Sponsored

Swapping body parts between models

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I've been curious for awhile about swapping body parts between models (fenders, bumpers, etc) for awhile now. I am wondering if it is literally just a few components to swap out to make the changes over.

For example, I was looking at the GT, GT350, and GT350R front fenders. The only differences I found were the fenders, front bracket, and fender liners. Everything else appears to be the same parts. Depending where you shop, it is a $1500-ish swap (minus labor and paint). With a bit of luck, you could find some good junk yard finds and save a bit more.

Is it really that easy? Reason I ask is I'm looking for ways to get bigger wheels (and thus more tire) on my car and maybe improve airflow (for cooling mostly but downforce is also good). All the new GT500 China parts are coming out but they appear to be the same width as the GT. I was wondering if getting the GT500 parts will help with this or if it is more difficult than I'm thinking.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Front bumper is also wider to account for the wider front fenders too.

With the right offsets, you can easily fit a 10-10.5" wheel on the front though. If you don't mind it too much, you could also have poke like the PP2 setup.

There are probably also some suspension geometry changes on the GT350 and up models as well but I haven't really looked at that.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Front bumper is also wider to account for the wider front fenders too.

With the right offsets, you can easily fit a 10-10.5" wheel on the front though. If you don't mind it too much, you could also have poke like the PP2 setup.

There are probably also some suspension geometry changes on the GT350 and up models as well but I haven't really looked at that.
I figured there were more changes; however, my suspension is heavily modified at this point so I'm not too concerned about suspension. The extra weight of the wheels I figured I would mitigate with aftermarket wheels versus getting something OEM. For example, the wheels I have do have GT width/offsets and GT350 width/offsets. The GT350 offsets are closer to what I want but they would poke way out on my GT fenders. I am curious if the GT500 is going to be any wider than the GT350. So far all I see is a wheel difference from 19" to 20" but appear to have the same widths.

The GT350 front bumper does offer up some more "holes" for cooling compared to the GT but the GT500 hood offers much more in my opinion. Though that may be unnecessary for an NA car. Plus GT350 parts are likely going to be significantly cheaper than GT500 parts for a long time.
Sponsored