Taking 2015 with mods in for warranty service, and nobody freaks out

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Took my 2015 EcoBoost in for A/C issues, and although none of my mods directly touch the A/C system...I was relieved that not only did they not say anything about mods and warranty but the tech wanted to discuss a few of them as he thought it was really cool. :)

He even has to remove the entire dash when the repair takes place, which I have two mods with toggle switches etc running through, and I offered to dismantle those before bringing it back for the blend door install this coming week, and the tech says don't worry I'll work around them.

I'm sure this isn't everyone's experience, but I gotta admit the moment I realized I needed a warranty repair I was freaking out they would find an excuse to reject it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
FYI the only thing I changed prior to bringing it in was to be sure the factory software was running.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The dealership generally doesn't care. It's work for their service department, and they want the work.

This whole idea that your warranty will be voided, or your warranty not honored if you modify your car, is silly. Anything that breaks under warranty will be covered, unless it's obvious that your mods caused the failure.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I got my windows tinted on my old tC and they forgot to fold the flaps around the window down into the window(don't know what they're called.) And they first said they weren't going to be covered under warranty(which I didn't think it would cause I caused it.) But they did cover it but they said if it happens again I'll have to pay. But it never happened again.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I dunno, I think it varies by shop. I took my '11 to one dealer where they took a crap over an aftermarket oil filter, I had them change fluid when it was there for the airbag recall. It was on the car when I bought it and I told the guy I know there are laws about that kind of BS but he was still grumpy about it. And the parts guy is just a dick there, does his level best to ignore you for as long as possible. I go elsewhere now, there's 3 dealers within 1/2 hour of me so he's just cutting his own throat.

Sponsored

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
The dealership generally doesn't care. It's work for their service department, and they want the work.

This whole idea that your warranty will be voided, or your warranty not honored if you modify your car, is silly. Anything that breaks under warranty will be covered, unless it's obvious that your mods caused the failure.
I agree. When I went to the dealership almost three years ago to pick up my license plates, one of the employees was admiring my new 2015 Mustang. He was not a salesman but he was a car guy.

After checking out the car, he says you new need to put a good tune on this baby to wake it up. Or something to that affect.

I said yeah, I want to but I'm a little nervous about it voiding my warranty. He told me that this dealership doesn't care about that. It was like the dealership expects certain Mustang owners to tune and otherwise mod their cars.

Now throwing on a non-Ford approved supercharger and having an engine damaged might be another matter.

Anyway, three years and a bunch of mods later, no issues. So I never got to actually test his opinion out. :cheers:

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Some dealerships are awesome about mods...some are dicks...find the good ones and give them the business and the good rep.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
The dealer I traded my EB in at didn't care about the tune at all (Ford tune). They just put it on the lot. Someone is going to get a very strong ecoboost out of the deal and probably wonder why its much quicker than the others!

OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)