Sponsored

The "Golden Age" of car forums...LOL

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
I feel sorry for the guys doing builds 10 years from now, all the tech posted on FB will be long gone.
Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
From what I understand facebook is mostly just other people's drama they decide to tell the world about. I dont have facebook and most people are kind of surprised when they ask if I saw something on facebook and I say no....I dont have it.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
This and JeepForum is about all social media I care to partake in. Back in the day I did a couple of formula and IT race car forums, but I don't race anymore.

Never joined any mainstream except LinkedIn only because I was forced for something work related. A nice sale and commission was the result though. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
What gets me is that Facebook groups are even worse than forums about people doing ANY reading or research. It's not rocket science. But people can't be bothered to even click on a link and read through a thread on a forum that answers their EXACT question. The funny part about Facebook is it being linked (for the most part) to people's ACTUAL real life names and locations - yet people still run off at the mouth and get called on it. Not going to lie - that part is amusing.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
People on facebook CAN'T research because the search function is TERRIBLE for tech.

That being said, facebook is terrible for everything so I don't even know how tech discussion got there in the first place. Early 2000s car-forums were full of nerds who would geek out hard with very nice test setups and analysis. They were willing to share their results. Now-a-days, everything has a realized value and it's mostly just marketing. I can't blame them, but it is what it is. The current mustang community is very lucky in the sense that aftermarket performance is heavily backed by the OEM. Getting stuff done for most imports requires near absolute reliance on third-party companies to catch up with the engineering of the new models which just makes a lot of lead time. This was fine back in the day when everyone was seemingly working together. It doesn't work well anymore.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
People on facebook CAN'T research because the search function is TERRIBLE for tech.
Let me clarify, because I agree with you about the search function. I've literally answered questions and people have responded with "I don't have time to read all that..."

I'm serious. And then I've seen links posted to exact threads on forums which answer their question and it's like the refuse to click on it and spend a few minutes reading.

That being said, facebook is terrible for everything so I don't even know how tech discussion got there in the first place. Early 2000s car-forums were full of nerds who would geek out hard with very nice test setups and analysis. They were willing to share their results. Now-a-days, everything has a realized value and it's mostly just marketing. I can't blame them, but it is what it is. The current mustang community is very lucky in the sense that aftermarket performance is heavily backed by the OEM. Getting stuff done for most imports requires near absolute reliance on third-party companies to catch up with the engineering of the new models which just makes a lot of lead time. This was fine back in the day when everyone was seemingly working together. It doesn't work well anymore.
Well put. Reminds me of the forums / groups that started 'hacking' the old GM TBI and TPI ECM's before any company was doing anything like that.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Let me clarify, because I agree with you about the search function. I've literally answered questions and people have responded with "I don't have time to read all that..."
I'd be so tempted to come back with something like "OK, stay stupid then . . . or is that still too much reading for you?".

But I'd probably settle for "if you're not going to read the answer, don't ask the question".

Unfortunately, "TL;DR" has started to infiltrate forums.

Norm

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Social media will be downfall of civilized society.(If not already)

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I am on LinkedIn and I hope it doesn't become "work related" as I enjoy my privacy, what privacy I may enjoy online. Tech learning on forums has helped me a lot but finding the tech's to do the work I can't after throat cancer @ 59 years old is trying to say the least.
Nowadays, the dealership is "Raping my wallet" for the work.

Sponsored

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
I basically quit offering any advice on forums 5, 6, maybe 8 years ago. I got tired of being told I was "wrong" although I had results to back up my advice. Too many guys ask a question when they think they already know the answer, and all they are doing is looking for someone to validate it for them, whether it's correct or not.

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
I hate Bookface. The forums is where it is at.
Sponsored