Sponsored

Supercharger on a track day car

Earlj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt, 2008 Z06
Would like to hear if anyone out there is running a Whipple supercharger on their 5.0?
I would like to have one but do not want to compromise being able to do HPDE's

Any imput on this would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
There has been some discussion, but I'd keep an eye on Sock's build for real world data:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12272&page=46

I'm sure there are others out there as well but haven't really looked into it. Before my mustang, I had a 2011 M3. Lots of those guys tried to make similar type superchargers work on the 4.0L V8 and were never able to control the heat for more than a few laps. Hopefully, coyote owners are more successful with the mustang.

Would be cool to have the power, but I can't maximize my 370rwhp now on track. :)

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
I'm running a Paxton at HPDE's. Granted I live in SoCal and haven't raced over the summer, but I haven't had an issue with temps. Oil temps were getting a little higher but I'm installing an oil cooler now so I think that should take care of that.

pstoppani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Given how hot the car runs stock, you'll need a oil cooler, trans cooler, diff cooler, probably bigger radiator, and the biggest intercooler/heat exchanger you can fit.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
The factory GT500's got pretty warm. My instructor at Daytona had a modified GT500 which he traded for a Porsche because throwing more money at it became pointless. Heat soak doesn't go away. Quick out of the gate but not much for distance. If you do it make sure the tune is very conservative. Max power is only good when you are drag racing between turns. You can not have enough additional cooling. Power is always fun though :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Earlj

Earlj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt, 2008 Z06
I decided to work on handeling upgrades and temp control first. Thanks for the input!!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Oof... I'd be all over a centri for HDPE biased car but not a Whipple. Maybe that's just me.

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Mustang
I wish I could have afforded a GT350 with track pack. I went with the EcoBoost though and I honestly think it is the next best option for the track. Upgrade the intercooler, suspension and brakes and you'll throw down faster laps than a lot of higher powered cars. The weight balance is amazing and my car has embarrassed many people that didn't give it a chance because it wasn't a V8.

[ame]
Sponsored