Thorton Chip Tuning

mdntblu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost
I just bought a 2020 EB (Not HPP) and wanted to know thoughts on the Thorton Chip Tuning tuner.
I got the Level 3 (60+ HP) one. It hasn't arrived yet but was reading on the forums about different things and wondering if this is a bad idea without doing any other mods? This was all I planned on doing.
https://www.thortonchiptuning.com/product/ford-performance-chip/

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Most of us here get pro tunes from PD or TunePlus. You get what you pay for.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Piece of crap, as are most of these plug and play things.

Not to mention I just made up a combo for my '2012 Mustang Ecoboost V8' from the drop down menu's, put it in my cart and its about to let me buy it. If you want good, reliable power buy a Cobb AccessPort or a Lund NGuage. They are the real deal. You do, indeed, get what you pay for.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost
Ugggg ok. Iā€™ll check out different ones from the ones you mentioned.
Iā€™ll get a refund return this one.
Thanks guys for the feedback.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost
Piece of crap, as are most of these plug and play things.

Not to mention I just made up a combo for my '2012 Mustang Ecoboost V8' from the drop down menu's, put it in my cart and its about to let me buy it. If you want good, reliable power buy a Cobb AccessPort or a Lund NGuage. They are the real deal. You do, indeed, get what you pay for.
So if I get this cobb accessport https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accessport/ford-mustang-ecoboost-accessport-v3 Do you have to leave it plugged in all the time for the performance to be there or can you set it and put it in a drawer until you need it next? Also does this caused the engine to get hotter? If you donā€™t plan on doing other mods such as inner cooler or exhaust or cold air intake does this work pretty well? What kind of performance can you get in regards to horsepower and torque?

Sponsored

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost
Never mind I sound like a noob!! But thatā€™s because I am. But I see now that you get the Cobb Tuner and then you can get specific tunes from different companies. But sounds like a tune isnā€™t good to do without upgrading other pieces of the Mustang. I leased one for 3 years (business write off) and will most likely buy it at the end of the lease but just wanted to see if I could up the HP and torque without major mods in case I donā€™t buy it and have to put everything back to stock and if thereā€™s cuts and welds they might be able to see that and charge me.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
From what I understand, (and this is what I did) you can store the factory tune to your Cobb device and then load the tune of your choice from the included menu to your ECU. Then remove until needed. The reason for leaving your device plugged in is for additional data (up to 6 gauges) and for data logging and/or trouble shooting.
Disclaimer: I've only had my Cobb device for a few days... and am still learning about the advantages and limitations it has to offer.
Screenshot_2021-02-12-13-30-25.png

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
The dealer will know you are monkeying around with the tune. I don't know the repercussions on a leased vehicle, but it could be as bad as you might be on the hook for a blown motor as they may claim you have voided the warranty and or lease deal.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
From what I have read online, if you choose to purchase an after market tune (to be installed, using the Cobb), you will need to upgrade your OEM intercooler.
As for which of the included tunes/maps from Cobb that are useable on your factory Mustang without any modification... I don't know, but would like to find out if any one knows!

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I also call BS on 60 plus HP gain on a chip tune alone.
It is hard to believe, considering the stage 3 (93octane) Cobb only adds 30 to 45 horsepower after basic bolt on mods!
But! I must add that if it does what they claim it will do, your way ahead of me, for a lot less money!! I'd like to see the dyno charts and customer reviews to back their claims.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I must add that if it does what they claim it will do
You can stop there, it won't. Even the more popular set it and forget it junk boxes that actually add power like the JMS PedalMax are a half-assed, Walmart, corner-cutting, backyard lobotomy for getting more power out of the modern engine management systems Ecoboosts use. They mask dumb parameters like pedal position and boost pressure and trick the ECU into increasing just those inputs. Ignition timing, AFR's, timing corrections, fuel pressure mapping, OAR and octane rating...none of those are adjusted and that's a recipe for disaster. Use it with less than great gas (91 or lower) or without an intercooler and you just increase the chances of catastrophic engine failure.

The 90's were a great time for this kind of stuff because, emission standards were not anywhere what they are today, most cars just used MAF's and turbocharged engine management was not nearly as sophisticated. You could add a catless downpipe, intake, and a manual boost controller and you could have 40 more horsepower before having to mess with any engine parameters.

People would do well to search google on some of these chips and pedal max's to see what people really think of them and if they're even popular in the community at all. They're priced much lower than the good tuner's for a reason. Its tempting, but its all marketing hype.

