G, etc..)

If you have music purchased through iTunes that will not convert and they are in AAC file format you will need to either burn these to a disc then transfer them back to iTunes or get a file converting software. Some music purchased through iTunes before 2013 (i think) have DRM and cannot be converted through iTunes. This sucked because I had a lot.

Another thing I did was create a separate library on iTunes so it's easier to manage. Since I didn't want to have duplicate songs when I converted the music to mp3, I took these out of my main library and put them into the one for the Mustang.

What you need to do is sign out of iTunes. Close the application. Then on a Mac click and hold option/alt and while opening back iTunes and it will bring up a dialog to either open an existing library or create a new one. Choose create new. You can always go back to your old library by repeating these steps and choosing existing library.

Hope this helps for some people.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Really great info, thanks for sharing!

DaleH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost 50 Anniversary Convertible
I have mp3 songs in ITunes that I've put on a USB drive to play in my Sync 2 system. All seems well except I noticed an anomaly where one song is displaying the track number (part of the ITunes file name) and name and not the artist. This particular song is "I'm Comin' Over"; does anyone know if Sync 2 has naming restrictions where it doesn't like two apostrophes?

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I dowloaded a App called "Export for iTunes" in the app store for $8

You can load Albums or Playlists. I made a bunch of playlists on iTunes and used "Export for iTunes" to transfer them to the USB flash drive. All you have to do is check off what you want or don't want to the flash drive. Works great and all the Artwork shows up on the Sync 3 screen for all the songs. Real easy to do :thumbsup:

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have mp3 songs in ITunes that I've put on a USB drive to play in my Sync 2 system. All seems well except I noticed an anomaly where one song is displaying the track number (part of the ITunes file name) and name and not the artist. This particular song is "I'm Comin' Over"; does anyone know if Sync 2 has naming restrictions where it doesn't like two apostrophes?
Hey DaleH,

ATLDesigns550 shared some great tips! You can also look into a program called Sync My iTunes that will help index your music. This program can be found in your SYNC account under the Check For Software Updates section.

Cara
Sponsored