corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This has me curious as to how it would sound opening up the front third, installing a crossover pipe to create a true H pipe and leaving the rear section factory packed
My guess is that the crossplane V8 rumble would be 'softened' a bit - you'd have more actual flow sharing going on and the last section would still be acting as a weak sort of secondary H.

Interesting thought, though. Opens up the notion of other internal mods as well (plenty of room to hide a true 'X' as well). Welding all around any actual crossover tubing might be a bit tricky if you weren't willing to open up both the top and the bottom of the can, though.

Norm
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
My guess is that the crossplane V8 rumble would be 'softened' a bit - you'd have more actual flow sharing going on and the last section would still be acting as a weak sort of secondary H.

Interesting thought, though. Opens up the notion of other internal mods as well (plenty of room to hide a true 'X' as well). Welding all around any actual crossover tubing might be a bit tricky if you weren't willing to open up both the top and the bottom of the can, though.

Norm
Yeah I would be willing to open top and bottom. I just thought this would be a neat idea for guys like me that are catless and need the sound to be softened up some

OP
OP
wrongwayup

wrongwayup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrei
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
it can
This has me curious as to how it would sound opening up the front third, installing a crossover pipe to create a true H pipe and leaving the rear section factory packed

be easily done but in the lower third there is basically a h-pipe... i like to call it a HBOX-Pipe ...if you wanted you would have to do my mod then do the lower smaller third where you could open the it up more where you will cut out bigger sections of the holes. then weld it all back up... not sure how that would sound , it would be an almost free experiment and probably sound really good

OP
OP
wrongwayup

wrongwayup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrei
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
i like

Norm

I like that...the possibilities are endless

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Another thing I like about this mod is that you put the fiberglas back inside and keep the cabin drone/noise to the back end of the car. My two best sounding cars were the 2011 Mustang GT I had with headers, Roush blower and GT500 axlebacks and the 1964 Galaxie 427 stroker I built with stock cast iron Ford header manifolds and a fabricated "H" pipe my buddy made at Eaton for me. 40 years ago. Still a fantastic sound that no small block will ever be able to replace. Putting your hand at the end of the mufflers had this massive pressure like a leaf blower.
Sponsored