To the other questions. If you use the Accessport, no you don't need it plugged into the OBD port at all. You can flash the car, take it out and throw it in a drawer. I keep mind plugged in and on the windshield so I can watch all the parameters that the Ford gauges won't show. If you're worried about the dealership finding the tune, that's another story. The Accessport keeps the factory tune available as Stage 0 or something similar so whenever you want to go back to the dealership you just flash the factory tune back on and the car is back to normal. But they would have to actively be looking at the PCM to even notice. If you're in for an oil change or tire rotation, chances are they won't even be in there. I blew my rings out on cylinder #3. Reinstalled all my factory parts, flashed back to stock and the dealership rebuilt it all under warranty. Never found anything. But that's extreme and I have my own garage and tools.

In your case, a Cobb AccessPort with a Stage 1 tune sounds like a good idea. If you keep the car you can upgrade the tune as you add parts. If you sell it, you can sell the AccessPort on the forums for close to what you paid. It's a premium high resale item because they work and they're quality. Another route, you can purchase a small, upgraded aluminum radiator from the for sale forums for very cheap. It goes right in the stock location with no modifications or tune needed. Even on the stock tune, the car will run so much better thanks to you lessening the heat soak that plagues these motors. Dealers shouldn't have a thing to say about it either. Intercoolers are 100% positive mods, like using premium fuel.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost
You can stop there, it won't. Even the more popular set it and forget it junk boxes that actually add power like the JMS PedalMax are a half-assed, Walmart, corner-cutting, backyard lobotomy for getting more power out of the modern engine management systems Ecoboosts use. They mask dumb parameters like pedal position and boost pressure and trick the ECU into increasing just those inputs. Ignition timing, AFR's, timing corrections, fuel pressure mapping, OAR and octane rating...none of those are adjusted and that's a recipe for disaster. Use it with less than great gas (91 or lower) or without an intercooler and you just increase the chances of catastrophic engine failure.

The 90's were a great time for this kind of stuff because, emission standards were not anywhere what they are today, most cars just used MAF's and turbocharged engine management was not nearly as sophisticated. You could add a catless downpipe, intake, and a manual boost controller and you could have 40 more horsepower before having to mess with any engine parameters.

People would do well to search google on some of these chips and pedal max's to see what people really think of them and if they're even popular in the community at all. They're priced much lower than the good tuner's for a reason. Its tempting, but its all marketing hype.

To the other questions. If you use the Accessport, no you don't need it plugged into the OBD port at all. You can flash the car, take it out and throw it in a drawer. I keep mind plugged in and on the windshield so I can watch all the parameters that the Ford gauges won't show. If you're worried about the dealership finding the tune, that's another story. The Accessport keeps the factory tune available as Stage 0 or something similar so whenever you want to go back to the dealership you just flash the factory tune back on and the car is back to normal. But they would have to actively be looking at the PCM to even notice. If you're in for an oil change or tire rotation, chances are they won't even be in there. I blew my rings out on cylinder #3. Reinstalled all my factory parts, flashed back to stock and the dealership rebuilt it all under warranty. Never found anything. But that's extreme and I have my own garage and tools.

In your case, a Cobb AccessPort with a Stage 1 tune sounds like a good idea. If you keep the car you can upgrade the tune as you add parts. If you sell it, you can sell the AccessPort on the forums for close to what you paid. It's a premium high resale item because they work and they're quality. Another route, you can purchase a small, upgraded aluminum radiator from the for sale forums for very cheap. It goes right in the stock location with no modifications or tune needed. Even on the stock tune, the car will run so much better thanks to you lessening the heat soak that plagues these motors. Dealers shouldn't have a thing to say about it either. Intercoolers are 100% positive mods, like using premium fuel.
Wow. PRG3k You rock. This is super helpful info. This is why I love forums. Iā€™ve helped people so many times with my strong suits of knowledge in different types of forums.
Appreciate all this info.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Wow. PRG3k You rock. This is super helpful info. This is why I love forums. Iā€™ve helped people so many times with my strong suits of knowledge in different types of forums.
Appreciate all this info.
You're welcome!

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

Just a note, stage 0 isnā€™t the factory tune. Itā€™s a ā€˜simulated stockā€™ tune. When you install the ap it saves the factory tune to the device, the only time itā€™ll put that back on the car is when you choose the uninstall option to unmarry it. Semantics, I know, but if you have it flashed to stage 0 and the dealer flashes the ecu for an update or something, your ap is now married to an ecu that it thinks doesnā€™t exist.
Sponsored