Sway bar peeps please chime in

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
Hello . 2018 gt. My car is lowered 1" on steeda struts and springs, lower control arm with extended stud and bump steer rod ends and bmr front swaybar. I was running the stock end links since the install a couple of years ago. I decided to put in adjustables so I could bring the front bar back to it's natural position. As my understanding when the car is lowered with stock links it would pull up on the front bar (increase the distance from it's original position at the stock ride hieght) so my question is shouldn't the front links be adjusted longer then stock to make up what would be an increased distance? To make the bar more on plane with the control arms back to the stock relationship? The rear would be opposite since the bar is above the mounting point. Im asking because I did purchase adjustable links(not steeda) and they can not be adjusted longer then stock because of thread engagement. I called the company and they told me they should be shorter because I'm raising up the suspension. By raising up the suspension I am actually increasing the distances from the sway bar center line and mount to the strut. After talking with the rep he was kinda having a loss for words and was following my logic. These aren't cheep ebay No name links they are from a reputable company who builds these cars. Sorry about the bad wording fat thumbs and small phone. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
To follow up on my post I did some research, 2 brands that did have the range of adjustment in the description both confirm what I'm thinking. For the front they adjust from close to stock length to 20 and 35 mm longer and on the rear about stock length to about 20mm shorter. The links I have are the opposite.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the front endlink mounting points on the strut will ride higher with shorter springs in there.

im not sure endlink length is a big deal though, you still need to keep the swaybar clear of the control arms below it, so theres probably limited room to move it down on a lowered car.

A stock length endlink in a stock strut and knuckle area will fit if a car is lowerd or raised. The sway bar doesn’t care that much if its parallel with the control arms. It cares that the endlink is roughly perpendicular to the bar, roughly parralel to the direction the suspension compresses, and that the bar itself is clear of the control arms. I supposeadjustable length can help with fit issues from using different bar adj holes or something.

idk, don’t overthink it. Its just a pushrod that connects two points. Its job is pretty simple. If the angles are reasonably close, then the differences in bar rate and stress on the joints will be fine.

OP
OP

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yes the front endlink mounting points on the strut will ride higher with shorter springs in there.

im not sure endlink length is a big deal though, you still need to keep the swaybar clear of the control arms below it, so theres probably limited room to move it down on a lowered car.

A stock length endlink in a stock strut and knuckle area will fit if a car is lowerd or raised. The sway bar doesn’t care that much if its parallel with the control arms. It cares that the endlink is roughly perpendicular to the bar, roughly parralel to the direction the suspension compresses, and that the bar itself is clear of the control arms. I supposeadjustable length can help with fit issues from using different bar adj holes or something.

idk, don’t overthink it. Its just a pushrod that connects two points. Its job is pretty simple. If the angles are reasonably close, then the differences in bar rate and stress on the joints will be fine.
Thanks for the reply. That's basically what I am meaning "perpendicular to the bar". At stock length they aren't really perpendicular to the bar and can be much better. Even though it may not change the handling much I bought these links to get it in it's best position.
Sponsored