Sponsored

Terrible squeal with Hawk pads

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Didn't have a problem so I decided to replace brake pads.

Put Hawk HPS 5.0 front / back, car is 2015 GT non-PP (standard GT brakes). Pads are grabbing nicely but brakes (front ones I am pretty sure) developed terrible squeal at low speeds (at the end of the stop essentially).

I used the provided grease at the back of the plate/pad.

What's interesting, car - I believe - was eligible for a TSB for a brake squeal but never had a problem on OEM pads - TSB essentially required replacement of pads and rotors.

Any ideas what to do other than putting OEM pads (well used by still some left) back in ?
Sponsored

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP, Recaros, Koni Yellow, 350r springs.
My experience with Hawk HP+ was terrible. Grabby, brutal noise, and faded worse than OE! Plus the dust seemed to eat my wheels. At least they're cheap! FWIW, Hawk race pads have a great reputation, but i don't think you want them for the street.

Sorry to be negative, but I think you'll have to put up with the noise, or get new pads. My personal preference is OE and Carbotech, but EBC and Ferodo have great reputations.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I had HPS on my RX-8. They were horrible. Couldn't even stop the car.

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
I had HP+ on my last few cars, I love them for their predictability cold or hot, my wife hates them and thinks they are embarrassingly loud, -The only thing I found that made a difference was titanium shims and a bit of grease between the piston and pad backing plate. Your results may vary

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Do you just grease backing plate or do you also grease sides of the plate (top and bottom) ? They were a tight fit into the caliper...

Hawk's Tech Support said they could have got glazed during Sunday's autocross... Well, if they did, they're really shitty...

Unfortunately there isn't many option for non-PP car, Ferodo doesn't make theirs.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
In addition to greasing the backing plate (which touches the pistons), you should grease the contact points of the rotor backing plate to the caliper (on the edges).

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I had Hawk pads once....I remember that day.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I got Hawk pads to hit a track day with a previous car and they performed great. They were loud on the street and I wouldn't run them on the street, but for track duty I loved them. I could be wrong but I just assumed a good track pad isn't really made for the street and vise versa. Figured they must work best when hot under high load but not good when cool and light use.

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
You just grease the back of the plate where it buts up against the piston-They are still noisy, but this will help reduce the noise-Great pads if you are tracking car, don't care about the noise and don't want to change pads. Added bonus if you don't want passengers they can drive your significant other from ever wanting to ride in your car again. Which means you can do stiffer springs, lose the passenger seat.... Win win..
Sponsored