Tail lights sometimes not working

Malithos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cortland
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I have a 2016 and the tail lights every once in a while one bar goes out. It’s always the same. Either the driver side middle bar or the passenger side outside bar.
I have found that if I restart the car it works fine afterwards.
Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Video I took this morning of it happening:
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
What fixed mine was having the dealer flash the latest update to the BCMB module.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I am not sure, but I do believe they cant be serviced only replaced. Are you still under warranty?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I think this is what happened to me recently, kind of worried since warranty is almost done.
What is the BCMB module?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Its a body control module. There are likely several in the car. Since I have no access to a 15+ wiring manual I have no means of telling you more. My wife's Fusion had two of these fail. The symptom was a non working passenger side window - thankfully it was up. Unfortunately as I understand it (unless its bs to get a service fee) the device has to then be programmed to communicate with the car after install. I took the two units apart and saw nothing that appears to be a programmable microprocessor inside. However that does not mean that the devices have static addressing which may require re-addressing on the car side to establish communication.

Often times a reflash update will be covered on a case-by-case recall or tech bulletin. A respectable dealer will tell you this knowing they get paid either way if covered...even if the car is outside the 36-36. However if not as was the case of our Fusion it is NOT part of the power train extended coverage as we found out...and which I expected.

Cost of each module from the dealer was $37.00 as I recall. Price may vary depending on year/make/model/location. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Here is a thread on the issue and in there is a reference to an old SSM that addressed the problem. It is no longer on the Ford system so no warranty at least for me.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tail-light-out-then-back-on.101551/

When I brought the car in I told them if they couldn't duplicate the problem I'd pay them for the BCM flash. They couldn't and I paid for the flash. No problem since.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
That happened just one time to me completely randomly and never happened again. Been wondering wtf that was ever since. I had just gotten a car wash and though maybe water got in the taillight housing and causing a short on one of the lights, but numerous car washes later, still hasn't happened again.
Sponsored