Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
https://leftlanenews.com/ford/ford-hasnt-ruled-out-a-born-again-mustang-svo/

Credible rumors claimed the Mustang High Performance introduced at the 2019 New York auto show would resurrect the storied SVO nameplate. We now know that they weren't accurate, but the Blue Oval might stick the three-letter nameplate on a hot-rodded, four-cylinder-powered Mustang sooner or later.

Motor1 asked Ford about the SVO name. "Not this one," a spokesperson replied, referring to the High Performance model. That's admittedly vague, but it's not a flat-out denial. Ford is, at the very least, leaving the door open to a modern-day SVO

Personally, I'm still not convinced as SVO no longer exists as a Ford (Special Vehicle) operation..........Jaguar Land Rover now use the name.......and if SVO were to be another 4-pot Mustang (as you'd assume), just what more, over and above the new High Performance version, would it be? (the only thing I can think of would be the hybrid.....but I'm putting money on that being based on the V8).
Sponsored

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
The name doesn't make sense anymore but the idea around the car does. I could see it on an EcoBoost powered Ford Performance Mustang.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Motor1 asked Ford about the SVO name. "Not this one," a spokesperson replied, referring to the High Performance model. That's admittedly vague, but it's not a flat-out denial. Ford is, at the very least, leaving the door open to a modern-day SVO
I think this is just another Ford vague wording to miss lead us and give them laughs on how most of the Mustang and automotive community will take hold of the least little thing and go stupid over it.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The name doesn't make sense anymore but the idea around the car does. I could see it on an EcoBoost powered Ford Performance Mustang.
I agree especially with the Ecoboost High Performance package already reveled

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
I just wanna know when they're selling that turbo from the High Performance Pack.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The only thing I could see would be for Ford to offer a SVO heritage special edition 2.3 liter Hi-PO Ecoboost for a one or two year run to pay homage to a historic turbo four Mustang.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Not enough interest in the old badges now. Today's cars are far superior and we no longer long for what we can already buy.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanna know when they're selling that turbo from the High Performance Pack.
The Turbo only will not work on old EcoBoost's as the engine is totally different in the new High Performance Pack.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Maybe the last spotted GT mule with bigger splitter and spoiler is the SVO. :bandit:

Sponsored

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
The Turbo only will not work on old EcoBoost's as the engine is totally different in the new High Performance Pack.
I thought the only differences in the engines were basically better heads and stronger internals.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I thought the only differences in the engines were basically better heads and stronger internals.
No, this 2.3 HPO is rumored to share the brand new block, liners and innards with the new 2020 European Focus RS.

Although, the new RS engine puts out @ 365hp/380tq, it is said to be getting an electric assist motor alongside this new 2.3L ecoboost in a new Ford hybrid design, totaling @ 400hp/450tq...!

That exact same RS hybrid design, might be what this rumored SVO is...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Most powerful EcoBoost engine yet in a Mustang
To make their project a reality, members of the Mustang team traveled to Valencia, Spain, home of the Ford Performance-tuned 2.3-liter engine, to convince plant management to build a new variant of the turbocharged four-cylinder specifically for Mustang. Then, with the Ford Performance-designed engine as a starting point, they tuned the EcoBoost to more broadly and responsively deliver a projected 330 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque achieved with premium fuel (per the SAE J1349 standard).

Having secured production of the die-cast alloy block and high-performance cylinder head, the engineering team specified a 5 percent larger 63-millimeter twin-scroll turbo compressor and a larger radiator, then calibrated the engine to run both Ford’s 10-speed SelectShift® automatic and 6-speed Getrag manual transmission.

The 2020 Mustang 2.3L High Performance Package is designed to run 0-60 in the mid-four-second range on premium fuel, with top speed increasing to 155 mph, a 10 mph gain over the 2019 EcoBoost Performance Package and 34 mph faster than the base EcoBoost Mustang.

“It’s not just the horsepower gains over the standard 2.3-liter EcoBoost, it’s the broader torque curve that delivers 90 percent of peak torque between 2,500 and 5,300 rpm, which is 40 percent wider than the base EcoBoost engine,” said Widmann…. “Plus, horsepower holds stronger up to the 6,500-rpm redline – enabling more usable power and torque for enthusiasts and weekend autocrossers to enjoy.”

Helping to deliver 143 horsepower per liter, the new 2.3L High Performance Package includes a fully active quad-tip exhaust system with a signature tuned sound
Sponsored