The Photography Hangout Thread

DABKO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt & 2001 DHG Bullitt
I took this just after 5:00AM this morning at the Ford WHQ. Ford has been celebrating their 2016 LeMans Victory the last couple of days. The office lights should read, GT Wins At Le Mans but the 11th & 12th floor lights were not lit. I will attempt to photoshop them 'On'.

10 Second Exposure with 100 ISO and the car was bathed with a spot light. Nikon D3100

DSC_0130abweb_zpsbx3jys2q.jpg

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
My 2017 Mustang GT PP by James Paulhamus, on Flickr

Got a little happy with the Vibrance/Clarity slider.
I don't feel you went overboard with the vibrance or clarity. I have done that in the past, and it's way more obvious than that.

If I could offer a critique though, re-positioning the car so you didn't have the tall tufts of grass in front of the front splitter would have helped the image overall.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
718698.jpg

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Wow.... What happened to this thread? It should be renamed the "Car Gallery". There was good info here about cameras, lenses, how certain shots were taken and etc.

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
Wow.... What happened to this thread? It should be renamed the "Car Gallery". There was good info here about cameras, lenses, how certain shots were taken and etc.
I know, its starting to look a little like a plug for some of the vendors. Tossing up their photographers work without any details. Same thing in the cinematography thread. I need to make time to do a work through. E2 had some awesome info.

e2blade

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ffperformance.co
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'M BACK!

I've been insanely hard at work with episode one of The Function Factory. We're so close to being done and will be hosting a large premier party. Ford is more than excited to see the footage and we're more than excited to be working with them. My dreams are coming true and it's all thanks to this car.

Here's a snapshot I took of the Arizona's incredible sunsets after a monsoon.

D4s
14-24 2.8
Literally I parked the car and pressed the button.

28121967550_3a83043f7c_b.jpg
Tempe Arizona by Charles Siritho, on Flickr

28405062025_b53f5cf50d_b.jpg
My 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost by Charles Siritho, on Flickr

OP
OP
CompO5.sl0w

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
I'M BACK!

I've been insanely hard at work with episode one of The Function Factory. We're so close to being done and will be hosting a large premier party. Ford is more than excited to see the footage and we're more than excited to be working with them. My dreams are coming true and it's all thanks to this car.

Here's a snapshot I took of the Arizona's incredible sunsets after a monsoon.

D4s
14-24 2.8
Literally I parked the car and pressed the button.

Tempe Arizona by Charles Siritho, on Flickr

My 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost by Charles Siritho, on Flickr
Amazing man! Glad to see everything is working out for you!:cheers:

OP
OP
CompO5.sl0w

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
Quick question for you guys. So I've noticed in a lot of my pictures, mostly when I'm trying to get a dramatic bokeh effect in the background, the subject I'm shooting is only half focused.

For example, in the picture below the rear of the car is more crisp than the front. It's not as blurred as say the background, but you can tell the rear wheels are more crisp than the front.

27955892256_ba13c8a074_h.jpg
IMG_0953 by Trevor Whittington, on Flickr

What am I doing possibly wrong, and how can I try to alleviate this? Thanks guys!

Sponsored

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
Quick question for you guys. So I've noticed in a lot of my pictures, mostly when I'm trying to get a dramatic bokeh effect in the background, the subject I'm shooting is only half focused.

For example, in the picture below the rear of the car is more crisp than the front. It's not as blurred as say the background, but you can tell the rear wheels are more crisp than the front.

What am I doing possibly wrong, and how can I try to alleviate this? Thanks guys!
Unfortunately you cannot have the best of both worlds.. in order to increase your depth of field (increase the area in focus), you have to increase your f-stop. This will cause you to lose some of the bokeh effect. Only other option you may have is focus stacking and that might look a little odd with such a large subject. But check into it on the Youtube channel Phlearn.

[ame]

If you want the background to be way out of focus without focus stacking then it's best to have a bright background far view.

OP
OP
CompO5.sl0w

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately you cannot have the best of both worlds.. in order to increase your depth of field (increase the area in focus), you have to increase your f-stop. This will cause you to lose some of the bokeh effect. Only other option you may have is focus stacking and that might look a little odd with such a large subject. But check into it on the Youtube channel Phlearn.

If you want the background to be way out of focus without focus stacking then it's best to have a bright background far view.

Ahh, that's what I was thinking would be the answer. Thank you! I've tried adding some effect with the Blur tool in PS, but It just doesn't look natural so I don't really like using it.

Maybe even turning up the highlights would increase the effect as well? I may have to try that. So far I've gotten the hang of it, just really trying to pin point which F Stop I should shoot so the subject isn't blurred.

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
Ahh, that's what I was thinking would be the answer. Thank you! I've tried adding some effect with the Blur tool in PS, but It just doesn't look natural so I don't really like using it.

Maybe even turning up the highlights would increase the effect as well? I may have to try that. So far I've gotten the hang of it, just really trying to pin point which F Stop I should shoot so the subject isn't blurred.
Turning up the brightness a bit could make it a little better because it will lower contrast which makes it appear sharper.

I have found just through using various lenses that if you use around at least 3.5 then you can get most of the car in focus but even if you shoot further away from your subject it will make things appear more in focus. The closer you shoot to your subject the shallower your depth of field gets.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My question is , how does one take pics of their car outside and not have any cloud reflections on it, my ruby red is so shiny whenever I take pics, it just one huge cloud reflection everywhere.

I suppose need to either find a day with no clouds which is rare or maybe takepics closer to dusk and maybe backlight?

Typical result below with those darn cloud reflections:
IMG_8264.JPG

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
My question is , how does one take pics of their car outside and not have any cloud reflections on it, my ruby red is so shiny whenever I take pics, it just one huge cloud reflection everywhere.

I suppose need to either find a day with no clouds which is rare or maybe takepics closer to dusk and maybe backlight?

Typical result below with those darn cloud reflections:
One simple item. Circular Polarizer. You can get a cheap one or an expensive one, you can get a cheap one if you are just starting out and it will work well enough.
Sponsored