Throttle bodies

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You still need a coupler or something to mate the 80mm intake tube to the bigger 87mm throttle body. I don't think it's soft enough to be able to just stretch it out.
You can just cut off the end and use a silicone coupler, I've seen someone on here do that since I guess it necks down for the 80mm. But I see what you're saying now
Sponsored

Mike@SolerEngr

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Stingray, 2021 GT Premium

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
Thanks for the advice I’ve also heard to stay with the 80mm throttle body maybe add a spacer but that’s it. Thanks again
Spacers are useless. A throttle body may gain you 3 Hp. The GT350 one is probably the most reliable option, but requires an adapter. I probably wouldn’t mess with it unless you were doing a ported manifold at the same time.

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible A10
Spacers are useless. A throttle body may gain you 3 Hp. The GT350 one is probably the most reliable option, but requires an adapter. I probably wouldn’t mess with it unless you were doing a ported manifold at the same time.

I agree with an unported stock intake manifold. The Ford adapter, as I measured mine, goes from 87.5mm all the way down to 82mm. So, with that arrangement on a stock intake manifold, you are only getting an extra 2mm in diameter improvement regardless of how large the throttle body is that you use. In my case, my manifold opening for my blower was tapered down to 90mm, quite a bit larger than the stock manifold's 82mm. I had that Ford adapter ported to 87mm to get the full effect of the extra air flow area afforded by the 87mm Ford TB (area = pie multiplied by radius squared). The stock TB area available to airflow is 7.791 square inches; the unported Ford adapter is 8.186 square inches; and, the 87mm TB is 9.214 square inches.

My rwhp went from 666 with the stock TB to 697 with the 87mm and ported adapter. However, that improvement is significantly skewed by going from the stock airbox of 99.7mm to an open element CAI of 120mm on the same run. I can only suspect that the improvement of the 87mm TB alone was more than 2 or 3 rwhp. My increase was 28.34 rwhp. I'm guessing maybe a 40/60 split of TB to CAI in the increase?

Anyway, I'm going with the Soler 103mm digital TB next. Soler said that they would make it fit my application at no extra cost. At 12.915 square inches of total area for airflow, I should see some extra gain. 700+ rwhp on 91 was always the goal. Plus, working all of these steps to get to my goal was interesting and fun to do...
Sponsored