Sponsored

Swapping GT Side Mirrors for GT Premium Mirrors (with Turn Signals)?

Combat Wally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Guard w/ OTT Racing Stripes
Hi guys,

Anyone done a swap of side mirrors? I'm in the UK, so need turn signals/indicators in the side mirrors. I've got a US-spec 2016 GT Performance Pack with plain Jane side mirrors - no indicators, no heat, no fold, etc. Thinking I can purchase some GT Premium Pack side mirrors and install them. Should work. What do y'all think? Got a part number? Thanks! :cheers:
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a car and it's a mustang
Best I could find

https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic...icator-system-pair-premium-2015-2018/p/EMG4P/

https://www.americanmuscle.com/cdc-sequential-turn-signal-mirror-closer-1517.html

Please Note: This mirror glass will not fit 2015-2018 Mustangs outside of the United States with the larger side mirrors. They will only fit USDM models

*These mirror glass pieces are designed to only work with 2015-2018 Premium model Mustangs that come equipped with the Blind Spot Indicator System and turn signal markers built into the side mirrors from factory. If your Mustang does not come equipped with these two options, this side mirror glass will not work.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Might be off topic or irrelevant, but I think some countries require larger side mirrors than the US ones.

OP
OP
Combat Wally

Combat Wally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
No, you're right on the money, HoosierDaddy. I think the UK side mirrors are larger. I might have to look at getting some of those here, vice ordering some from the States. Thanks!

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Have you talked to a Ford mechanic about this? It may not be an easy swap. Prem cars are wired and the computers set fior their mirrors. A base car may have neither. Please do not assume simple plug and play.

Example: 2015 LE 50th Mustang has unique sill plates that do not light up. Folks bought standard prem sill plates that light for a simple switch. Pulled the old plates and hey- wiring plugs right there. Great?

Nope. While the wiring was there the car's computer was not programed for them and they didnt work. A few guys got dealers to pull some codes from other mustangs to get them to work but it required a ford mechanic who really knew his way around a computer.

You need to find out if the base car even has the internal wiring and then find out if it is programed to work aka plug and play-- before you spend money on the mirrors.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Have you talked to a Ford mechanic about this? It may not be an easy swap. Prem cars are wired and the computers set fior their mirrors. A base car may have neither. Please do not assume simple plug and play.

Example: 2015 LE 50th Mustang has unique sill plates that do not light up. Folks bought standard prem sill plates that light for a simple switch. Pulled the old plates and hey- wiring plugs right there. Great?

Nope. While the wiring was there the car's computer was not programed for them and they didnt work. A few guys got dealers to pull some codes from other mustangs to get them to work but it required a ford mechanic who really knew his way around a computer.

You need to find out if the base car even has the internal wiring and then find out if it is programed to work aka plug and play-- before you spend money on the mirrors.
Ive never heard of such a thing. The turn signals are activated by a switch mounted on the stearing column. I doubt the pcm has anything to do with turn signals.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
Ive never heard of such a thing. The turn signals are activated by a switch mounted on the stearing column. I doubt the pcm has anything to do with turn signals.
The PCM doesn’t control lights. The BCM does and he is correct. The base car may not have the correct wiring in the door and the bcm still needs to be programmed to work with the mirrors.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Can you provide a wiring diagram to this effect? I get the wires wont be there based on the type of car. But why would the mirror lights be tied into the body control managment?

OP
OP
Combat Wally

Combat Wally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Probably just splice 'em into the front turn signals, yeah? That's what I'm thinkin'.

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Probably just splice 'em into the front turn signals, yeah? That's what I'm thinkin'.
Drill into dash and add pep boys toggle switch. Wire directly to battery!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Combat Wally

Combat Wally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Probably just gonna pull the trigger on FR3Z-17683-L and FR3Z-17682-M that my buddy sent. Then I'll let an IVA conversion company here in England do the wiring. I am thinking that the existing wiring that will come with the side mirrors will then be spliced directly into the front indicators. Should be fine.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
So I am planning on doing the same thing, but there is a lot of wiring necessary.

It seems (but I cannot confirm this yet), that the wiring does exist from the BCM up to the connectors C311/313 (the connectors between car and door), but the wires and terminals are missing in the door wire harness.

So it is still possible but not that easy. Anything related to the BCM can be changed using FORScan, but it might not be necessary. For me everything was correct already.

OP
OP
Combat Wally

Combat Wally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
So here in England, I'm gonna go with https://www.shipmycar.co.uk/. I've spoken with them, and they said that if I provide the side mirrors they will wire them in for me. I agree with you on the door harness connectors. I was just now thinking that maybe an end clip from a Premium GT could be used, then they can just splice the other end directly into the existing front indicators. Know what I mean?

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Yes, I think I understand you. Hope this works out for you. I got a door wire harness from a Premium GT and will "enhance" the existing door harness.
I hope that the wires and terminals in the car are already in place.

Let's see and have the fingers crossed ;-)
Sponsored