Sponsored

Sync 2 won’t update

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
2015 PPGT. I have sync 2 ver. 5.9. I saw an update to 5.11 available when I entered my VIN at the Ford owners website. Downloaded the file successfully. The problem is extracting files to my flash drive. One file will not extract, and gives me an “unspecified error”. I have formatted to FAT32 per Ford (for Sync 2). I also downloaded the file probably 5 times and tried the same process. Also tried on a PC and a laptop with the same results. I even tried extracting the files to a folder on my PC with no success. At this point I can only conclude that Ford has a corrupted download. I went a step further disabling my firewall and antivirus programs with no success. I plugged the flash drive into the car for giggles and the car’s system and it told me that the install failed. Has anyone done this successfully? I have updated the system once before but it was quite some time back.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I had the same issue upgrading my sync. It ended up being the flash drive I was using. It was formatted correctly, but my car just didn't like it. I tried a different brand and the install went just fine. Good luck.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue upgrading my sync. It ended up being the flash drive I was using. It was formatted correctly, but my car just didn't like it. I tried a different brand and the install went just fine. Good luck.
Thanks. Don’t think that is my problem since I keep getting a corrupted file even downloading it to my computer.

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Windows can't extract the files, they are self extracting for sync. You just copy them over without extracting.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Windows can't extract the files, they are self extracting for sync. You just copy them over without extracting.
i’ll give it a shot, although Ford’s instructions do say to “extract/unzip the downloaded files to your flash drive”.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nope don’t work that way either. Good Lord... I’ve built PCs and didn’t have this kind of trouble installing a stupid file. There is something corrupted on their end.

B56A1EB9-213A-436C-AE7E-5EA1D4A86EB7.jpeg

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
That's a file permission error. If it's happening on multiple computers you're right, it's got to be on fords end.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's a file permission error. If it's happening on multiple computers you're right, it's got to be on fords end.
Thanks. I researched this for a minute and the error seems to point to an issue with the default Windows unzip tool. Fortunately, I have an alternate program "7Zip" here at work, and the files did extract, so all I have to do now is try to install.

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Glad you got it worked out! I use WinRar to unzip things on my home computers - it's not "Free" but the trial never loses functionality.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I tried to update it again. Read the instructions and followed them to the letter to make sure I did not miss a step. Sync rebooted Itself and I thought it was going to do something, but after a bit, told me the installation failed. I think the same file is corrupted as before. So that’s it. My car will not go past v5.9 with the crappy software. I’ll wait to see if there is eventually another update and try it again. I’m afraid v5.11 will brick my system if I keep messing with it. Very hokey IMO. I’m usually tenacious about these things but I also know when it’s better to quit.

I did try both Winzip and 7zip, in addition to the default in Windows, with the same result.
Sponsored

Last edited: